Gravy

I am pretty sure that gravy is the exact same gravy that goes into the "just add water" mixes that restaurants use, and which are sold on the shelf lol.

If you want a really amazing sauce, make sauerbraten..the gravy is essentially vinegar and ginger snaps.

Last edited:
I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

I grew up on gravy also, but thicker. When I make gravy I add more flour till the roux is almost dry, then slowly add a bit of liquid at a time & stirring all the while until it's the right consistency...…...pretty much the same process with whatever 'flavor' of the day is. I only use bacon fat or butter when I don't have either chicken, pork or beef pan drippings

Now I'm gonna have to make some sausage gravy & biscuits...maybe for tomorrow's supper......yum, yum good!

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

I grew up on gravy also, but thicker. When I make gravy I add more flour till the roux is almost dry, then slowly add a bit of liquid at a time & stirring all the while until it's the right consistency...…...pretty much the same process with whatever 'flavor' of the day is. I only use bacon fat or butter when I don't have either chicken, pork or beef pan drippings

Now I'm gonna have to make some sausage gravy & biscuits...maybe for tomorrow's supper......yum, yum good!

I use anything to hand...can also add butter or bacon fat to drippings.
We ate a lot of venison when I was young...the best gravy is milk gravy made from venison drippings.

Forum List

Back