Gutter Guards

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Thinking about installing gutter guards on all my properties. Anybody have any experience with them which style is the best or which ones to avoid? My neighbor said to avoid the wire mesh ones because too many twigs will get caught in them, but to me they look like the ones that would let the maximum amount of water into the gutters. We do get some right heavy rains at time so that seems like having less spillover would be a plus.

Thinking about installing gutter guards on all my properties. Anybody have any experience with them which style is the best or which ones to avoid? My neighbor said to avoid the wire mesh ones because too many twigs will get caught in them, but to me they look like the ones that would let the maximum amount of water into the gutters. We do get some right heavy rains at time so that seems like having less spillover would be a plus.

Some years ago, I temped for a few months with a company called GutterDome. They seem to be a good company, and their product is high quality.

I made my own guards out of sections of wire mesh. Unfortunately it hasn't rained since I installed them so I can't speak to how well they work, but I chose screen with approximately 1/4 inch square mesh. I'm pretty sure they will block all but the smallest twig pieces while allowing full flow of water.

I made my own guards out of sections of wire mesh. Unfortunately it hasn't rained since I installed them so I can't speak to how well they work, but I chose screen with approximately 1/4 inch square mesh. I'm pretty sure they will block all but the smallest twig pieces while allowing full flow of water.
Leaf stems will still get hung-up in them, the leaf will bend-over, build-up, and water will pass right over them. My dad tried it and that was the result.

Now if you don't have any nearby trees like he did then you might be able to go longer.

But yeah, I've been thinking of having leaf filter installed as I don't do roofs any more.

I’ve tried different kinds of gutter guards over the years and have found that the only thing that really works is having the gutters cleaned out twice a year.

I’ve tried different kinds of gutter guards over the years and have found that the only thing that really works is having the gutters cleaned out twice a year.

For me it is only once a year and I do myself. The heavily shaded area around the house when I bought it is now a sun all day area so I don't get a lot of leaves :) My bane are those stupid maple seed pod propeller things from my neighbors who have 2 giant maples in their front yard on my side and a freaking maple forest in the backyard and the spring breezes send them all toward me. Their lot sits about five feet higher than mine so precious plenty of those maple bastards land on my roof and wash down into the gutters.

Leaf stems will still get hung-up in them, the leaf will bend-over, build-up, and water will pass right over them. My dad tried it and that was the result.

Now if you don't have any nearby trees like he did then you might be able to go longer.

But yeah, I've been thinking of having leaf filter installed as I don't do roofs any more.
I live in the desert so there's like one tree with skinny leaves near my house. But we'll see when the rains come.

I used to be the GM for a company called Gutter King. We offered a product called Gutter stuff. I used it in my own house for 20 years. It was like a foam, pre-shaped to fill a gutter.
1654617167412.png

I made mine out of 1/2 inch vinyl coated hardware cloth. It has worked very well although I still hose the gutter out once a year to remove the small stuff that gets through. I have only oak trees in my yard so I don't have to deal with small seeds, buds, or small leaves. IF I did it again I would use 1/4 inch as you did. Here's some pictures.View attachment 654969View attachment 654971View attachment 654973

Almost no leaves get stuck in the mesh.
Gutter-1.JPG

We do get some right heavy rains at time so that seems like having less spillover would be a plus.
I live in WA. We get moderate rains for the most part. I went with Leaf Gard and am generally pleased with the performance--we have a lot of deciduous trees and evergreens. However, when a deluge hits, there are places where the roof valleys concentrate the runoff and overshoots the gutter completely. I don't think any guard would work any better in that spot.

I live in WA. We get moderate rains for the most part. I went with Leaf Gard and am generally pleased with the performance--we have a lot of deciduous trees and evergreens. However, when a deluge hits, there are places where the roof valleys concentrate the runoff and overshoots the gutter completely. I don't think any guard would work any better in that spot.
The 'dirty little secret' is that Leaf Gard depends on water overshooting the gutter to keep it free of leaves, which actually defeats the purpose of the gutters, which is to direct water away from the foundation of the building via the downspouts and extensions.

The 'dirty little secret' is that Leaf Gard depends on water overshooting the gutter
That is true, the curvature depends on surface tension to direct the water into the gutter. Works well in a moderate rain, however if the rain is coming down hard and directed into one spot, it will overshoot the gutter by 6" or more--kind of what happens in a waterfall. In that case, no gutter is completely effective. I haven't had any problem with mine except in that one spot in a heavy downpour.

Forum List

Back