Gravy

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

Wait a minute............... Are you suggesting that only yankee gravy is gravy? Creamed gravy is delicious. You havent truly lived until you've had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And no, something from Denny's doesn't count.

Food snobs LOL

I tried biscuits and gravy once; they serve it around here in a few places, so granted it is probably not as good as it would be from a fine Southern cook, but still.
It looks like someone vomited on the plate and what it tasted like did not make up for what it looked like.

You must not have very good cooks where you were raised, to have created in you such an aversion to perfect sauce.

When people take strong aversions to food it usually means they were raised by people who were shitty cooks. But I have also observed that shitty cooks make lean beautiful people, so no judgement.

Not gravy, but when I sear scallops, pork medallions, etc I'll deglaze the pan with sherry, add butter for shine. Magnifique!
What kind of sherry do you use?

I use just whatever I can buy for $5-10 a bottle when cooking, you honestly aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $500 bottle in the cooking, it just has to be something you can enjoy drinking, it doesn't have to be something super expensive, and there are plenty of decent $5 bottles of wine out there (I don't like Sherry myself)

Not gravy, but when I sear scallops, pork medallions, etc I'll deglaze the pan with sherry, add butter for shine. Magnifique!

I love a good wine sauce. But it's gotta be with a good quality wine you would drink, not that cooking sherry or cooking wine. Gross.

I'm okay with cheap burgundy to cook with, I'm okay to drink it, too.

Sherry I have just started playing with, because I wanted trifle this winter so I bought sherry. I had gallons of trifle. Yes it is ambrosia. No you don't have to use that much alcohol but it's still good when you do.

I grew up on white gravy, hamburger gravy and homemade chicken and pork gravy. We had gravy pretty much with every meal.

The first time I went South, in Missouri, we went to a Denny's type restaurant for breakfast and I adventurously ordered grits. It came with biscuits and a cup of white stuff that looked like wallpaper paste. I ignored it but asked the waitress when she came to clear what it was. She looked at me in total shock and said in her thick Southern drawl, "Why, that's GRAVY."
No. Gravy is deep brown, pourable and you don't eat it for breakfast. But I would love to try Red Eye Gravy sometime. Coffee and ham. What could possibly go wrong?

Wait a minute............... Are you suggesting that only yankee gravy is gravy? Creamed gravy is delicious. You havent truly lived until you've had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And no, something from Denny's doesn't count.

Food snobs LOL

I tried biscuits and gravy once; they serve it around here in a few places, so granted it is probably not as good as it would be from a fine Southern cook, but still.
It looks like someone vomited on the plate and what it tasted like did not make up for what it looked like.

You must not have very good cooks where you were raised, to have created in you such an aversion to perfect sauce.

When people take strong aversions to food it usually means they were raised by people who were shitty cooks. But I have also observed that shitty cooks make lean beautiful people, so no judgement.

I don't think she has an aversion to sauce, just to imitation cream gravy.

Heck even what McDonalds has is edible, its not homemade by any stretch, but it will do in a pinch. I suppose it's all about what you were raised on.

Oddly though there really isn't THAT much difference in a good creamy New England Clam Chowder and a cream gravy, other than you use potatoes to thicken the chowder instead of flour and clams , heck it even has pork in it.

I love a good wine sauce. But it's gotta be with a good quality wine you would drink, not that cooking sherry or cooking wine. Gross.

I'm okay with cheap burgundy to cook with, I'm okay to drink it, too.

Sherry I have just started playing with, because I wanted trifle this winter so I bought sherry. I had gallons of trifle. Yes it is ambrosia. No you don't have to use that much alcohol but it's still good when you do.

I like to cook with alcohol. Beer, wine, whiskey, brandy, vodka, tequila. And I just buy what would be labeled house brands. I'm not using a $200 bottle of Johnny Walker Black or anything like that.

Food snobs LOL

I'm sure that's true; I loved most of the food I had when I visited the south--except the soul food was too salty even for me, and I'm the one last hold out that still uses the salt shaker among my friends. I guess if it were done right I might like biscuits and gravy, if I could somehow eat it blindfolded.

I use just whatever I can buy for $5-10 a bottle when cooking, you honestly aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $500 bottle in the cooking, it just has to be something you can enjoy drinking, it doesn't have to be something super expensive, and there are plenty of decent $5 bottles of wine out there (I don't like Sherry myself)
Up here, we cook with scallops and lobster a lot, and recipes sometimes call for sherry, but since it's a back of the beyond rural area, the only sherry I can find is the one brand of cream sherry that old ladies sip in tiny glasses, and it is very sweet. I'm sure that's not the kind that is called for in a lobster newburg. So that's why I asked. I had to go 60 miles to a real wine store to get a drier sherry for my recipe. I still don't remember what it was called.

Food snobs LOL

I'm sure that's true; I loved most of the food I had when I visited the south--except the soul food was too salty even for me, and I'm the one last hold out that still uses the salt shaker among my friends. I guess if it were done right I might like biscuits and gravy, if I could somehow eat it blindfolded.

I just don't understand what it is visually that you hate about cream gravy lol

If made it correctly it simply looks like a thicker version of cream soup, which I don't know anyone who doesnt like cream soups. Though yes I have certainly seen where people didnt get their roux right and the gravy came out more of a paste than a gravy. That's why I said 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, and you MUST cook the flour before adding the milk, otherwise your gravy simply tastes like flour no matter what you do.

Up here, we cook with scallops and lobster a lot, and recipes sometimes call for sherry, but since it's a back of the beyond rural area, the only sherry I can find is the one brand of cream sherry that old ladies sip in tiny glasses, and it is very sweet. I'm sure that's not the kind that is called for in a lobster newburg. So that's why I asked. I had to go 60 miles to a real wine store to get a drier sherry for my recipe. I still don't remember what it was called.
I bet the sweet stuff would be yummy as a lobster sauce base...you should go for it.

Food snobs LOL

Heck even what McDonalds has is edible, its not homemade by any stretch, but it will do in a pinch. I suppose it's all about what you were raised on.

Oddly though there really isn't THAT much difference in a good creamy New England Clam Chowder and a cream gravy, other than you use potatoes to thicken the chowder instead of flour and clams , heck it even has pork in it.

Real New England seafood chowder, whether it's clam chowder or sea food or fish chowder, is NOT thick enough to stand your spoon in. The milk base is broth like, floating with melted butter and flavored with salt pork (pulled out--just the rendered fat), onion and the clam or shellfish liquor.

Why was my post funny? There is nothing worse than raw flour in a gravy , or gravy that has the consistency of a wallpaper glue. Gross.

Food snobs LOL

Real New England seafood chowder, whether it's clam chowder or sea food or fish chowder, is NOT thick enough to stand your spoon in. The milk base is broth like, floating with melted butter and flavored with salt pork (pulled out--just the rendered fat), onion and the clam or shellfish liquor.

Exactly what I said, good cream gravy just looks like a thicker version of chowder

I bet the sweet stuff would be yummy as a lobster sauce base...you should go for it.
You are a good cook, I know, so maybe if I make it again, I'll try that.

Food snobs LOL

If made it correctly it simply looks like a thicker version of cream soup, which I don't know anyone who doesnt like cream soups. Though yes I have certainly seen where people didnt get their roux right and the gravy came out more of a paste than a gravy. That's why I said 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, and you MUST cook the flour before adding the milk, otherwise your gravy simply tastes like flour no matter what you do.
LOL You've become inured to it. I don't want to keep insulting it, so I'll leave it there.

This works for any meat...and you can even skip the stock and use alcohol or just cream and no other liquid. All yummy. I made something like this for pheasant and it was amazing. Pepper and garlic, white wine.

I occasionally have spectacular failures ;)

Like when I ventured into gingerbread or cookie decorating. It's just not me, I never get it done and the dogs end up eating them. The dogs LOVE them, so I guess it's not a total failure.

And I have really blown chicken and dumplings a few times. That's hard to recover from in my family.

Food snobs LOL

LOL You've become inured to it. I don't want to keep insulting it, so I'll leave it there.

The only thing you are insulting is your own ability to appreciate good food when you can't enjoy a food that you didn't grow up with.

Seriously, other than the potatoes in place of flour and using less liquid there is virtually no difference in a chowdah and gravy. Both are delicious.

I occasionally have spectacular failures ;)

Like when I ventured into gingerbread or cookie decorating. It's just not me, I never get it done and the dogs end up eating them. The dogs LOVE them, so I guess it's not a total failure.

And I have really blown chicken and dumplings a few times. That's hard to recover from in my family.

I'm not good at baking because I don't like to measure. I just add ingredients until something tastes good to me, can't do that in baking.

Forum List

Back