Gravy

I tried biscuits and gravy once; they serve it around here in a few places, so granted it is probably not as good as it would be from a fine Southern cook, but still.
It looks like someone vomited on the plate and what it tasted like did not make up for what it looked like.
You must not have very good cooks where you were raised, to have created in you such an aversion to perfect sauce.

When people take strong aversions to food it usually means they were raised by people who were shitty cooks. But I have also observed that shitty cooks make lean beautiful people, so no judgement.
I'm sure that's true; I loved most of the food I had when I visited the south--except the soul food was too salty even for me, and I'm the one last hold out that still uses the salt shaker among my friends. I guess if it were done right I might like biscuits and gravy, if I could somehow eat it blindfolded.

I just don't understand what it is visually that you hate about cream gravy lol

If made it correctly it simply looks like a thicker version of cream soup, which I don't know anyone who doesnt like cream soups. Though yes I have certainly seen where people didnt get their roux right and the gravy came out more of a paste than a gravy. That's why I said 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, and you MUST cook the flour before adding the milk, otherwise your gravy simply tastes like flour no matter what you do.
LOL You've become inured to it. I don't want to keep insulting it, so I'll leave it there.

The only thing you are insulting is your own ability to appreciate good food when you can't enjoy a food that you didn't grow up with.

Seriously, other than the potatoes in place of flour and using less liquid there is virtually no difference in a chowdah and gravy. Both are delicious.
I like--even love--many foods I didn't grow up with and I'm NOT going to argue about it.

You must not have very good cooks where you were raised, to have created in you such an aversion to perfect sauce.

When people take strong aversions to food it usually means they were raised by people who were shitty cooks. But I have also observed that shitty cooks make lean beautiful people, so no judgement.
I'm sure that's true; I loved most of the food I had when I visited the south--except the soul food was too salty even for me, and I'm the one last hold out that still uses the salt shaker among my friends. I guess if it were done right I might like biscuits and gravy, if I could somehow eat it blindfolded.

If made it correctly it simply looks like a thicker version of cream soup, which I don't know anyone who doesnt like cream soups. Though yes I have certainly seen where people didnt get their roux right and the gravy came out more of a paste than a gravy. That's why I said 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, and you MUST cook the flour before adding the milk, otherwise your gravy simply tastes like flour no matter what you do.
LOL You've become inured to it. I don't want to keep insulting it, so I'll leave it there.

The only thing you are insulting is your own ability to appreciate good food when you can't enjoy a food that you didn't grow up with.

Seriously, other than the potatoes in place of flour and using less liquid there is virtually no difference in a chowdah and gravy. Both are delicious.
I like--even love--many foods I didn't grow up with and I'm NOT going to argue about it.

No need to argue, you're factually wrong. White gravy is delicious.

:)

No need to argue, you're factually wrong. White gravy is delicious.

:)
I remember being about 3 years old, sitting at the table with my family. I was sitting on the dictionary, so I know I was young.

Mom had cooked roast. Mom's roast was always delicious,but I was only 3 and even the most perfectly cooked roast is shoe leather to a baby. But we also had potatoes and white milk gravy. The milk gravy was the best thing I had ever eaten in my life, I thought it was dessert. I didn't want the potatoes or meat, I just kept asking for more of the gravy.

I don't know why we had milk gravy with roast, probably because she burned the brown gravy lolol. Or maybe we were having chicken fried steak..I don't remember. I just remember the gravy, on my plate, and asking for more and asking what it was because I thought it was pudding. I remember asking what it was and mom was like "That's gravy, silly!" and I argued with her, then was embarassed because I didn't recognize it as gravy hahaha.

I was probably suffering from a fever, most of my most vivid childhood dreams circle around me being sick hahahaha

I don't know why we had milk gravy with roast, probably because she burned the brown gravy lolol. Or maybe we were having chicken fried steak..I don't remember. I just remember the gravy, on my plate, and asking for more and asking what it was because I thought it was pudding. I remember asking what it was and mom was like "That's gravy, silly!" and I argued with her, then was embarassed because I didn't recognize it as gravy hahaha.

I was probably suffering from a fever, most of my most vivid childhood dreams circle around me being sick hahahaha

Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, white gravy, homemade biscuits and corn may actually be the most perfect meal out there.

I personally use cubed steak, but I suppose you could use any steak you like.

Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, white gravy, homemade biscuits and corn may actually be the most perfect meal out there.

Or the breakfast version...
chicken fried steak, fried potatoes, eggs, biscuits, and white gravy.

Holy sh¡t! What happened? I've been away...

Personally, when I cook my gravy I like to listen to music about magic.

I call it: Sauce for the Goose.

I am locally famous for my delicious turkey gravy. The key is to actually cook the roue and to use nice browned drippings.

One question though... is curry a gravy?

Goa.

One could argue yes. A gravy has fat, a thickening agent, and liquid.

So a curry usually has ghee (clarified butter) or oil, cooked down onions and tomatoes act as thickeners, and a liquid such as broth. They're a form of stew.

One question though... is curry a gravy?

Goa.

Yes, it kind of is.
Old time Italians called red sauce gravy, too. Now the red sauce that they called gravy was made using various meats and bones...but it was still red sauce.

Or the breakfast version...
chicken fried steak, fried potatoes, eggs, biscuits, and white gravy.

no chicken, country ham steak

damn does biscuits and gravy sound good right about now though.

Anthropologically speaking an anthropologist would agree.

Just curious though as to the health factors involved with consuming animal fats...

Forum List

Back