HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY !!!

Apparently the undeserved fame Christopher Columbus enjoyed grew out of new Yorks italian community back in the 1790's. And he was considered a racist at the time. Or so the article said.

You may have learned in school that Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492 in the Niña, the Pinta and the Santa Maria and proved for the first time in history that the earth wasn’t flat. Actually, he didn’t — discover America or prove that the earth wasn’t flat, and there is some question as to the names of his ships.

His four trips from Spain across the Atlantic — in 1492, 1493, 1498 and 1502 — did, however, change human history forever, ushering in what is known as the Columbian Exchange — the historic exchange of plants, animals, disease, culture, technology and people between the Old and New Worlds. The Old World, for example, got chocolate (and many other things), and the New World got wheat, along with bubonic plague, chicken pox, cholera, malaria, measles, typhoid, etc., which decimated the populations of indigenous people Columbus found living on the islands he “discovered.”

Please explain how you can sail West to end up in the Far East then bright one.

Hey man, I qualified my post with, according to the article. Just saying.

But having said that, I've flown on airliners that flew north on a short cut to destinations to the east, west and south.

Last edited:
Italian Pride On Display At NYC’s Annual Columbus Day Parade

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The world’s largest celebration of Italian-American culture came marching through Manhattan on Monday.

The Columbus Day parade brings out Italian pride for all New Yorkers. It is now in its 72nd year, as CBS2’s Ali Bauman reported.

Oggi tutti siamo Italiano. That means, ‘Today, everyone’s Italian,” said U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) “And my name is Schuma!”

Even the chillier temperatures couldn’t deter Italians and Italian-Americans from around the country from coming out to wave that green, white and red along Fifth Avenue between 44th and 72nd streets. More than 35,000 people marched, and the event drew around a million spectators.

Marching bands kept the beat, while polizia cars ran laps. Everyone felt that amore.

One young participant, Lorraine Caiccio, said the best part for her about being Italian was “that, like, you could share it with others.”

Italian Pride On Display At NYC's Annual Columbus Day Parade

:beer:

gettyimages-613798760_master.jpg

So.....where are all the people who lose their shit if a Mexican-American waves both flags?

Are the scoundrels in the picture refusing to assimilate?

Are the Italian-Americans refusing to learn English and demanding that that all publications be printed in Italian? Are they sneaking into the country and demanding amnesty and to be placed ahead of everyone else in line for citizenship?

So.....where are all the people who lose their shit if a Mexican-American waves both flags?

Are the Italian-Americans refusing to learn English and demanding that that all publications be printed in Italian? ...?

Italy in US - Newspapers, magazines, websites and blogs of interest

Italian American bilingual news source

About us

Are the Italian-Americans refusing to learn English and demanding that that all publications be printed in Italian? ...?

Italy in US - Newspapers, magazines, websites and blogs of interest

Italian American bilingual news source

About us

Do we "press 2" for Italian?

It's Columbus day and election season, take an Indian to lunch, today..

My long term memory is strong and Columbus Day was a school holiday when I was a kid. Columbus Day is October 12 in Columbus, Ohio.

White people made the modern world is an Inconvenient Truth.

And the left seems to believe that if the Europeans hadn't came over, this hemisphere would all still be wilderness and the natives would all still be living in harmony with the planet, yada yada.

The fact of the matter is, if the Euros hadn't came over and conquered, another advanced culture would risen up and did the same.

One way or another, the technologically advanced world would not have set back and left an entire hemisphere alone.

Forum List

Back