Good Friday- A Legal Holiday in 12 US States. Why?

Good Friday is a widely instituted legal holiday around the world, including in most Western countries and 12 U.S. states. Some countries, such as Germany, have laws prohibiting certain acts, such as dancing and horse racing, that are seen as profaning the solemn nature of the day.
Good Friday - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good Friday

I am appalled that Good Friday- a Christian Religious Holiday- is an official state holiday in 12 states, including my state of New Jersey, where state employees are given a paid day off at the expense of taxpayers. There is no other religion that gets such a holiday

New Jersey also grants Christmas day a paid holiday to state employees which I also have a problem with. However, there was a supreme court ruling that said that it was permissible because Christmas had become more of a secular/commercial event than a religious holiday. I don't buy it but so be it. However, I would like someone to explain to me how declaring Good Friday as a government holiday is not a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment
I will add, that when I was a supervisor in a NJ state agency, my Jewish and Muslims workers and to compete with each other and negotiate for their holidays because ewe could not let them all have those days off. Christians are not put in that position. This is not about being anti Christian . It is about fairness and the Constitution and equal protection under the law.

Maybe you forgot that NJ is in the United States.

I am appalled that Good Friday- a Christian Religious Holiday- is an official state holiday in 12 states, including my state of New Jersey, where state employees are given a paid day off at the expense of taxpayers. There is no other religion that gets such a holiday

New Jersey also grants Christmas day a paid holiday to state employees which I also have a problem with. However, there was a supreme court ruling that said that it was permissible because Christmas had become more of a secular/commercial event than a religious holiday. I don't buy it but so be it. However, I would like someone to explain to me how declaring Good Friday as a government holiday is not a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment

Who the fuck cares? I'm not religious either, but it doesn't bother me. I have an actual life keeping me busy, I guess.

I never heard anyone from any religion in Germany attack our holidays. Only believers in atheism are doing so - and I fear in most cases it are young atheists, whose full time job seems to be to be son or daughter and to waste the money of their parents. Every year in the last decade they made an attack "We want to dance in public in Good Friday. It's not justice not to have the right to dance in public, whenever I like to dance." Childish. But not so this year. I guess this is because Corona is dancing now in our streets, in our homes, in our hospitals and on our graveyards.

God bless you.

Last edited:
I would like someone to explain to me how declaring Good Friday as a government holiday is not a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment

3ug1wj.jpg

~S~

..America was mostly a christian-religious nation...that's why ....if it's ok with those states--FK the minority whiners--
AND, the muslims/etc probably like getting a day off
..hey, I'm very '''anti''-religion--check out my posts in the religion forum....but it's like a lot of these jackass civil rights whiners = they make it seem like they are being strapped to a chair and tortured!!!! NO, they are not...so what if they get a holiday??

....SO FKN WHAT if there is a cross on a government building?? SO FKN WHAT if a prayer is said???? there are a lot MORE important things to worry about

..you have to be obsessed to insanity and/or have too much $$$ to worry about crap like that

..if you are worried about a manger scene, you've got freakin mental problems

Good Friday is a widely instituted legal holiday around the world, including in most Western countries and 12 U.S. states. Some countries, such as Germany, have laws prohibiting certain acts, such as dancing and horse racing, that are seen as profaning the solemn nature of the day.
Good Friday - Wikipedia

AND I'm appalled there is a MLK day--but I'm not losing sleep over it
...everyone is off for Christmas---it's based on christ

Good Friday - Wikipedia

I will add, that when I was a supervisor in a NJ state agency, my Jewish and Muslims workers and to compete with each other and negotiate for their holidays because ewe could not let them all have those days off. Christians are not put in that position. This is not about being anti Christian . It is about fairness and the Constitution and equal protection under the law.
..they can go to a muslim country then......

Good Friday - Wikipedia

Well, we have MLK as a holiday and he was a fucking whore mongering asshole communist. If you are going to bitch about something bitch about.

Who the fuck cares? I'm not religious either, but it doesn't bother me. I have an actual life keeping me busy, I guess.

I never heard anyone from any religion in Germany attack our holidays. Only believers in atheism are doing so - and I fear in most cases it are young atheists, whose full time job seems to be to be son or daughter and to waste the money of their parents. Every year in the last decade they made an attack "We want to dance in public in Good Friday. It's not justice not to have the right to dance in public, whenever I like to dance." Childish. But not so this year. I guess this is because Corona is dancing now in our streets, in our homes, in our hospitals and on our graveyards.

God bless you.

no such thing as a believer in atheism ...
1. that's saying a believer in the lack of belief
2. there is no god--no one can prove it---so:
--you can't ''not believe'' something that is not there
etc

there is nothing for theists to believe --there is no god
..they are like children believing in fairytales made up by man--thousands of years ago--when man was less educated/etc

Not a very interesting form of belief. And what for heavens sake do you call "to be educated"? How do you know what this is?

1586522209307.png

Last edited:
I agree...it should go.

Along with MLK's birthday.
MLK is not a religious holiday. Try dealing with the issue

But MLK was a Preacher and invoked Gawd daily in his speeches, so why honor a man from that Religion you hate so much?

MLK was a civil rights leader who happened to be a preacher. His legacy is his civil rights work. To conflate the celebration of his birth to good Friday is a false equivalency logical fally- the sort of thing that people fall back on when they have no real argument.

I do not hate Christianity or Christians. However, I hate when it is used as a weapon against other, or to garner special rights for themselves

Liberals think that Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists participated in the Constitutional Convention. So naturally they would think that Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists ratified New Jersey's constitution.

Good Friday - Wikipedia

Well, we have MLK as a holiday and he was a fucking whore mongering asshole communist. If you are going to bitch about something bitch about.

Good fucking God. All that you people can do is to invoke pathetic logical fallacies in the absence of any real argument. This is one of my favorites:

Appeal to hypocrisy (also known as Tu quoque, Latin for, ‘you also’) is an informal logical fallacy that tries to discredit the validity of the opponent’s argument by asserting the opponent’s failure to act consistently in accordance with its conclusion(s).
Appeal to hypocrisy | The Logical Place
yandoo.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/appeal-to-hypocrisy/

1586527204742.png

..why is it called Good Friday when they killed an ''innocent'' man? wouldn't Sunday be the Good day?

there is nothing for theists to believe --there is no god
..they are like children believing in fairytales made up by man--thousands of years ago--when man was less educated/etc

Not a very interesting form of belief. And what for heavens sake do you call "to be educated"? How do you know what this is?

View attachment 321563

.....you are saying humans are less educated now than way back then?? when they thought the Earth was flat/etc???!!!
....the christians used TORTURE back then!!! that's educated?
etc

Liberals think that Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists participated in the Constitutional Convention. So naturally they would think that Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists ratified New Jersey's constitution.

Much more easy: Muslims, Jews and Buddhists are welcome. Christians have no problem with spirtual people. For example I never met any Muslim who did not agree with my opinion "Islamists are godless people". To murder people in the name of god is like a slap in the face of god. In general we all are able to learn a lot from each other. And in New Jersey decides the majority of the people of New Jersey what are their common holidays. Muslims, Jews and Buddhists will for sure respect a day which is comparable for example with the cherry blossom celebrations in Japan and spiritual meditations about the fragility and transcience of our all existence.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back