Gravy

Goddamn y'all some gravy fanatics!

But how do you cook your bacon?

Fry it up in a fry pan.....preferably cast iron. Though I do mine around medium to medium high for a good crispy crunch

Nonsense, the ONLY way to cook bacon is in the oven , on a crisper, preferably one of those copper ones. 425 degrees for 12-15 min depending on how crispy you like your bacon. And I like mine crispy.

I am pretty sure that gravy is the exact same gravy that goes into the "just add water" mixes that restaurants use, and which are sold on the shelf lol.

If you want a really amazing sauce, make sauerbraten..the gravy is essentially vinegar and ginger snaps.

I Make sauerbraten once a year (during October).

Do you add the raisins as well?

Fry it up in a fry pan.....preferably cast iron. Though I do mine around medium to medium high for a good crispy crunch

Nonsense, the ONLY way to cook bacon is in the oven , on a crisper, preferably one of those copper ones. 425 degrees for 12-15 min depending on how crispy you like your bacon. And I like mine crispy.
I like my bacon with a little oink left in it

I hate when you go somewhere though and they serve you limp bacon. That is gross.

I hate when you go somewhere though and they serve you limp bacon. That is gross.

There is quite a large range between limp and burned to a crisp

I like the edges to be crisp and I like some of the fat to be soft

There is quite a large range between limp and burned to a crisp

I like the edges to be crisp and I like some of the fat to be soft
I can eat it that way, but I prefer crisp. Not burned to the point where the bacon flavor is gone, but crisp.

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

Wait a minute............... Are you suggesting that only yankee gravy is gravy? Creamed gravy is delicious. You havent truly lived until you've had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And no, something from Denny's doesn't count.

Food snobs LOL

For some reason this thread is giving me a hankering for some good southern biscuits and gravy.

Milk gravy is the food of the gods. Blasphemer. And it is amazing for breakfast..on hashbrowns, on eggs, on chicken fried steak, on biscuits.

Last edited:
I made smothered pork chops over the long weekend..and they were amazing....

I seasoned and fried chops in a little oil...browned them but didn't cook clear through and put them in a baking dish.

I put a knob of butter into the pan and then some cream and salt and pepper...and I poured that over the chops, covered them with tin foil and cooked them at 225 for another hour or so.

I used a kind of small, deep baking dish...so the chops were stacked. I made sure the gravy was between the layers before putting them into the oven.

You can also just put the chops in the pan with the gravy and simmer them for 15 minutes instead of doing the oven thing... but the oven way is better suited for super tender chops.

The French call their gravy "sauce"

To me gravies are made from the combination of pan drippings from roasted meat combined with roux, stock and maybe some seasonings. Bonus points for using the fat from the drippings to make the roux.

Sauce is something made without said pan drippings, and can be categorized into one of the "mother sauces"

I love cream sauce....it's just pan drippings (if you have them) add butter and cream, salt..simmer....you can add parmesan as well, or mushrooms.

I made smothered pork chops over the long weekend..and they were amazing....

I seasoned and fried chops in a little oil...browned them but didn't cook clear through and put them in a baking dish.

I put a knob of butter into the pan and then some cream and salt and pepper...and I poured that over the chops, covered them with tin foil and cooked them at 225 for another hour or so.

I used a kind of small, deep baking dish...so the chops were stacked. I made sure the gravy was between the layers before putting them into the oven.

You can also just put the chops in the pan with the gravy and simmer them for 15 minutes instead of doing the oven thing... but the oven way is better suited for super tender chops.

Next time make them in your crockpot for the most amazing tender smothered pork chops you've ever had.

Though I'm not sure that smothered pork chops technically qualify as a southern style milk gravy.

Forum List

Back