Funeral home refuses to cremate 82 year old man after his death

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
. . . because the owners found out on the day he dies that the 82 year old man was gay.

Homophobic hatred is not the standard for American values of decency and right action.

What is the fuck wrong with people like this? The great majority of us who are hetero do not understand the stupid hatred and meanness.

Gay man sues funeral home that refused his 86-year-old husband's body

One Mississippi family's pain and grief after losing a loved one was compounded when the local funeral home suddenly refused to perform their relative's cremation because he was gay.

Robert Huskey passed away in May 2016 after his heart condition worsened over the previous year. Knowing that his death was imminent, Huskey's nephew had made arrangements with the local funeral home the month before his passing.

Federal legislation introduced Tuesday would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which currently bans discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion or national origin. At an introduction ceremony for the Equality Act, Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin said passage of the bill will end the "patchwork" of nondiscrimination protections currently offered by only some cities and states.

"No person's fundamental civil rights should be determined by which side of a state line they live on," Griffin said. "But at this very moment, half of LGBT Americans live in a state where they are at risk of being fired, denied housing or refused service simply because of who they are. That's un-American."

Rob Hill, director of the Human Rights Campaign's Mississippi chapter, told NBC News that his office is "deeply disappointed" by the funeral home's actions.

"All Mississippians — regardless of who they are or whom they love — deserve to be treated with respect," Hill said. "We will continue to push for expanded, statewide protections for LGBTQ Mississippians so that this type of unconscionable discrimination will be prevented in the future."

Editor's Note: This article's headline mistakenly stated John Huskey was 82 when he died. He was in fact 86

I don't understand the reason why they didn't want to cremate this man... it's not logical. Even if somebody doesn't agree with homosexuality he should treat dead people with all the respect they deserve frown (1).gif

. . . because the owners found out on the day he dies that the 82 year old man was gay.

Homophobic hatred is not the standard for American values of decency and right action.

What is the fuck wrong with people like this? The great majority of us who are hetero do not understand the stupid hatred and meanness.

One Mississippi family's pain and grief after losing a loved one was compounded when the local funeral home suddenly refused to perform their relative's cremation because he was gay.

Robert Huskey passed away in May 2016 after his heart condition worsened over the previous year. Knowing that his death was imminent, Huskey's nephew had made arrangements with the local funeral home the month before his passing.

Federal legislation introduced Tuesday would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which currently bans discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion or national origin. At an introduction ceremony for the Equality Act, Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin said passage of the bill will end the "patchwork" of nondiscrimination protections currently offered by only some cities and states.

"No person's fundamental civil rights should be determined by which side of a state line they live on," Griffin said. "But at this very moment, half of LGBT Americans live in a state where they are at risk of being fired, denied housing or refused service simply because of who they are. That's un-American."

Rob Hill, director of the Human Rights Campaign's Mississippi chapter, told NBC News that his office is "deeply disappointed" by the funeral home's actions.

"All Mississippians — regardless of who they are or whom they love — deserve to be treated with respect," Hill said. "We will continue to push for expanded, statewide protections for LGBTQ Mississippians so that this type of unconscionable discrimination will be prevented in the future."

Editor's Note: This article's headline mistakenly stated John Huskey was 82 when he died. He was in fact 86

Regardless of whether you agree with the gay lifestyle, the man is dead, he is of no harm to anyone therefore just like all dead people are no harm to anyone.

It just shows disrespect for the dead, which is disgusting as these people work in a profession where their job is to care for the dead.

• Banned
"Bernie" the greatest move in the industry's history of a mortuary worker. Jack Black is marvelous. Those of us who know Carthage and San Augustine in East Texas will tell you that the characterizations are dead on.

while i may not agree with the crematorium i see no problem , take the dead guy elsewhere Sur !!

I don't agree with cremation either, but if cremation is someones personal choice then as their most final wish it should be respected regardless what race or religion or sexual orientation they are.

meh
Dude is an asshole, but we have a right to be an asshole. And he has a right to deny practices he doesn't agree with.
Its HIS body ;)

"But at this very moment, half of LGBT Americans live in a state where they are at risk of being fired, denied housing or refused service simply because of who they are. That's un-American."

Actually, that is the very essence of "American" individualism and liberty.

So is this fag's family trying to force a Christian to roast a homo carcass?

Wth is wrong with progressive nutbars?

Maybe the funeral home is located in a sanctuary state that is devoid of Civil Rights laws.

He's dead it doesn't matter anymore, how he lived in life doesn't affect anyone on earth anymore, so they should respect the dead and cremate him.

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic.

He's dead it doesn't matter anymore, how he lived in life doesn't affect anyone on earth anymore, so they should respect the dead and cremate him.

I don't understand why anybody would want to FORCE someone to dispose of a loved one's body. Why don't they just use a different business?

I don't understand why anybody would want to FORCE someone to dispose of a loved one's body. Why don't they just use a different business?

I think the issue is as I read it, this is that the funeral home was chosen and then the funeral home found out the deceased was gay and that's why they have said no.

Knowing this would cause a public situation, they should have just said they couldn't do it because they were already over booked or something if they feel so strongly about not cremating him.

As I said he's dead so who actually cares anymore if he was a gay man or a straight man, it doesn't matter anymore.

I think the issue is as I read it, this is that the funeral home was chosen and then the funeral home found out the deceased was gay and that's why they have said no.

Knowing this would cause a public situation, they should have just said they couldn't do it because they were already over booked or something if they feel so strongly about not cremating him.

As I said he's dead so who actually cares anymore if he was a gay man or a straight man, it doesn't matter anymore.
I don't care, but my point is that the whole idea of forcing people to accommodate homos at the milestones of their lives is asinine, when there are so many businesses that are happy to serve them.

I don't care, but my point is that the whole idea of forcing people to accommodate homos at the milestones of their lives is asinine, when there are so many businesses that are happy to serve them.

Of course I don't agree with forcing people to do things.

I draw the line with the dead, and it's not about forcing people to do things, considering their business is all about caring for the dead, it's just an issue of respect and being decent about things.

Forum List

Back