Female USSC Justices Interrupted More often than Males

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Well, the numbers don't lie. Female SC justices are interrupted more often than male justices during oral arguments. It has been true for as long as there have been women on the Court.

What a surprise.

What is difficult to document is the reason why this is. Anyone who has spent time with female lawyers knows that they LOVE to talk when they "get the floor." Often, the audience figuratively goes to sleep while waiting for them to GET TO THE POINT(!). They will ramble on, piling exceptions on top of tangents on top of irrelevancies, until you've completely forgotten what the subject was. As a matter of practice, they will talk forever until they are interrupted or stopped; there is no alternative. Which is why female justices are interrupted more frequently than male justices. Males get to the point within a reasonable length of time and females often do not.

But the complaint is heard and goes down as just more proof of the male-dominated culture. In this case, it's the culture of the Supreme Court, but it's only one small part of the "problem." But no male has the cojones to speak up and say exactly why it is often NECESSARY to interrupt one of their colleagues because she is doing nothing but speaking to hear herself speak, going nowhere in particular and making no coherent point.

Does this make me a misogynist?

Well, the numbers don't lie. Female SC justices are interrupted more often than male justices during oral arguments. It has been true for as long as there have been women on the Court.

What a surprise.

What is difficult to document is the reason why this is. Anyone who has spent time with female lawyers knows that they LOVE to talk when they "get the floor." Often, the audience figuratively goes to sleep while waiting for them to GET TO THE POINT(!). They will ramble on, piling exceptions on top of tangents on top of irrelevancies, until you've completely forgotten what the subject was. As a matter of practice, they will talk forever until they are interrupted or stopped; there is no alternative. Which is why female justices are interrupted more frequently than male justices. Males get to the point within a reasonable length of time and females often do not.

But the complaint is heard and goes down as just more proof of the male-dominated culture. In this case, it's the culture of the Supreme Court, but it's only one small part of the "problem." But no male has the cojones to speak up and say exactly why it is often NECESSARY to interrupt one of their colleagues because she is doing nothing but speaking to hear herself speak, going nowhere in particular and making no coherent point.

Does this make me a misogynist?
It does not sound like you had any difficulty coming up with a reason, female lawyers or justices are interrupted more.:auiqs.jpg:

As a corporate attorney, I saw throughout my career the same phenomenon. When a female lawyer gets the floor, so to speak, she will talk until someone forcibly prevents her from talking any more, and when she is interrupted it is often impossible to see exactly where she was going with all that verbiage.

Then they complain about being interrupted "all the time."

Get to the [fucking] point, and you won't be interrupted.

As a corporate attorney, I saw throughout my career the same phenomenon. When a female lawyer gets the floor, so to speak, she will talk until someone forcibly prevents her from talking any more, and when she is interrupted it is often impossible to see exactly where she was going with all that verbiage.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

The problem of men interrupting women is not limited to the Supreme Court by any means. Men seem to never want to shut up and listen. They spout off constantly. Have you ever heard a male mansplain something that the listener knows about already? A republican guy go on an unstoppable political rant and then refuse to quit when his allotted time was up? Have you ever heard trump speak? He keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over.

Last edited:

Don't have a point of reference for all that. I was in court one day watching the other cases while waiting for a case I was involved in to be called and there was a female attorney who was kind of the opposite. She was sucking up time not really saying anything. The judge was getting increasingly annoyed with it. One time he said something like, "Ms. Y, this is the point at which you either say something NOW or sit down." She was young though. Didn't seem like she was very nimble on her feet.

In ancient Greek dike meant, right, justice, judgement, punish, vengeance. other court type words also began with dik.
Today we have a Judicial system. Does that mean we have a Jew dike system?

Forum List

Back