Good Friday- A Legal Holiday in 12 US States. Why?

Good Friday is a widely instituted legal holiday around the world, including in most Western countries and 12 U.S. states. Some countries, such as Germany, have laws prohibiting certain acts, such as dancing and horse racing, that are seen as profaning the solemn nature of the day.
Good Friday - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good Friday

I am appalled that Good Friday- a Christian Religious Holiday- is an official state holiday in 12 states, including my state of New Jersey, where state employees are given a paid day off at the expense of taxpayers. There is no other religion that gets such a holiday

New Jersey also grants Christmas day a paid holiday to state employees which I also have a problem with. However, there was a supreme court ruling that said that it was permissible because Christmas had become more of a secular/commercial event than a religious holiday. I don't buy it but so be it. However, I would like someone to explain to me how declaring Good Friday as a government holiday is not a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment
My question is WHY NOT? I know this probably annoys your non-believing atheist heathen senses, but that's TOO BAD, PP.

Good Friday is a widely instituted legal holiday around the world, including in most Western countries and 12 U.S. states. Some countries, such as Germany, have laws prohibiting certain acts, such as dancing and horse racing, that are seen as profaning the solemn nature of the day.
Good Friday - Wikipedia

I am appalled that Good Friday- a Christian Religious Holiday- is an official state holiday in 12 states, including my state of New Jersey, where state employees are given a paid day off at the expense of taxpayers. There is no other religion that gets such a holiday

New Jersey also grants Christmas day a paid holiday to state employees which I also have a problem with. However, there was a supreme court ruling that said that it was permissible because Christmas had become more of a secular/commercial event than a religious holiday. I don't buy it but so be it. However, I would like someone to explain to me how declaring Good Friday as a government holiday is not a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment
how many American flags have you burned ?

None. But what the fuck does that have to do with the topic?
i'm just pointing out the fact that you are a coward a traitor and a liar ....that your title progressive patriot is absolutely ridiculous ! that your problem with religious holidays falls more in line with your evil chicom comrades ! tell us mr so called patriot [yeah right] ...... are the chicoms responsible for the virus ravaging the US and the world?

What the fuck is a "Chicom"??

View attachment 321328
Chinese Communist.

They chose Friday because "Good Monday' would be absurd.
Yep, AND an oxymoron!
?????? Ahhh Fuckit. I been called worse :oops:
Me too. The worst I was EVER called was "late for dinner". This has occurred only a few times in my life, the last time roughly 23 years ago, but each occurrence left a scar on my psyche that will NEVER be lifted. I HAVE been called Shirley a few times, but this happened when I WANTED to be called Shirley. These occurred a long time ago when I was a wild young lad, and would prefer not to talk about it. But if you'd like, you could start a personal conversation with me, and I could give you all the exciting, albeit, sordid details. And there MAY even be a few "sorbet" details about when I got a bit wacky with my cold desserts.................some might say they were my "just desserts"!

I agree...it should go.

Along with MLK's birthday.
MLK is not a religious holiday. Try dealing with the issue

We are talking about holidays that should not be there for religous reasons.

Or holidays that simply suck ?

You want to do away with Christmas too ?
What the fuck are you blathering about.? Try if you can to explain how a holiday dedicated to a civil rights icon is equivalent to a religious holiday

You don't read very well...but then you do have your left wing blinders on.

I asked you if you were talking about it just for religious reasons or reasons that suck.

You asked about people paying for others to take holidays that are religious in nature.

I asked if that is what you were talking about if it was just reasons that suck in general.

I then asked if you want Christmas cancelled. They don't get any more religious than that.

You see....someone can't ask for clarrification and you not lecture them like the left wing asshole that your are.

I will pay for religous holidays....but that is unconstitutional.

I don't want to pay for some lame ass holiday like MLK's birthday....but I don't think it is unconstiuttional.

So shove it (again).

Good Friday - Wikipedia

Because the establishment clause doesn’t mean what you think it does?

Good Friday - Wikipedia

The courts have consistently held that government observance of Christian based holidays does not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

In essence, the courts have held that such government observances have a secular purpose, do not advance or promote religious belief, and do not manifest as an excessive entanglement of government and religion.

The link below is a good read on the subject:

Who the fuck cares? I'm not religious either, but it doesn't bother me. I have an actual life keeping me busy, I guess.

Good Friday - Wikipedia

I will add, that when I was a supervisor in a NJ state agency, my Jewish and Muslims workers and to compete with each other and negotiate for their holidays because ewe could not let them all have those days off. Christians are not put in that position. This is not about being anti Christian . It is about fairness and the Constitution and equal protection under the law.
In a perfect world where the Framers’ mandate that church and state should remain separate, government would refrain from such religious observations to begin with.

But this world is far from perfect, and there will always be a significant number of theists who will attempt to codify religious dogma into secular law, the consequence of the authoritarianism, hubris, and arrogance of theists.

Good Friday - Wikipedia

I will add, that when I was a supervisor in a NJ state agency, my Jewish and Muslims workers and to compete with each other and negotiate for their holidays because ewe could not let them all have those days off. Christians are not put in that position. This is not about being anti Christian . It is about fairness and the Constitution and equal protection under the law.
In a perfect world where the Framers’ mandate that church and state should remain separate, government would refrain from such religious observations to begin with.

But this world is far from perfect, and there will always be a significant number of theists who will attempt to codify religious dogma into secular law, the consequence of the authoritarianism, hubris, and arrogance of theists.

Total horseshit. The framers never mentioned separation.

They forbid congress to interfere.

And state had every opportunity to do what they wanted with regards to codifying religion.

Good Friday - Wikipedia

It pains you to hear it...BUT, this nation was founded, built and funded by straight Christian Whitey....Think of Good Friday as paying homage to the founding people...your masters.

... I am appalled that Good Friday- a Christian Religious Holiday- is an official state holiday in 12 states, including my state of New Jersey, where state employees are given a paid day off at the expense of taxpayers. There is no other religion that gets such a holiday. New Jersey also grants Christmas day a paid holiday to state employees which I also have a problem with. ...

And what do you like to do now against the mayorite of the people in "your" New Jersey? Not to pay tax on Good Friday and Christmas day? How much is this? $1½? Thirty pieces of silver?

It took Christian men to establish this great Nation of freedom and tolerance for all religions, non religions, and atheists. In hindsight... seeing how Christianity is always being attacked this country, the Framers of this Nation should have made Christianity the State Religion while still maintaining the level of tolerance, protection, and freedoms for non-Christians and atheists. If this were in place, we would not have to put up with these petty bullshit complaints from ingrates who know goddamn well that few if any country in the world provide such freedoms and tolerance.

While I can't argue the OP with regards to the Constitution......we do have an unconstituational law (IMO) that allows it.

What I don't get is why we don't attack the hoildays that really are fucked up....like MLK's birthday.

I'd rather celebrate going to the dentist. I liked King, but a holiday.....bullshit.

Forum List

Back