Gravy

The French call their gravy "sauce"

To me gravies are made from the combination of pan drippings from roasted meat combined with roux, stock and maybe some seasonings. Bonus points for using the fat from the drippings to make the roux.

Sauce is something made without said pan drippings, and can be categorized into one of the "mother sauces"

Correct, though you can substitute milk for the stock. And in a pinch any fat will do, it doesn't have to be meat drippings. You can use butter, or even a fatty oil . Just won't be quite the same flavor.

For example, chipped beef, When making this, the dried beef of course has no an drippings so you use butter and flour to make your roux then add milk.

To me gravies are made from the combination of pan drippings from roasted meat combined with roux, stock and maybe some seasonings. Bonus points for using the fat from the drippings to make the roux.

Sauce is something made without said pan drippings, and can be categorized into one of the "mother sauces"

There are sauces that are made using pan drippings.

It's all sauce, it's just a matter of language. My mom always called it gravy, but when I started working as a cook I came to realize that what we called gravy was the envy of young fellow cooks, who were just learning about *sauce*.

She made it all sorts of ways, and it was always yummy. Well almost always. The secret is to let it cook.the longer a gravy cooks, the better it is. One of my first jobs in the kitchen was to stir the gravy and add liquid if needed to keep it from scorching.

Correct, though you can substitute milk for the stock. And in a pinch any fat will do, it doesn't have to be meat drippings. You can use butter, or even a fatty oil . Just won't be quite the same flavor.

For example, chipped beef, When making this, the dried beef of course has no an drippings so you use butter and flour to make your roux then add milk.
I make white gravy all the time with nothing but butter, or lard. It's yummy.

There are sauces that are made using pan drippings.

It's all sauce, it's just a matter of language. My mom always called it gravy, but when I started working as a cook I came to realize that what we called gravy was the envy of young fellow cooks, who were just learning about *sauce*.

She made it all sorts of ways, and it was always yummy. Well almost always. The secret is to let it cook.the longer a gravy cooks, the better it is. One of my first jobs in the kitchen was to stir the gravy and add liquid if needed to keep it from scorching.

I agree it's all wording, but don't tell that to Italians when arguing the great sauce/gravy debate.

I love cream sauce....it's just pan drippings (if you have them) add butter and cream, salt..simmer....you can add parmesan as well, or mushrooms.

To me that would be a gravy, if you use the pan drippings.

:D
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-pan-sauce-from-steak-drippings-240331

It's a gravy to me.

This argument is one of the great circle arguments out there, only beaten by "Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Rabbit Season, Duck Season!"

I made smothered pork chops over the long weekend..and they were amazing....

I seasoned and fried chops in a little oil...browned them but didn't cook clear through and put them in a baking dish.

I put a knob of butter into the pan and then some cream and salt and pepper...and I poured that over the chops, covered them with tin foil and cooked them at 225 for another hour or so.

I used a kind of small, deep baking dish...so the chops were stacked. I made sure the gravy was between the layers before putting them into the oven.

You can also just put the chops in the pan with the gravy and simmer them for 15 minutes instead of doing the oven thing... but the oven way is better suited for super tender chops.

Next time make them in your crockpot for the most amazing tender smothered pork chops you've ever had.

Though I'm not sure that smothered pork chops technically qualify as a southern style milk gravy.
No, milk gravy is milk gravy, with roux and milk.
This was a cream sauce, no flour.

They were as tender as the slow cooker, because I essentially slow cooked them.

I make white gravy all the time with nothing but butter, or lard. It's yummy.

It's fine, perfectly acceptable, just doesn't have quite the same taste , that doesn't mean BAD just means DIFFERENT

I've taken to making my breakfast gravy, when I make it, from sausage AND bacon drippings. Just delicious.

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

Wait a minute............... Are you suggesting that only yankee gravy is gravy? Creamed gravy is delicious. You havent truly lived until you've had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And no, something from Denny's doesn't count.

Food snobs LOL

I tried biscuits and gravy once; they serve it around here in a few places, so granted it is probably not as good as it would be from a fine Southern cook, but still.
It looks like someone vomited on the plate and what it tasted like did not make up for what it looked like.

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

Milk gravy is the food of the gods. Blasphemer. And it is amazing for breakfast..on hashbrowns, on eggs, on chicken fried steak, on biscuits.

Well, I didn't try it so I don't know if it was ambrosia or not. It looked congealed enough that if I'd flipped the cup upside down, it wouldn't have spilled on the table though.

Now I love bean juice on my biscuits, molasses on my biscuits for dessert. But gravy is just not a food group in New England.

Wait a minute............... Are you suggesting that only yankee gravy is gravy? Creamed gravy is delicious. You havent truly lived until you've had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And no, something from Denny's doesn't count.

Food snobs LOL

I tried biscuits and gravy once; they serve it around here in a few places, so granted it is probably not as good as it would be from a fine Southern cook, but still.
It looks like someone vomited on the plate and what it tasted like did not make up for what it looked like.

You poor deprived soul.

And I mean honestly, it isn't even bizzare to think milk gravy would taste good. It's not like you're saying you don't like chicken gizzards (gross) or something. We're talking about a roux of fat and flour , some milk, and salt and pepper (I also like minced green onion in mine, but that's a personal preference) then you can add in crumbled breakfast meat if you like.

I make my own version of poutine sometimes as well. I make my milk gravy , add crumbled sausage, serve it over fries and then cover that with shredded cheddar cheese. It is DELICIOUS,but one serving demands an extra trip to the gym lol.

Food snobs LOL

You poor deprived soul.

And I mean honestly, it isn't even bizzare to think milk gravy would taste good. It's not like you're saying you don't like chicken gizzards (gross) or something. We're talking about a roux of fat and flour , some milk, and salt and pepper (I also like minced green onion in mine, but that's a personal preference) then you can add in crumbled breakfast meat if you like.

I make my own version of poutine sometimes as well. I make my milk gravy , add crumbled sausage, serve it over fries and then cover that with shredded cheddar cheese. It is DELICIOUS,but one serving demands an extra trip to the gym lol.

Quick sausage gravy:

Brown crumbled sausage in pan.

Add a couple of tbsp of flour, and a little butter or lard if it's super dry...stir until all the sausage is covered in the roux, cook it for a little, then add milk, salt, pepper...

simmer.

Rules of gravy.....cook the flour as much as you can in the fat before you add the liquid..and then simmer it as long as you can after. Use lots of fat.

Food snobs LOL

You poor deprived soul.

Quick sausage gravy:

Brown crumbled sausage in pan.

Add a couple of tbsp of flour, and a little butter or lard if it's super dry...stir until all the sausage is covered in the roux, cook it for a little, then add milk, salt, pepper...

simmer.

1:1 ratio fat to flour . I mean for beginners, once you learn the basics you can eyeball it .

Food snobs LOL

You poor deprived soul.

You are making my gallbladder ache.

I'll admit the concept of anything made with predominantly butter and cream HAS to be good.

Food snobs LOL

You poor deprived soul.

You are making my gallbladder ache.

I'll admit the concept of anything made with predominantly butter and cream HAS to be good.

As with everything, milk gravy must be eaten in moderation.

Once you master this, we'll move on to chocolate gravy LOL

Not gravy, but when I sear scallops, pork medallions, etc I'll deglaze the pan with sherry, add butter for shine. Magnifique!

I love a good wine sauce. But it's gotta be with a good quality wine you would drink, not that cooking sherry or cooking wine. Gross.

Forum List

Back