Zone1 Happy Birthday to MTV..........

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
The music channel first aired on August 1st, 1981, 41 years ago. It's not a music channel anymore, but in its heyday it was fun to watch. My favorite early videos were by Duran Duran (Hungry Like The Wolf) and Michael Jackson (Thriller). Later in the 80's, Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer) and Dire Straits (Money for Nothing) were two of my favorites. Beavis and Butthead were fun to watch in the 90's, and some of the Grunge videos were good. Then they pretty much stopped playing videos in the late 90's.

MTV went Rap, then went out of the music video business. They never seemed to grasp the connection. Stupid people destroy things.

It wasn't Rap that made MTV obsolete, it was MTV itself when it shifted from music videos and programming to their "reality" shows.

BTW....................fun fact....................the very first video MTV ever played was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.

296382584_3298215090451479_8248243824724841433_n.jpg

The music channel first aired on August 1st, 1981, 41 years ago. It's not a music channel anymore, but in its heyday it was fun to watch. My favorite early videos were by Duran Duran (Hungry Like The Wolf) and Michael Jackson (Thriller). Later in the 80's, Peter Gabriel (Sledgehammer) and Dire Straits (Money for Nothing) were two of my favorites. Beavis and Butthead were fun to watch in the 90's, and some of the Grunge videos were good. Then they pretty much stopped playing videos in the late 90's.

If it ain't Hank Williams it ain't worth listening to.

if I recall this is the first video they played,,

Must be awesome to be placed in music/tv history!!

First music video ever produced AS a music video.
First music video ever shown on TV as a music video.
First music video to be played on the first music tv station.
The music video that changed the way we "see" music!
Forever in history.....................Wow.

It wasn't Rap that made MTV obsolete, it was MTV itself when it shifted from music videos and programming to their "reality" shows.

BTW....................fun fact....................the very first video MTV ever played was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.

They couldn't draw viewers to the videos once they changed to rap shit.

Instead of changing the genre back to what worked, they went to sleazy reality shows and complete irrelevance.

Soooo...you listen to no music other than Hank Williams?
Someone who died 69 years ago?

Okaaaay.
Hank was a few years before my time but my parents loved him. He was damned near like another "Elvis" to his fan following. His music still gets bought and played, so, not too bad for an old Alabama boy. :)

Hank was a few years before my time but my parents loved him. He was damned near like another "Elvis" to his fan following. His music still gets bought and played, so, not too bad for an old Alabama boy. :)

LOTS of musical artists who are no longer around have their music still being bought and played. Was Hank Williams another Elvis? Depends on who you talk to. Among his followers, some might say yes. Ask anyone else, and the answer would probably be no.

My Uncle Bill and Aunt Sandy were big fans and played that (to me) depressing crap all of the time. Maybe that is what turned me into a rock and roll kind of person.

Forum List

Back