Gone fishing for photographic fish... Oceanic endangerment and waste thrown from ships and barges.

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
Think this would be a good place to post images of ocean travellers and areas in the ocean covered with plastics, to show what they're running into.

More Garbage Than Fish In The World Oceans​

1645905896608.png
1645908271452.png

1645906468487.png
1645906652363.png
1645906678863.png
1645906825751.png

1645907289952.png

Save the oceans! :woohoo:

Attachments

• 1645907398053.png
    1645907398053.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 22
Plastics located inside fish that makes them dangerous to eat: Fish mistake plastic debris in ocean for food, according to studies.
Screen%20Shot%202017-08-16%20at%2010.56.25%20AM.png

16 Aug 2017 - Fish may be actively seeking out plastic debris in the oceans as the tiny pieces appear to smell similar to their natural prey, new research suggests.
The fish confuse plastic for an edible substance because microplastics in the oceans pick up a covering of biological material, such as algae, that mimics the smell of food, according to the study published on Wednesday in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
Scientists presented schools of wild-caught anchovies with plastic debris taken from the oceans, and with clean pieces of plastic that had never been in the ocean. The anchovies responded to the odours of the ocean debris in the same way as they do to the odours of the food they seek.

Attachments

• 1645908424834.png
    1645908424834.png
    858.5 KB · Views: 21
How dangerous are microplastics to human health?

1645909068834.png

Research released in 2021 by University of Waikato Master of Science student, Anita Lewis found extremely high levels of microplastics across the Bay of Plenty moana. Every area she tested showed evidence of microplastics, and high levels were found in shellfish.
Mussels are filter feeders
Professor Andrew Jeffs, of Leigh Marine Laboratory, explains the process of filter feeding, which is used by mussels to obtain food from seawater. (video at link below, don't miss.)

Toxic chemicals associated with plastics​

Various chemicals incorporated into plastics as raw materials or additives during manufacture can leach from plastics into the environment. Humans and other animals are also exposed to these chemicals when they ingest plastics or when these chemicals leach into food or are released into the atmosphere when plastics are burned. Some chemicals directly associated with plastics have been detected in humans and wildlife including birds and various marine species.

How much of that is thrown into the ocean at 3am from cruise ships. And lots of it is dumped by the chinese. GOv't is the problem.

Even Niagara falls is allowed to dump sewage into the niagara river in the early early morning hours so that residents and tourists do not see it.

They preach to us about the environment and they are the worst offenders while trying to make US feel guilty. I know lefties leave trash even though they talk the talk...they don't walk the walk.

There are articles available on toxicity and cures, too many to post in one day. I also have a love for ocean critters, and had originally planned to divide photographic beauty with the dangers of doing nothing to make our dear oceans that feed millions of people whose diet is 80% from the ocean and/or feeds the family along coast lines. I wish I had a boat and could figure out ways to get rid of the problem. However it's clear from some articles that key to preventing plastics getting out there in the first place is to participate in beach cleanups. There was a picture of it, too, but I lost it somewhere between the lines of looking I did today, so put "cleanup of the oceans" or similar words into your search engine and you'll see what I mean about the abundance of pollution out there as well as solutions, many of which are complex and could require a master's in oceanography to interpret. So I'm gonna play now and find some precious fish , at least I hope they're still out there in the next generation.
1645910598655.png
1645910610347.png
1645910621495.png
1645910637234.png
1645910646969.png

1645910680123.png
1645910719091.png
1645910732788.png
1645910808968.png

1645910922904.png
1645911102630.png
1645910970237.png
1645911265918.png

Attachments

• 1645910952687.png
    1645910952687.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1645911038787.png
    1645911038787.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 19
How much of that is thrown into the ocean at 3am from cruise ships. And lots of it is dumped by the chinese. GOv't is the problem.

Even Niagara falls is allowed to dump sewage into the niagara river in the early early morning hours so that residents and tourists do not see it.

They preach to us about the environment and they are the worst offenders while trying to make US feel guilty. I know lefties leave trash even though they talk the talk...they don't walk the walk.
Thanks for your insight, Calypso. Your name is like my favorite John Denver song, "Calypso." I didn't mean to make anyone feel guilty, just look into keeping plastics away from nature if possible, especially beaches and cruise ships. I think a lot of modern cruise ships have abandoned the past habit of dumping into the ocean. They would benefit because keeping the seas beautiful brings cruise customers back again and again, especially if they like scuba diving at the overnight opportunities when the cruise ship finds harbor or ports o' call. Thanks for participating. The Chinese are intellectually bright people, imho. They'll catch on when their coastal help dies off from enough sick fish ingested.

Last edited:
The Cruise ships go out beyond the 3 mile mark and dump there in large black bags and i'm sure they must be weighted. If the trash washes up on shore what do they care. There's no identifying marks. And they're allowed to do it by many governments as long as they go out further to sea. They pay fees to be able to dump. THAT is how much your environmentally friendly gov't cares about the environment.

The Cruise ships go out beyond the 3 mile mark and dump there in large black bags and i'm sure they must be weighted. If the trash washes up on shore what do they care. There's no identifying marks. And they're allowed to do it by many governments as long as they go out further to sea. They pay fees to be able to dump. THAT is how much your environmentally friendly gov't cares about the environment.
What city is this, Calypso?

If you are sincere about your concern for plastic pollution support the Break Free from Plastic Pollution Act

We shouldn't have to break free from plastic or any product that comes from oil. what we need is some honesty in environmentalism. Get these damn commies out of it who use it to con people out of money that goes to support leftist/communist causes.

If you are sincere about your concern for plastic pollution support the Break Free from Plastic Pollution Act

They're doing a lot of recycling of plastics into fuzzy wuzzy blankets that are labeled "recycled plastic," and they're really luxuriously soft. But thanks for the information, and I think I will do what I can to stop buying plates and bowls. My puppy, Miss Song, chews on them anyway. She's a mess!

The bill reads thusly:
Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2021
This bill sets forth requirements and incentives to reduce the production of a variety of products and materials, including plastics,​
and increase efforts to collect, recycle, or compost products and materials.​
The bill makes certain producers of products (e.g., packaging, paper, single-use products, beverage containers, or food​
service products)​
fiscally responsible for collecting, managing, and recycling or composting the products after consumer use.​
In addition, the bill establishes (1) minimum percentages of products that must be reused, recycled, or composted;​
and (2) an increasing percentage of recycled content that must be contained in beverage containers.​
Beginning on January 1, 2023, the bill phases out a variety of single-use products, such as plastic utensils.​
The bill also sets forth provisions to encourage the reduction of single-use products,​
including by establishing programs to refund consumers for returning beverage containers​
and by establishing a tax on carryout bags.​
The bill creates a temporary moratorium on new or expanded permits for certain facilities that manufacture plastics​
until regulations are updated to address pollution from the facilities.​
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must publish guidelines for a national standardized labeling system​
for recycling and composting receptacles. Producers must include labels on their products that are easy​
to read and indicate whether the products are recyclable, compostable, or reusable.​
The EPA must also ensure that certain clothes washers have filtration units as required by this bill.​
Finally, the bill establishes limitations on the export of plastic waste to other countries.​
Considering that plastics are so lethal to the only protein source for 10% of the world's poor who live near the coast and may be exposed to eating a lot of fish, It's worth it to me. I never have loved plastics much, anyhow, and though I recycle, I just never thought of putting plastics into recycle. Now it's making sense to me. Thanks, JLW. I always did like paper bags, paper plates, and paper cups better than plastic anyhow. Maybe they could make reusable bamboo knives, forks, and spoons to replace the plastic ones that could wind up in the belly of a whale since they so easily break they usually wind up in the trash at my house in the past. Thanks again for the hint on saving the planet's sea life.

• Love
Reactions: JLW
They're doing a lot of recycling of plastics into fuzzy wuzzy blankets that are labeled "recycled plastic," and they're really luxuriously soft. But thanks for the information, and I think I will do what I can to stop buying plates and bowls. My puppy, Miss Song, chews on them anyway. She's a mess!

The bill reads thusly:
Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2021
This bill sets forth requirements and incentives to reduce the production of a variety of products and materials, including plastics,​
and increase efforts to collect, recycle, or compost products and materials.​
The bill makes certain producers of products (e.g., packaging, paper, single-use products, beverage containers, or food​
service products)​
fiscally responsible for collecting, managing, and recycling or composting the products after consumer use.​
In addition, the bill establishes (1) minimum percentages of products that must be reused, recycled, or composted;​
and (2) an increasing percentage of recycled content that must be contained in beverage containers.​
Beginning on January 1, 2023, the bill phases out a variety of single-use products, such as plastic utensils.​
The bill also sets forth provisions to encourage the reduction of single-use products,​
including by establishing programs to refund consumers for returning beverage containers​
and by establishing a tax on carryout bags.​
The bill creates a temporary moratorium on new or expanded permits for certain facilities that manufacture plastics​
until regulations are updated to address pollution from the facilities.​
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must publish guidelines for a national standardized labeling system​
for recycling and composting receptacles. Producers must include labels on their products that are easy​
to read and indicate whether the products are recyclable, compostable, or reusable.​
The EPA must also ensure that certain clothes washers have filtration units as required by this bill.​
Finally, the bill establishes limitations on the export of plastic waste to other countries.​
Considering that plastics are so lethal to the only source for 10% of the world's poor who live near the coast and may be exposed to eating a lot of fish, It's worth it to me. I never have loved plastics much, anyhow, and though I recycle, I just never thought of putting plastics into recycle. Now it's making sense to me. Thanks, JLW. I always did like paper bags, paper plates, and paper cups better than plastic anyhow. Maybe they could make reusable bamboo knives, forks, and spoons to replace the plastic ones that could wind up in the belly of a whale since they so easily break they usually wind up in the trash at my house in the past. Thanks again for the hint on saving the planet's sea life.
I agree 100% with you on plastic pollution. Thank you for the thread.

Forum List

Back