Game Show

rstrats

Jul 1, 2011
You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?

Since the host knows where the car is, maybe he wouldn’t offer the switch if you didn’t have the car

You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?

I'm sure I've seen the statistical probabilities of this that one of the two options is better than the other.

Of course it's all just luck. But I guess if you did it 100 times, you'd be more likely to win by sticking or something like that.

...you'd be more likely to win by sticking...
Actually, just the opposite.

Two doors left, your odds are 50/50
What if after your initial pick of curtain #1, and before the host opens a curtain, I told you that you could stay with #1 or switch and open BOTH curtains #2 and #3? My guess is that you would switch so that you could look behind both curtains in spite of the fact that you KNOW that at least one of the curtains does not have a car behind it. Lets say that the first curtain that you open is #3 and you find that there is no car behind it. You now get to open curtain # 2, giving you 2 chances. What is the difference if you open curtain #3 or the host opens curtain #3 for you?

Forum List

Back