Genetic bottleneck and Noah's ark

Newtonian

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2020
I didn't want to derail political chic's thread on Darwinian evolution so this is a spin-off from that thread. In view of being on the Science section I will start on the/a genetic bottleneck (narrowing of the gene pool) in tracing the common origin (Acts 17:26) of all human races from the mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam. I am not concerned with the molecular clock dating method - that could be still another thread. My primary interest in dates on this thread is whether a date palm was on Noah's ark.

But I also welcome any input on the scientifically tenable belief that all current species of animals came from a relatively few kinds on Noah's ark - and especially zeroing in on how Noah's ark held perhaps 1,000 animals and the food for them without over-crowding. And I will introduce my own theory about organic gardening on Noah's ark later as well. [window boxes] That part can also include some humor btw.

I intend to go into considerable depth in research, as well as imagination. The following source posits 2 genetic bottlenecks:

However, the source is relatively humble despite the extensive research being reported on. In discussing the narrowing of the human gene pool, the source states:

"However, the exact way in which this loss occurred remains somewhat unclear: did it involve one, a few or a continuous series of population bottlenecks? We addressed this by analysing a large published dataset of 783 microsatellite loci genotyped in 53 worldwide populations,"

Of course, the flood would only be one genetic bottleneck - however, the Bible does not record pre-flood history in detail. We do know that the human gene pool on the ark was less than that of animals such that inbreeding is much more dangerous in humans than in cats, for one example. Not to mention the greater variety of cats than that of humans - some even claim there is more than one cat genus and some 40 cat species surviving.

Favoring the out of Africa genetic model, the source notes:

"This decline reflects loss of diversity in population bottleneck(s) as we expanded out of Africa to colonize the world, but the timing, number and location of these events remain obscure."

That is a humble admission - somewhat rare and commendable. But my main point is that the narrowing of the gene pool in at least one genetic bottleneck is proven by genetic research. The authors are correct that genes do not determine geographical location of origins and that dates from molecular clock models are ambiguous.

After great detail in genetic studies involving various factors (such as epigenetic coding including tandem repeats and slippage) the source again humbly admits:

"The above analyses all assume that the different parts of the world that are equidistant from our origin are equivalent and that is clearly not the case. For example, populations in the Middle East are nearer to the origin than some of the within-Africa populations."

It should be noted that the Bible favors an origin in the Middle East.

Well there is much more, but I will stop there and await responses concerning genetic bottleneck(s).

In my next post I will explore models of Noah's Ark: (pun intended)

god just did it .....didn't he ? like a Star Trek Energizer??
1590427998063.png

I didn't want to derail political chic's thread on Darwinian evolution so this is a spin-off from that thread. In view of being on the Science section I will start on the/a genetic bottleneck (narrowing of the gene pool) in tracing the common origin (Acts 17:26) of all human races from the mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam. I am not concerned with the molecular clock dating method - that could be still another thread. My primary interest in dates on this thread is whether a date palm was on Noah's ark.

But I also welcome any input on the scientifically tenable belief that all current species of animals came from a relatively few kinds on Noah's ark - and especially zeroing in on how Noah's ark held perhaps 1,000 animals and the food for them without over-crowding. And I will introduce my own theory about organic gardening on Noah's ark later as well. [window boxes] That part can also include some humor btw.

I intend to go into considerable depth in research, as well as imagination. The following source posits 2 genetic bottlenecks:

However, the source is relatively humble despite the extensive research being reported on. In discussing the narrowing of the human gene pool, the source states:

"However, the exact way in which this loss occurred remains somewhat unclear: did it involve one, a few or a continuous series of population bottlenecks? We addressed this by analysing a large published dataset of 783 microsatellite loci genotyped in 53 worldwide populations,"

Of course, the flood would only be one genetic bottleneck - however, the Bible does not record pre-flood history in detail. We do know that the human gene pool on the ark was less than that of animals such that inbreeding is much more dangerous in humans than in cats, for one example. Not to mention the greater variety of cats than that of humans - some even claim there is more than one cat genus and some 40 cat species surviving.

"This decline reflects loss of diversity in population bottleneck(s) as we expanded out of Africa to colonize the world, but the timing, number and location of these events remain obscure."

That is a humble admission - somewhat rare and commendable. But my main point is that the narrowing of the gene pool in at least one genetic bottleneck is proven by genetic research. The authors are correct that genes do not determine geographical location of origins and that dates from molecular clock models are ambiguous.

After great detail in genetic studies involving various factors (such as epigenetic coding including tandem repeats and slippage) the source again humbly admits:

"The above analyses all assume that the different parts of the world that are equidistant from our origin are equivalent and that is clearly not the case. For example, populations in the Middle East are nearer to the origin than some of the within-Africa populations."

Well there is much more, but I will stop there and await responses concerning genetic bottleneck(s).

An entertaining rhetorical exercise, perhaps.

But the fact remains that there was no ‘flood,’ no ‘Noah,’ and no ‘ark.’

The belief that all current species of animals came from a relatively few kinds on Noah's ‘ark’ is indeed untenable.

Scientifically examining the 100+ worldwide flood legends is not logical because these accounts have mythical embellishments not contained in the Biblical account - though these accounts are too similar to be coincidence and likely refer to the same worldwide flood. But the Biblical account can be examined scientifically:

Genesis 6:14-16
Make for yourself an ark* from resinous wood.+ You will make compartments in the ark and cover it with tar*+ inside and outside. 15 This is how you will make it: The ark should be 300 cubits* long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. 16 You will make a window for light* for the ark, one cubit from the top. You should put the entrance of the ark in its side+ and make it with a lower deck, a second deck, and a third deck.

There are various estimates for the length of a cubit, For easier math I have chosen 18" (1.5 feet). On that basis the ark was 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and 450 feet long. How much space is that in cubic feet? Of course, simple math leads to 1,518,750 cubic feet - but some space would have been taken up by beams and walls. Our Bible dictionary has this estimate for usable space:

"Could the Ark Have Held All the Animals?

It is true that encyclopedias refer to over a million species of animals. But Noah was instructed to preserve only representatives of every “kind” of land animal and flying creature. Some investigators have said that just 43 “kinds” of mammals, 74 “kinds” of birds, and 10 “kinds” of reptiles could have produced the great variety of species of these creatures that are known today. The ark had about 40,000 cu m (1,400,000 cu ft) of usable space—ample for the passenger list"

I will go with that conservative estimate of 1,400,000 cubic feet. Let us also assume that there were 1,000 animals on the ark - also obviously a round number for easier math. I almost forgot: also 8 humans!

Now. let us assume the average size of animal was that of a rabbit. Obviously ants, crickets and mice were much smaller while horses, bison elephants and Giraffes were much larger.

Most insects would not need separate compartments - but clearly termites would be in interior dead wood from rootless trees (apple, peach, mango, etc) and branches for bird perching, monkey climbing, etc. No, Noah was smart enough to keep termites away from walls and floors.

Ants and other insects would likely be in the window boxes (more on that later) while earthworms (etc.) would be in the compost (e.g. horse manure and cow manure). Moles would likely be in one of the 4 corner larger tree window boxes.

Rabbits and other similar size animals would not require 15 foot high compartments - the height of each of the 3 decks. They would probably be happy with 3 foot high compartments - hence 5 tiers per deck - and about 10 feet by 10 feet compartments (= 300 cubic feet for each pair of rabbit size animals.

Very heavy animals would likely be on the lowest deck. Most of them would be happy with 15' high or less compartments. However, the giraffes would be up to 20 feet high - my model would have their compartment extending into the middle deck - more on that later as well.

Of course, there would be other animals larger than rabbits but smaller than horses. There could be 3 tiers of 5 foot high compartments for animals like bears, cats, dogs, etc. Kangeroos, like Giraffes, would be in middle lowest section without a floor/ceiling between the lower and middle decks. Kangeeroos would not be in a compartment - they will jump around wherever they wish to go within the the bounds of the 30 foot high middle sector. The middle sector would have a 20 foot wide, 450 foot long sloped runway for animals to run around and have fun. More on this later.

The walls of the comparments will be made of hay and straw - an average of 3 feet thick but up to 12 feet thick for cows, etc.. As the year progressed, the walls would thin out as animals ate the walls. For example, cows would eat one foot of their walls per month. There would also be some vertical beams.

You all can calculate how many compartments could be along the 25 foot wide edge sections of the ark.

In my next post, I will have fun with the window boxes - humor is welcome on this thread.

H
It was a dna raft. The only puzzle is the marsupial

Hmmm - I hadn't thought of puzzles - good entertainment for Noah and his family - though I expect ping pong would be more fun! On the top level, of course.

And a raft - perhaps after the 40 days of rain and the death of cut fruit and nut trees and branches brought onto the ark. Yes, once things calmed down for the rest of that year, Noah could have built rafts tethered to the ark.

Scientifically examining the 100+ worldwide flood legends is not logical because these accounts have mythical embellishments not contained in the Biblical account - though these accounts are too similar to be coincidence and likely refer to the same worldwide flood. But the Biblical account can be examined scientifically:

Genesis 6:14-16
Make for yourself an ark* from resinous wood.+ You will make compartments in the ark and cover it with tar*+ inside and outside. 15 This is how you will make it: The ark should be 300 cubits* long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. 16 You will make a window for light* for the ark, one cubit from the top. You should put the entrance of the ark in its side+ and make it with a lower deck, a second deck, and a third deck.

There are various estimates for the length of a cubit, For easier math I have chosen 18" (1.5 feet). On that basis the ark was 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and 450 feet long. How much space is that in cubic feet? Of course, simple math leads to 1,518,750 cubic feet - but some space would have been taken up by beams and walls. Our Bible dictionary has this estimate for usable space:

"Could the Ark Have Held All the Animals?

It is true that encyclopedias refer to over a million species of animals. But Noah was instructed to preserve only representatives of every “kind” of land animal and flying creature. Some investigators have said that just 43 “kinds” of mammals, 74 “kinds” of birds, and 10 “kinds” of reptiles could have produced the great variety of species of these creatures that are known today. The ark had about 40,000 cu m (1,400,000 cu ft) of usable space—ample for the passenger list"

I will go with that conservative estimate of 1,400,000 cubic feet. Let us also assume that there were 1,000 animals on the ark - also obviously a round number for easier math. I almost forgot: also 8 humans!

Now. let us assume the average size of animal was that of a rabbit. Obviously ants, crickets and mice were much smaller while horses, bison elephants and Giraffes were much larger.

Most insects would not need separate compartments - but clearly termites would be in interior dead wood from rootless trees (apple, peach, mango, etc) and branches for bird perching, monkey climbing, etc. No, Noah was smart enough to keep termites away from walls and floors.

Ants and other insects would likely be in the window boxes (more on that later) while earthworms (etc.) would be in the compost (e.g. horse manure and cow manure). Moles would likely be in one of the 4 corner larger tree window boxes.

Rabbits and other similar size animals would not require 15 foot high compartments - the height of each of the 3 decks. They would probably be happy with 3 foot high compartments - hence 5 tiers per deck - and about 10 feet by 10 feet compartments (= 300 cubic feet for each pair of rabbit size animals.

Very heavy animals would likely be on the lowest deck. Most of them would be happy with 15' high or less compartments. However, the giraffes would be up to 20 feet high - my model would have their compartment extending into the middle deck - more on that later as well.

Of course, there would be other animals larger than rabbits but smaller than horses. There could be 3 tiers of 5 foot high compartments for animals like bears, cats, dogs, etc. Kangeroos, like Giraffes, would be in middle lowest section without a floor/ceiling between the lower and middle decks. Kangeeroos would not be in a compartment - they will jump around wherever they wish to go within the the bounds of the 30 foot high middle sector. The middle sector would have a 20 foot wide, 450 foot long sloped runway for animals to run around and have fun. More on this later.

The walls of the comparments will be made of hay and straw - an average of 3 feet thick but up to 12 feet thick for cows, etc.. As the year progressed, the walls would thin out as animals ate the walls. For example, cows would eat one foot of their walls per month. There would also be some vertical beams.

You all can calculate how many compartments could be along the 25 foot wide edge sections of the ark.

In my next post, I will have fun with the window boxes - humor is welcome on this thread.
The Noah pleasure cruise to nowhere and flood fable is a mythical embellishment.

Appa

An entertaining rhetorical exercise, perhaps.

But the fact remains that there was no ‘flood,’ no ‘Noah,’ and no ‘ark.’

The belief that all current species of animals came from a relatively few kinds on Noah's ‘ark’ is indeed untenable.

Apparently you are not aware of how fast epigenetic coding can produce micro-evolution. For example, the change in skull shape and dog snout in the Bull terrier in 40 years due to tandem repeat sequences. Were you aware of epigenetic coding causing morphological changes in just 1,000 years?

On what basis untenable?

{Note: ten in untenable does not imply numbers that do not have a factor of 10.]

View attachment 340757

Hmmm harmonica - maybe there was a harmonica on Noah's ark! I like star trek too, btw.

Well, actually, God did not construct the ark and he only gave Noah very basic instructions.

Noah was free to build the ark within those guidelines and he could even renovate it while on the ark!

Bottom line: Noah did it, not God.

View attachment 340757

Hmmm harmonica - maybe there was a harmonica on Noah's ark! I like star trek too, btw.

Well, actually, God did not construct the ark and he only gave Noah very basic instructions.

Noah was free to build the ark within those guidelines and he could even renovate it while on the ark!

well, then, who created humans?

I expect Noah and his family were organic gardeners like my wife and I. If I was on the ark I would have brought in many plants and seedlings (and seeds) - some would die from shade eventually - though Sansevieria (snake plant) survives very dense shade:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERMWBGW/?tag=ff0d01-20

81ZTxjet2cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Costa Farms Snake Plant, Sansevieria laurentii, Live Indoor Plant, 2 to 3-Feet Tall,

Philodendrons and other shade tolerant plants could be potted on the floor of the 6 foot high top edge tier of the top level. On other hand, sun loving seedlings (eggplant, tomato, etc.) would be planted on the sunny inner edge of some window boxes. But how many window boxes?

View attachment 340757

Off topic and I think you know my belief about that!

However, I think you realize that both a man and a woman would have to be created consistent with genetic evidence - and that is on topic.

Ok, how many window boxes? Remember the ark was 450 feet long and 75 feet wide and the windows for light were 18 inches high.

Assume therefore that each window box was 3 feet long and 2 feet deep = 6 square feet.

That would mean 150 window boxes on each 450 foot wall, and 25 window boxes along the width walls.

so 900 +50 = 950 window boxes 6 sq. ' each = 5,700 square feet. However, we can lower that to 5,000 sq. feet because of the 4 corner trees with branches out the windows. The base of these tree boxes would be on the middle level and 25 feet by 25 feet.

When we lived on Long Island, New York we grew allot on our 50; by 100' plot of land. That's 5,000 sq. feet but the house took up much of of that.

The fruitfullness is increased because they could harvest by hand. What with cows, flowers. and bees plus honey in storage - the ark could have been flowng with milk and honey!.

View attachment 340757

Off topic and I think you know my belief about that!

However, I think you realize that both a man and a woman would have to be created consistent with genetic evidence - and that is on topic.
on topic----if humans built the ark
but that's just a fairytale

View attachment 340757

Noah had several hundred years as a master woodworker and plenty of money(used to be called gold/silver)

n
View attachment 340757

Noah had several hundred years as a master woodworker and plenty of money(used to be called gold/silver)

Not so sure about money vs. barter. But the tools Noah likely had access to are hinted at here:

Genesis 4:22
Also, Zilʹlah gave birth to Tuʹbal-cain, who forged every sort of tool of copper and iron. And the sister of Tuʹbal-cain was Naʹa·mah.

Now what tools were available at Noah's time is a subject for historical research - feel free you all to post on that. But "every sort of tool of copper and iron" likely included hammers among many other possible tools.

The main point is that Noah had the means and materials to build the ark.

However, as I am tired but having trouble sleeping, I would prefer posting at this moment about flowers rather than hammers or a genetic bottleneck! So, in my next post I will post on the organic gardening Noah and his family likely enjoyed.

Reposting a few basics based on Genesis 6:14-16: the ark was c. 450' long, 45 feet high and 75 feet wide with 18' high windows for light on the top of the side walls. Thus there would be 450 x 2 + 75x 2 = 1050 feet in length. Subtract 50 feet for the 4 corner windows with branches of 4 trees protruding out some of the windows. Likely the exact corner windows had 2 3' window boxes in each corner for plants prefering more sunlight, and the trees would have a base of about 5' deep 25' x 25' boxes on the floor of the middle level for the roots of these 4 trees, sloped down at first, then filled with compost and eventually sloping up.

These 4 trees could be planted before the ark was completed, and would be timed for fruits ready for harvest within a week of the start of the flood. Those 4 roof sections would be the last constructed so the trees had plenty of sunlight until just before the flood. The window boxes could be planted outside the ark and brought inside right before the flood.

How many window boxes? Assuming slightly over 999' length the 3' long (2' deep = 6 sq.') there would be 333 window boxes at 6 sq' each = 2,000 square feet or the equivalent of two 20' by 50' gardens. Intensively gardened and hand harvested this would produce more food than Noah and his family could eat - so likely it was shared with animals. Also many of the boxes would have flowers with an emphasis on flowers that honeybees like - since we want the ark to be flowing with milk and honey!

Another common food on the ark was probably cream of mushroom soup since mushrooms can grow in total shade. I suspect 5 cows and 2 bulls (I think the bulls would prefer 1 bull and 6 cows) - how much milk will 5 cows produce? That;s for another post!

But what types of flowers might Noah have grown for fragrance and honeybees? That is for my last post for tonight - as I intend to dream of flowers (counting flowers rather than sheep):

10 of the best flowers to attract honeybees and hummingbirds are here:

Hummingbirds seek nectar
Fill your garden with nectar-bearing plants this spring

10 best plants for attracting bees, butterflies, moths & hummingbirds
A ready source of nectar

bees are attracted to asters
Bee harvesting nectar from asters

herb valerian has many uses
Valerian is an herb with a long history

6. Valerian
The valerian plant is an herb known for many things, including the roots, which are often used in calming and sleep remedies. But besides that, the flowers begin to make their appearance in April and continue to produce throughout summer. Pair with nectar-bearing plants that predominantly bloom from late summer to end of fall and you’ll always have color —and honeybees — around your garden.

Posted by Rebecca West on March 21, 2017

Hummingbirds seek nectar
Fill your garden with nectar-bearing plants this spring

Except for the recent blizzard in the Northeast, the rest of the country is slowly inching its way towards spring. The rebirth of nature, such as plants and wildlife, gives gardeners the chance to contribute to the well being of the environment by planting certain species that support the creatures that, in turn, actually help support us. That greenery would be plants of the nectar-bearing variety and the creatures they attract are honeybees, butterflies and moths — in other words, insects that pollinate — and hummingbirds.
Here is a list of the 10 best plants for attracting honeybees and their pollinating brethren to your garden.

10 best plants for attracting bees, butterflies, moths & hummingbirds
A ready source of nectar

1. Verbena
There are roughly 250 species of annual and perennial semi-woody flowering plants in the verbena family, the majority of which are native to the Americas. They tend to bloom from spring to fall and require very little in the way of maintenance. Besides offering nectar and the chance for insects to pick up pollen, they provide a brilliant show of colors for container gardens and flowerbeds.

nectar-bearing plants for attracting honeybees
Sedum

2. Sedum ‘Purple Emperor’
Sedum is another plant that has many species, but the award-winning Purple Emperor — or stonecrop, as it’s commonly called — is an easy-to-grow upright variety that tolerates average soil in full sun and is fairly drought resistant, making it perfect for sunny spots with little to no shade. Blooms from mid to late summer.

hummingbird in search of nectar
Hummingbird on a butterfly bush

3. Butterfly Bush
Lochinch, better known as the butterfly bush, produces beautiful 8- to 12-inch flower spikes in pale and deep purple (sometimes described as blue), which are known to be extremely fragrant. These easy-to-grow deciduous shrubs begin blooming in late summer and go ‘til first frost, in areas with harsh winters. Attracts hummingbirds as well.

plants that attract honeybees and butterflies
Beautiful phlox in pinks and purples

4. Phlox
Several of the AGM varieties of phlox are extremely attractive to nectar-seeking creatures. They include the Franz Schubert, the Eva Cullum and the Monica Lynden-Bell. The latter two are pink and the former is a soft shade of lilac. All three provide sweet smelling blooms during summer months and make great additions to any border.

bees are attracted to asters
Bee harvesting nectar from asters

5. Asters
These daisy-like perennials bring a blaze of bright colors to any flower garden from late summer to end of autumn. New England asters are easy to grow and essentially mildew resistant. The nice thing about them is that they really take off during the height of honeybee and butterfly season, providing nectar to all that are seeking it.

herb valerian has many uses
Valerian is an herb with a long history

6. Valerian
The valerian plant is an herb known for many things, including the roots, which are often used in calming and sleep remedies. But besides that, the flowers begin to make their appearance in April and continue to produce throughout summer. Pair with nectar-bearing plants that predominantly bloom from late summer to end of fall and you’ll always have color —and honeybees — around your garden.

wallflowers
Wallflowers are a beautiful addition to any container garden

7. Wallflowers
This popular garden plant has many wild forms. Either way, they bring nectar-seeking insects and birds to wherever they happen to be. A particular type of wallflower known as Bowles’s Mauve displays a soft gray foliage with mauve flowers beginning early in the growing season, attracting butterflies and honeybees.

perennial peavine bloom
Bright pink bloom of the peavine

9. Perennial Peavine
Part of the sweet pea family, lathyrus latifolius is considered a robust, sprawling perennial native to Europe but which can also be found here in North America. Though the flowers are not fragrant, they are a beautiful shade of bright pink that bloom in the summer months. A word of caution: allowing the small pods to ripen will cause your garden to be overrun by seedlings.

Origanum attracts pollinating insects
Bring on the buzz with nectar-rich origanum

10. Origanum
A genus of herbaceous perennials, the origanum family includes the aromatic herbs oregano and marjoram. Besides attracting honeybees, it’s also well known for its antimicrobial and antifungal medicinal qualities. The Herrenhausen variety is packed with nectar and blooms in August with large sprays of small, two-tone pink and purple flowers.

Ah - sleep remedies - that's what I need! Notice that some of these plants are edible herbs - so one can harvest a few leaves for herb teas for example or various foods by the chef (not sure who was the chef in Noah's family).

So, fragrance, honeybees and herbs. I wonder which varieties Noah and his family grew?

OK, off to sleep dreaming of flowers (I hope)!

Edit: even more flowers than I intended to post.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back