Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The Alabama Supreme Court ruled Friday that frozen embryos are children, which pro-choice rights groups have warned could have dangerous implications for fertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization.

The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday reversed Mobile County Circuit Court Judge Jill Parrish Phillips’ decision to dismiss a lawsuit in which a couple sued an Alabama fertility clinic and hospital for the “wrongful death” of their frozen embryos in a ruling that was riddled with theology. The couple’s frozen embryos were destroyed after a hospital patient who accessed the freezer that held the embryos dropped them on the floor. The ruling means that the couple can sue for wrongful death.

Well , I don't know what to really think about that. Its fuckin weird is about as far as I've made it thus far.

What does come to mind:

Can I freeze some embryos in Alabama and claim them as dependents on my tax returns?

How about frozen child support if a relationship does not work out?

The Alabama Supreme Court ruled Friday that frozen embryos are children, which pro-choice rights groups have warned could have dangerous implications for fertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization.

The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday reversed Mobile County Circuit Court Judge Jill Parrish Phillips’ decision to dismiss a lawsuit in which a couple sued an Alabama fertility clinic and hospital for the “wrongful death” of their frozen embryos in a ruling that was riddled with theology. The couple’s frozen embryos were destroyed after a hospital patient who accessed the freezer that held the embryos dropped them on the floor. The ruling means that the couple can sue for wrongful death.

Well , I don't know what to really think about that. Its fuckin weird is about as far as I've made it thus far.

What does come to mind:

Can I freeze some embryos in Alabama and claim them as dependents on my tax returns?

How about frozen child support if a relationship does not work out?
Hmmmm. Who pays storage fees? If you, your question might bubble to the top of importance some day.

"The central question presented in these consolidated appeals, which involve the death of embryos kept in a cryogenic nursery, is whether the Act contains an unwritten exception to that rule for extrauterine children -- that is, unborn children who are located outside of a biological uterus at the time they are killed. Under existing black-letter law, the answer to that question is no: the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act applies to all unborn children, regardless of their location."

The lack of security at the cryogenic nursery is why they are liable. This ruling has no effect on parents who destroy their unused embryos and do not pay for a cryogenic nursery services to keep them viable.

Spelling a death knell for in vitro fertilization, Alabama is now saying destroying frozen embryos is now murder

Was anyone found guilty of wrongful death in this? We have had all kinds of wrongful death cases that didn't seem legitimate but the liberal courts found the people guilty anyway. Why should this one be any different?

Was anyone found guilty of wrongful death in this? We have had all kinds of wrongful death cases that didn't seem legitimate but the liberal courts found the people guilty anyway. Why should this one be any different?
First step

Declare eggs to be people

Forum List

Back