After 2-year-old girl shoots self, man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s gun storage law

Crepitus

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2018
His kid got his revolver and shot herself one day after the law went into effect.
A Michigan man whose 2-year-old daughter shot herself in the head with his revolver last week became the first person charged under the state’s new law requiring safe storage of guns, just days after the new measure took effect as part of a sweeping reform of gun regulations in the state.

Michael Tolbert, 44, of Flint, was arraigned Monday on nine felony charges including single counts of first-degree child abuse and violation of Michigan’s gun storage law, said John Potbury, Genesee County’s deputy chief assistant prosecuting attorney.

Tolbert’s daughter remained hospitalized Wednesday in critical condition from the Feb. 14 shooting,

I hope she recovers and he goes to jail for a long time.

How about it fellas, are your guns stored properly?

His kid got his revolver and shot herself one day after the law went into effect.

Yeah….bullshit…..,complete bullshit….

the guy is a convicted felon who can’t legally buy, own or carry a gun…he somehow shot his daughter with the gun and is trying to say she did it……a two year old couldn’t manage pulling the trigger on a revolver…revolvers have harder pull on the trigger too..

A not guilty plea was entered Monday on behalf of Tolbert, who also faces one count each of felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, lying to a peace officer in a violent crime investigation and four counts of felony firearm, Potbury said.
———-
He said Tolbert is barred from possessing firearms and ammunition because he has multiple firearms-related felony convictions and drug-related convictions.

If this guy had been in prison for any of his various felonies the two year old would be safe…

By the way….this law is unconstitutional under Heller….

Yeah….bullshit…..,complete bullshit….

the guy is a convicted felon who can’t legally buy, own or carry a gun…he somehow shot his daughter with the gun and is trying to say she did it……a two year old couldn’t manage pulling the trigger on a revolver…revolvers have harder pull on the trigger too..

A not guilty plea was entered Monday on behalf of Tolbert, who also faces one count each of felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, lying to a peace officer in a violent crime investigation and four counts of felony firearm, Potbury said.
———-
He said Tolbert is barred from possessing firearms and ammunition because he has multiple firearms-related felony convictions and drug-related convictions.

If this guy had been in prison for any of his various felonies the two year old would be safe…
Cool post dude, meaningless but cool.

Are your guns stored properly?

By the way….this law is unconstitutional under Heller….
I don't think so. The law requires the owner to secure the gun when it is unattended and there is a reasonable expectation that a minor will gain access to it.

28.429 Firearm; safe storage requirements; penalties if minor obtains firearm; exceptions; literature for firearms dealers; definitions.
Sec. 9.
(1) An individual who stores or leaves a firearm unattended on premises under the individual's control, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is, or is likely to be, present on the premises, shall do 1 or more of the following:
(a) Store the firearm in a locked box or container.
(b) Keep the firearm unloaded and lock the firearm with a locking device that is properly engaged to render the firearm inoperable by any individual other than the owner or an authorized user.

what about lighters, cars keys, butcher knives, swimming pools, kool ade, ladders, pedophiles like joe biden and so many other things that can kill a child,,

So that means when a 24 year old Tranny shoots up a Church or a School or a 17 year old Gang Banger shoots up a White Castle That their parents can be charged ?

So that means when a 24 year old Tranny shoots up a Church or a School or a 17 year old Gang Banger shoots up a White Castle That their parents can be charged ?
where did you get that idea,, first off it would take a year to find out they were black or trans,,

And plenty of other Family members knew the Tranny was gonna go on a Rampage and other family members knew the Gang Banger was gonna shoot someone for lookin at them the wrong Way
1. Ad homs mean nothing other than you can't stop with facts.

2. You don't prove anything about other family members.

3. And an asshole did not secure the gun with which a two year old shot herself.

4. You need to think before you write.

Are your guns stored properly?
Too funny. What makes you think anyone owes you an answer? FTR, only a fool would store their weapon in one place and ammo in another. All this law is intended to do is to create a new way to criminalize gun ownership. I'm glad I live in a state that finds such a law ridiculous.
FTR, I have no problem with prosecuting a person who leaves a firearm in a place where it could be reasonably expected to be found by a child, and then that child is injured or killed.

Forum List

Back