After 2-year-old girl shoots self, man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s gun storage law

A very very irresponsible adult screwed up that has a history or making poor life choices. The next article provides more details on the additional charges. The "storage law" is just a nice add on for the media to latch on to while most reports will gloss over many of the other charges. Would not be surprised if the guy was high and passed out and this poor little girl stumbled into his bedroom, found the gun and the unfortunate happened. The man is a POS human being.

Too funny. What makes you think anyone owes you an answer? FTR, only a fool would store their weapon in one place and ammo in another. All this law is intended to do is to create a new way to criminalize gun ownership. I'm glad I live in a state that finds such a law ridiculous.
FTR, I have no problem with prosecuting a person who leaves a firearm in a place where it could be reasonably expected to be found by a child, and then that child is injured or killed.
A sensible person would lock their front and back door when in bed or out at work etc..

A sensible would lock their car when parked.

A sensible person doesn't run across a road but chooses a safe place to cross.

A sensible person lock their guns in a secure cabinet when not in use, especially when they have children.

A sensible person buys products from shops and doesn't shoplift.

Then there's people like you.

When I had children, I removed the firearms from the house until they were old enough to learn and understand the responsibility and safety concerns that come with owning firearms.
I still can't find a rifle bolt I stashed from when cousins came over with little kids. Made sure all the guns couldn't shoot.

Too funny. What makes you think anyone owes you an answer? FTR, only a fool would store their weapon in one place and ammo in another. All this law is intended to do is to create a new way to criminalize gun ownership. I'm glad I live in a state that finds such a law ridiculous.
FTR, I have no problem with prosecuting a person who leaves a firearm in a place where it could be reasonably expected to be found by a child, and then that child is injured or killed.
And as usual the reprehensible right responds with stupidity and lies – in this case the lie that such measures are intended to ‘ criminalize’ gun ownership.

And as usual the reprehensible right responds with stupidity and lies – in this case the lie that such measures are intended to ‘ criminalize’ gun ownership.
onf-minkyun.gif

His kid got his revolver and shot herself one day after the law went into effect.

I hope she recovers and he goes to jail for a long time.

How about it fellas, are your guns stored properly?

They sure are.

But then, I'm not a convicted felon who in illegal possession of a firearm. That description does not match that of a person with particularly good judgement.

Like 2aguy, I find this story of a two year old shooting herself to be unlikely, to say the least. I realize that hoplophobes know little about the weapons that they fear, so let me see if I can educate you, just a bit.

There are basically two types of handguns, revolvers and "automatics." To fire either one, the operator either cocks back a hammer, and pulls the trigger to release the hammer that strikes the round, firing it (single action), or pulls the trigger which first cocks, then releases the hammer (or striker) firing the round (double action). Some revolvers only fire single action (like in western movies), some only double action, but most modern revolvers fire either way.

A cocked revolver can have a "hair trigger," but if it fired in double action mode, the trigger has a pull of typically twelve to fifteen pounds. Twelve to fifteen pounds of force must be applied to that small trigger to cock and fire the revolver. That's why revolvers don't need safeties. Accidental double action firing is nearly impossible.

The other alternative is that the two-year old cocked the revolver and then turned it on herself. An even more incredible feat.

Anyway, feel free to check what I say. The point is that it is unlikely that a two year old could pull a revolver trigger while pointing it at herself. Assuming that for some reason she wanted to do so.*

Even if that bizarre story turns out to be true, what point does it make? That idiots don't make good parents?

*Hey! I'm surprised the story hasn't been reported that the two-year old is not a girl, but was only miss-assigned that gender at birth, and attempted suicide due to fear that president Trump will be re-elected and "punish transgender children."

Dude!

Your side missed a great chance to spin it into a problem that is rampant, and extremely meaningful to your side: The plight of two-year old transkids!

They sure are.

But then, I'm not a convicted felon who in illegal possession of a firearm. That description does not match that of a person with particularly good judgement.

Like 2aguy, I find this story of a two year old shooting herself to be unlikely, to say the least. I realize that hoplophobes know little about the weapons that they fear, so let me see if I can educate you, just a bit.

There are basically two types of handguns, revolvers and "automatics." To fire either one, the operator either cocks back a hammer, and pulls the trigger to release the hammer that strikes the round, firing it (single action), or pulls the trigger which first cocks, then releases the hammer (or striker) firing the round (double action). Some revolvers only fire single action (like in western movies), some only double action, but most modern revolvers fire either way.

A cocked revolver can have a "hair trigger," but if it fired in double action mode, the trigger has a pull of typically twelve to fifteen pounds. Twelve to fifteen pounds of force must be applied to that small trigger to cock and fire the revolver. That's why revolvers don't need safeties. Accidental double action firing is nearly impossible.

The other alternative is that the two-year old cocked the revolver and then turned it on herself. An even more incredible feat.

Anyway, feel free to check what I say. The point is that it is unlikely that a two year old could pull a revolver trigger while pointing it at herself. Assuming that for some reason she wanted to do so.*

Even if that bizarre story turns out to be true, what point does it make? That idiots don't make good parents?

*Hey! I'm surprised the story hasn't been reported that the two-year old is not a girl, but was only miss-assigned that gender at birth, and attempted suicide due to fear that president Trump will be re-elected and "punish transgender children."

Dude!

Your side missed a great chance to spin it into a problem that is rampant, and extremely meaningful to your side: The plight of two-year old transkids!

Thank you…well said….

Yeah….bullshit…..,complete bullshit….

the guy is a convicted felon who can’t legally buy, own or carry a gun…he somehow shot his daughter with the gun and is trying to say she did it……a two year old couldn’t manage pulling the trigger on a revolver…revolvers have harder pull on the trigger too..

A not guilty plea was entered Monday on behalf of Tolbert, who also faces one count each of felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, lying to a peace officer in a violent crime investigation and four counts of felony firearm, Potbury said.
———-
He said Tolbert is barred from possessing firearms and ammunition because he has multiple firearms-related felony convictions and drug-related convictions.

If this guy had been in prison for any of his various felonies the two year old would be safe…
It is just unbelievable how the anti-gunners ignore the obvious facts in a case to make it fit their agendas.

Forum List

Back