Finally, "The Little Mermaid", who is now black... Is in theaters!

And now I am laughing really hard, because I was right.

The Little Mermaid is predicted to sink to $38 million this weekend, and still be a hell of a long way from recouping it's cost. And at that rate, it will be yet another Disney Remake that end its theatrical run in the red.

And meanwhile, the newest Box Office King is.... Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. That is expected to gross over $110 million in the US, the largest box office opening of the year. And if that is the case, it will be in the black during its second week of release, only counting the domestic box office.

So what is the explanation now, that Sony was able to create a black superhero movie and somehow not have backlash because he is "black"? And will show a nice profit for it, something Disney will likely not do.

And now I am laughing really hard, because I was right.

The Little Mermaid is predicted to sink to $38 million this weekend, and still be a hell of a long way from recouping it's cost. And at that rate, it will be yet another Disney Remake that end its theatrical run in the red.

And meanwhile, the newest Box Office King is.... Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. That is expected to gross over $110 million in the US, the largest box office opening of the year. And if that is the case, it will be in the black during its second week of release, only counting the domestic box office.

So what is the explanation now, that Sony was able to create a black superhero movie and somehow not have backlash because he is "black"? And will show a nice profit for it, something Disney will likely not do.

Everything about this movie is right. The problem is that right wing racists targeted this movie because it has a black lead. Clearly this is a coordinated attack and the evil that is right wing white supremacists might succeed. Disney has nothing to be ashamed of. The Cinemascore for this as an A. Worth noting that Cinemascore does its polls in theaters with people who are CONFIRMED VIEWERS. The Rotten Tomatoes score among CONFIRMED VIEWERS is 95% which confirms Cinemascore's findings. The right wing fascists in this country are3 wqinning and unless we good guys start fighting back, the evil that is right wing fascism will win. Little wonder that young people are voting Democrat by large margins.

I actually went into this film not knowing what to expect. It generally is not my cup of tea. I don't think that I have ever seen a movie like this. I went largely because I wanted to see what all the fireworks were about. Instead I got involved in it and had to fight tears at the end. Halle Bailey was born to play Ariel. Her portrayal of the rambunctious, strong willed teenager was perfect. She gets a 5 out of 5. Melissa McCarthy is wonderful as a slimy, straight out of hell aunt. She gets a 5 out of 5. The whole cast is spot on and gets a 5 out of 5. The CGI is much better than the studio's Marvel films and much more consistent. The climax creates a nightmare sequence where Ursula tries to kill Eric as a act of revenge against Ariel. The sequence for the song "Under the Sea" is breathtaking. All of the songs are great. This gets a 4.5 out of 5.

Normally a film grosses what the quality of the film. In this case, it is not true. This film has had a target on it's back since Bailey was announced. Pre-Trump, this film would have been a huge hit. However racists have been emboldened by Trump and the normal people are just waking up to this fact. Spielberg's remake of Color Purple is now definitely on my list since Bailey will be in the film.

Snip... The problem is that right wing racists targeted this movie because it has a black lead... Snip
I actually went into this film not knowing what to expect. It generally is not my cup of tea.
It's interesting how it works... you can say "it's not your cup of tea", but if anyone else say it, it's racist.

It's interesting how it works... you can say "it's not your cup of tea", but if anyone else say it, it's racist.
Well...if you say it's not your cup of tea..because you hate a black girl playing the role..and it's the black part that chafes your hide..then yeah..although I'd use the term bigoted--as in, "You're a racial bigot".
Racism, to me, is really more of an institutional thing..like when it becomes your creed..if ya know what I mean~

The show's not my cup of tea either...unless I'm towing some grand-kids around..not going to see it.

Besides, the show about the show, is a lot more fun anyway.

Well...if you say it's not your cup of tea..because you hate a black girl playing the role..and it's the black part that chafes your hide..then yeah..although I'd use the term bigoted--as in, "You're a racial bigot".
Racism, to me, is really more of an institutional thing..like when it becomes your creed..if ya know what I mean~

The show's not my cup of tea either...unless I'm towing some grand-kids around..not going to see it.

Besides, the show about the show, is a lot more fun anyway.

You're projecting.

Nobody minds black actor/actress in a leading role for characters that fits them.
Tell me, would you be OK if Harriet Tubman or Rosa Parks be played by, let's say white or Asian actress?
If no, then what makes you think that making movies where Cleopatra or Queen of England are played by black actresses is?
You're good with black actress playing Anne Frank, right? How about remake of Schindler list that features exclusively black actors, would that be something?

You're projecting.

Nobody minds black actor/actress in a leading role for characters that fits them.
Tell me, would you be OK if Harriet Tubman or Rosa Parks be played by, let's say white or Asian actress?
If no, then what makes you think that making movies where Cleopatra or Queen of England are played by black actresses is?
You're good with black actress playing Anne Frank, right? How about remake of Schindler list that features exclusively black actors, would that be something?
You are, seriously, equating Harriet Tubman and Ariel, The Little Mermaid?
Surely not.
The Queen..of England...Charlette, wife the George III, was portrayed by a Black actress in Bridgerton..a historical romance. anyone with one brain cell knows that it is fiction..that England, that London..never existed. It an alternate past pot-boiler romance.
This is your complaint?

Cleopatra..yup, that's got em going in Cairo....they no like da Black fella either..and get sensitive when called African.
Goes back to the Hittites---they was the black folk that invented iron...and smashed the Old Kingdom.

BTW..a Schindler's List with Black people would be quite moving..especially if a bright director staged it on a slave ship in the Middle Passage.

When are people going to realize hardly no one gives a f*ck about the race of the mermaid. What they do give a f*ck about is if it's a good movie or not. And judging by the latest reviews and ticket sales...it's mediocre at best.

You are, seriously, equating Harriet Tubman and Ariel, The Little Mermaid?

Well, Little Mermaid is fictional character, and can be of any color.
Little Mermaid has always been white. Now, can you explain why does it matter to you to be black?

Surely not.
The Queen..of England...Charlette, wife the George III, was portrayed by a Black actress in Bridgerton..a historical romance. anyone with one brain cell knows that it is fiction..that England, that London..never existed. It an alternate past pot-boiler romance.
This is your complaint?

First of all, it's Charlotte.
Second, coming from Mecklenburg-Strelitz royal family, as a German, she was hardly black, regardless of what Netflix spinoff wanted you to believe (Portuguese, my ass).

Cleopatra..yup, that's got em going in Cairo....they no like da Black fella either..and get sensitive when called African.
Goes back to the Hittites---they was the black folk that invented iron...and smashed the Old Kingdom.

BTW..a Schindler's List with Black people would be quite moving..especially if a bright director staged it on a slave ship in the Middle Passage.

Why would Schindler list with black actors be "quite moving"? As if what Jews went thru during Nazi Germany wasn't moving enough?

The problem is that right wing racists targeted this movie because it has a black lead.

OK, just suppose your claims are correct and that influenced the domestic box office.

How does that explain the overseas box office?

You see, that is where that nonsense completely falls apart. Do you honestly think that "right wing racists" have caused the movie to tank internationally? That some how these amazingly powerful "Right Wing Racists" are causing the movie to tank in Asia, Europe, Africa, South America, and Australia?

And somehow not affecting the Spider-Man movie? Which also has a black protagonist?

You are so busy trying to push this stupid race conspiracy nonsense that you simply can't see the truth, it is not a very good movie. And the International box office now makes up around half of a movie's gross. When the gross is that low not only in the US but internationally, your claims of "right wing racists" is pure garbage.

As have most of their "live action remakes" in the last decade. That is why several of them tanked, they simply are not that good.
The success Beauty and the Beast had made Disney think all the cartoons could.go love action. Beauty and the Beast at least had roles that could go to live action fairly well. Others like Lion King, Jungle Book, Dumbo, not so much.

This makes perfect sense because when you watch olympic swimming, all the athletes at the pool are black.

Everything about this movie is right. The problem is that right wing racists targeted this movie because it has a black lead. Clearly this is a coordinated attack and the evil that is right wing white supremacists might succeed. Disney has nothing to be ashamed of. The Cinemascore for this as an A. Worth noting that Cinemascore does its polls in theaters with people who are CONFIRMED VIEWERS. The Rotten Tomatoes score among CONFIRMED VIEWERS is 95% which confirms Cinemascore's findings. The right wing fascists in this country are3 wqinning and unless we good guys start fighting back, the evil that is right wing fascism will win. Little wonder that young people are voting Democrat by large margins.
Don't the woke jacobins say that the right wing is a miniscule minority? The movie had a big opening when all the little black girls wanted to see a black mermaid. Once that was out of the way, the movie had no broad appeal domestically and less world wide.

The success Beauty and the Beast had made Disney think all the cartoons could.go love action. Beauty and the Beast at least had roles that could go to live action fairly well. Others like Lion King, Jungle Book, Dumbo, not so much.

Oh, that is not even close to the truth. Their first live action remake was The Jungle Book, way back in 1994. And it was a huge success. And they made a few more, but generally every few years. And that was in addition to their other projects and not as their only project. Then in 2016 they remade the Jungle Book yet again, then Beauty and the Beast. That is when they went all-in and made that about all they were making.

And as I already pointed out, the history of them was spotty at best. Only about half even broke even, and there were a hell of a lot of outright flops. Dumbo barely broke even, as did Maleficent. Lady and the Tramp they knew was a bomb so sent it straight to streaming. Mulan, that is a well known failure. Cruella was a bomb and lost money, Pinocchio and Peter Pan were so bad they also went straight to streaming.

Back when they made 1 or 2 a decade and they were not budgeted as "major blockbusters" but with a more moderate cost they did alright. But Disney seems unable to accept any movie not being a "blockbuster", so it is budgeting every movie to be one. If it deserves to be one or not. Hence spending over $150 million on a movie that went straight to streaming.

OK, just suppose your claims are correct and that influenced the domestic box office.

How does that explain the overseas box office?

You see, that is where that nonsense completely falls apart. Do you honestly think that "right wing racists" have caused the movie to tank internationally? That some how these amazingly powerful "Right Wing Racists" are causing the movie to tank in Asia, Europe, Africa, South America, and Australia?

And somehow not affecting the Spider-Man movie? Which also has a black protagonist?

You are so busy trying to push this stupid race conspiracy nonsense that you simply can't see the truth, it is not a very good movie. And the International box office now makes up around half of a movie's gross. When the gross is that low not only in the US but internationally, your claims of "right wing racists" is pure garbage.

It is gaining steam in the overseas box office even while it slows down here.

The movie has already surpassed it 250 million dollar cost to make.

1685969049143.png

Forum List

Back