Gorsuch applies Humpty Dumpty Theory of Language to Title VII, Civil Rights Act 1964

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
NOTE: I would appreciate posters sticking to the legal aspects of the opinion.

Justice Gorsuch’s majority opinion in Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia , ignored the rules of statutory construction by ignoring the distinction between " sexual orientation discrimination " and " sex discrimination "___ the latter being the intended object of protection under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, while protection for the former was considered for protection on various occasions, but never agreed upon and written into law.

As pointed out in Justice Kavanaugh’s dissent “For several decades, Congress has considered numerous bills to prohibit employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. But as noted above, although Congress has come close, it has not yet shouldered a bill over the legislative finish line.”

Kavanaugh continues with emphasizing the distinction between sexual orientation and a firing because of sex discrimination.

As to common parlance, few in 1964 (or today) would describe a firing because of sexual orientation as a firing because of sex. As commonly understood, sexual orientation discrimination is distinct from, and not a form of, sex discrimination. The majority opinion acknowledges the common understanding, noting that the plaintiffs here probably did not tell their friends that they were fired because of their sex. Ante, at 16. That observation is clearly correct. In common parlance, Bostock and Zarda were fired because they were gay, not because they were men.

Contrary to the majority opinion’s approach today, this Court has repeatedly emphasized that common parlance matters in assessing the ordinary meaning of a statute, because courts heed how “most people” “would have understood” the text of a statute when enacted.”

The fact is, Justice Gorsuch attempts in his written opinion, with unusual and extraordinary effort, to articulate, or to be more accurate invent, the idea that there is no distinction between " sexual orientation discrimination " and " sex discrimination " within the meaning of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

While sex discrimination, under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, obviously refers to biological distinctions of an individual identified at birth, sexual orientation refers to an individual’s mental yearning or belief that their physical attributes do not align with their emotional sexual proclivities. And it is this distinction that has been considered for protection under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but without success.

So, instead of Gorsuch and the majority accepting the distinction between sexual orientation and sex discrimination, and following time honored rules for interpreting statutory law requiring the meaning of “sex”, a biological attribute intended to have protection under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Gorsuch and the Majority resort to the Humpty Dumpty Theory of Language being applied to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and pretend there is no distinction between sexual orientation, a mental or emotional state, and sex discrimination which refers to a biological distinction under Title VII.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less.”

But, the fact is, words or terms used in legislation must be understood in the sense most obvious to the common understanding at the time of its adoption!

Unfortunately, Gorsuch and the Majority, in applying the Humpty Dumpty Theory of Language, and doing for the Legislature what it has refused to do or was unwilling to do, has likewise usurped legislative power which borders on judicial tyranny as described by Madison:

”The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands [our Supreme Court] . . . may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.” ___ Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47

JWK

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness. __ Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

Bush's USSC picks turned into pussies and the same thing is happening to Trump...except with Kavanaugh...he hates the left and will exact vengeance for what they did to him. If the old Jew woman croaks, Trump better pick somebody with a spine to replace her....Hardiman would have been a better choice than Gorsuch and should be the next in line for a seat.

Last edited:
Gorsuch is turning out to be as disappointing as Roberts. Really pisses me off, and the vetting of these so-called conservative justices has got to improve before they end up on the scotus and we're stuck with them for years.

You lost
Even with a Conservative Court, you lost

Future Supreme Court decisions will also say sexual orientation is covered.

Gorsuch is turning out to be as disappointing as Roberts. Really pisses me off, and the vetting of these so-called conservative justices has got to improve before they end up on the scotus and we're stuck with them for years.
Only so far even a Conservative will go.

This is my two cents on this.

I agree in principle with the dissent and their line of reasoning. It was up to Congress to amend Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

That said, I applaud the decision reached by the majority.

You lost

The globalists have been around a long time. The infection is massive. Careers as a reward are given for servitude towards them. Everything you have done can be used against you in a society with little tolerance for political deviancy. Much literature has been written about this and it is being carried out. It may seem not right but this modern social justice is being done to bring our nation down a few pegs as to be blended into the new world order globalism. We are already part way there with dual language now. People believe we are uplifting the world. No we are not. It is impossible touplift the countless billions to our level. We are being lowered. And have been for a few decades now. The raising of taxes and the pensions given out have made us look wealthier. Combined with foreign sweatshop slaves we live off of them at cheaper prices then it would be here without a correction in our living standards that would be lower if done for truth.

You lost

The globalists have been around a long time. The infection is massive. Careers as a reward are given for servitude towards them. Everything you have done can be used against you in a society with little tolerance for political deviancy. Much literature has been written about this and it is being carried out. It may seem not right but this modern social justice is being done to bring our nation down a few pegs as to be blended into the new world order globalism. We are already part way there with dual language now. People believe we are uplifting the world. No we are not. It is impossible touplift the countless billions to our level. We are being lowered. And have been for a few decades now. The raising of taxes and the pensions given out have made us look wealthier. Combined with foreign sweatshop slaves we live off of them at cheaper prices then it would be here without a correction in our living standards that would be lower if done for truth.
Quit whining like a little bitch
You lost and will keep on losing

Gays have the same rights that you do, learn to live with it.

So everyone has the same rights as heterosexuals. Sounds fair to me. :laugh:

Actually, everyone has lost the right to mutually agree in their contracts and associations.

Additionally, everyone has lost the right to a system based upon a written constitution, the rule of law, as opposed to the arbitrary rule of man and mob rule.

JWK

Those who reject abiding by the text of our Constitution, and the intentions and beliefs under which it was agree to, as documented from historical records and gives context to its text, wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

Actually, everyone has lost the right to mutually agree in their contracts and associations.

Additionally, everyone has lost the right to a system based upon a written constitution, the rule of law, as opposed to the arbitrary rule of man and mob rule.

JWK

Those who reject abiding by the text of our Constitution, and the intentions and beliefs under which it was agree to, as documented from historical records and gives context to its text, wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

Seems Constitutional to me......Equal protection under the law
The only ones who see otherwise are the “God hates fags” crowd

Senator Hawley has the courage to speak out against the majority opinion in Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia

Equal protection meant in a judicial setting. And had nothing to do with private businesses and who they hire or fire. Now it has been co-opted to mean anything a majority in black robes says it means.

You lost

The fact they lost is funny in itself. Now he's a traitor. I have never cared who was on the SCOTUS if they followed the law and he did and now trumpturds want to hang him.

JWK

They're all replica's of the trumpturd if they lose they whine, whine and whine. Also not one of them ever accepts blame for anything spoiled mf's.

Senator Hawley has the courage to speak out against the majority opinion in Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia

The religious conservatives and the evangelicals can still worship their rights anyway they choose,

you know what I can say to this religious freak, SHUT THE HELL UP about your religion.

Last edited:

JWK

But there is no Equal protection under the law . . . there is a decree made by a majority which is at odds with the law, the law being, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I doubt a lesbian shop owner who only wants to hire other lesbians, or a homosexual male shop owner who wants to only hire other homosexuals, embraces the lose of their inalienable right to mutually agree in their contracts and associations.

And then there is the opening of the floodgates to shyster lawyers who will make this decisions into a profitable cottage industry, just as the unconstitutional Americans with Disabilities Act was and is.

Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia , like the unconstitutional Americans with Disabilities Act, will most certainly lead to business owners paying out millions upon millions of dollars to stop frivolous court actions filed by blood-sucking shyster lawyers.

See, e.g., Florida man sues dozens of Colorado businesses - KMGH-TV

Also see: Drive-By Lawsuits and the Abuse of the Americans with …

And especially see: The ADA Litigation Monster | Americans with Disabilities Act

“The notion that the ADA would not “lead endlessly to litigation” was also wrong. (See “The ADA Shakedown Racket,” Winter 2004.) ADA claims against employers filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), now numbering more than 26,000 per year, have become as common as sex-discrimination claims. And the volume keeps rising, as does the number of ADA lawsuits against employers filed in federal court yearly.”

The above is why I call the supreme court’s majority opinion in Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia , the new full employment act for lawyers.

JWK

Last edited:

Equal protection meant in a judicial setting. And had nothing to do with private businesses and who they hire or fire. Now it has been co-opted to mean anything a majority in black robes says it means.

Exactly, under the Fourteenth Amendment.

4. ”…nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

This wording simply commands that whatever a State’s laws are, a person [singular] within that State’s jurisdiction, may not be denied the equal protection of those specific laws. Keep in mind the wording does not forbid a state to make distinctions in law, e.g., based upon sex or age, but whatever laws are adopted by a State, the State may not deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of those specific laws. The laws must be enforced equally upon all.

JWK

Gorsuch is turning out to be as disappointing as Roberts.

I like Gorsuch. He seems more libertarian than conservative. Exactly what we need.

I believe what is needed are Justices and judges which abide by their oath of office to support and defend our federal Constitution.

Gorsuch’s opinion is based upon Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, i,e, that part which makes it “unlawful . . . for an employer to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual . . . because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.”

The first question which comes to my mind is, under what wording in our federal Constitution is Congress authorized to make it “unlawful . . . for an employer to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual . . . because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.”

Perhaps you can shed some light on this fundamental question.

JWK

Forum List

Back