Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers

I imagine that wages will rise.
Probably not. If there aren't any workers, then who gets paid?
Only the cost of food will go up. Just as the GOP cuts food stamp for poor children and veterans.
Some mean and detestable SOB's.

If the wages rise, there will be workers.
But good workers? Not if they are fat and old Republicans.

If wages rise, prices will rise. And the GOP will be sure to cut food stamps, and not just for children and veterans.

Your hysterical partisan bile is noted and dismissed.

If wages rise there will be workers.
Why would you think that?

Remember, the Trump tax cuts for the rich and for corporations was going to cause massive increases in worker salaries.

Total, 5 million with either a small increase or a one time bonus.

Out of 154 million workers, that's like 2.8%

Wow, and all it cost was a cool two trillion.

A lot of my fellow Republicans are strong believers in the positive effects of tax cuts.

I'm more focused on the positive effects of better Trade and Immigration policies.

My point stands. If wages rise, there will be workers.

I am sorry, I have seen too many other industries sucked into this endless cycle of addiction to cheap illegal Mexican labor. It used to be migrant grape pickers, and now into every American skill set you can imagine. Who comes up with this?

Last edited:
American farmers, or American industry shouldn't enslave illegal migrants nor become dependent on slavery irregardless of what they call it now. We fought a war to end slavery and the American worker fought for better working conditions. So, don't let anyone destroy that. Not the exploiters or their politics. Illegals are destroying the workers of America.

Well maybe if we removed the safety net from the ones who don't want to work it would motivate them a bit.

It just prove the whole "subsidizing doing nothing" argument non-progressives have been making for decades.
MartyBegan, I suppose it's too late to offer higher wages and save this year's crop. Even when you'll offer it, there's no USA labor market with sufficient experienced pickers to recruit from. That's due to years of legally importing and/or illegally directly hiring low wage foreign crop pickers.

We can't have secure borders and satisfy farmland owners by using cheaper labor. We don't have manufacturing jobs due to cheaper labor produced imports, and we won't have USA crop pickers due to cheaper labor produced food imports. Or due to unsecured borders, or due to permitting farmland owners to import temporary labor that will be a back-door entry for many of those laborers to settle within the USA.

Respectfully, Supposn

... I'm more focused on the positive effects of better Trade and Immigration policies.

Correll, regarding USA's international trade: I'm among the proponents of the “improved” trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It would significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and thus to their numbers of jobs.
Respectfully, Supposn

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------
Republicans are dreaming if they think guys like this:

Will replace guys like that.

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Look at Iraq and the "freedom agenda".
Look at the deficit creating Bush Tax cuts.
Look at their nonsensical approach to coal.

First thing I thought about? Honeybee colony collapse, then the shrinking blue class American worker. Mexicans are the invasive species Oh! But they are being abused...buy whom? By the very people that advocate for them! Talk about Machiavellian schemers! All those poor Americans that lose their jobs to poor illegal mexicans? I have seen the jobscape of over 25 years change and it only benefits one class of people.

I remember when Republicans made fun of the Honeybee colony collapse. They thought any research was pork barrel spending and a wastes of taxpayer money. This from people who spent endlessly on Benghazi and Monica's BJ.

Here are some of the crops that would disappear without bees:
  • Apples. Surprise, surprise — the nation's largest producer of apples is Washington State. ...
  • Almonds. ...
  • Blueberries. ...
  • Cherries. ...
  • Avocados. ...
  • Cucumbers. ...
  • Onions. ...
  • Grapefruit.

I am sorry, I have seen too many other industries sucked into this endless cycle of addiction to cheap illegal Mexican labor. It used to be migrant grape pickers, and now into every American skill set you can imagine. Who comes up with this?
Contractors.

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

First thing I thought about? Honeybee colony collapse, then the shrinking blue class American worker. Mexicans are the invasive species Oh! But they are being abused...buy whom? By the very people that advocate for them! Talk about Machiavellian schemers! All those poor Americans that lose their jobs to poor illegal mexicans? I have seen the jobscape of over 25 years change and it only benefits one class of people.

I remember when Republicans made fun of the Honeybee colony collapse. They thought any research was pork barrel spending and a wastes of taxpayer money. This from people who spent endlessly on Benghazi and Monica's BJ.

Here are some of the crops that would disappear without bees:
  • Apples. Surprise, surprise — the nation's largest producer of apples is Washington State. ...
  • Almonds. ...
  • Blueberries. ...
  • Cherries. ...
  • Avocados. ...
  • Cucumbers. ...
  • Onions. ...
  • Grapefruit.

What worse is that mosquitos play an important role in pollenation and the scientist only plan is to wipe the mosquitos out...Stupid scientist.

Well maybe if we removed the safety net from the ones who don't want to work it would motivate them a bit.

It just prove the whole "subsidizing doing nothing" argument non-progressives have been making for decades.
MartyBegan, I suppose it's too late to offer higher wages and save this year's crop. Even when you'll offer it, there's no USA labor market with sufficient experienced pickers to recruit from. That's due to years of legally importing and/or illegally directly hiring low wage foreign crop pickers.

We can't have secure borders and satisfy farmland owners by using cheaper labor. We don't have manufacturing jobs due to cheaper labor produced imports, and we won't have USA crop pickers due to cheaper labor produced food imports. Or due to unsecured borders, or due to permitting farmland owners to import temporary labor that will be a back-door entry for many of those laborers to settle within the USA.

Respectfully, Supposn

There are answers to all of that.

... I'm more focused on the positive effects of better Trade and Immigration policies.

Correll, regarding USA's international trade: I'm among the proponents of the “improved” trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It would significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and thus to their numbers of jobs.
Respectfully, Supposn

I will look at that, at some point.

But regardless, Lets just stop being the world's bitch.

There is no excuse for US accepting this massive trade deficit.

----------

04centralvalley4-superJumbo.jpg

Gee...perhaps if you idiot liberals hadn't indoctrinated our young into thinking they deserve a "living wage" even if they don't work...they'd get their lazy asses off the couch and do some of the menial labor jobs that are now only done by illegals? Duh?

Respectfully, Supposn

I have a feeling if the supply of cheap labor from illegals was cut off the growers would find a way. We keep forgetting that stress is the creator of innovation.

Respectfully, Supposn
Correll, you're reluctant to share the answer?
Respectfully, Supposn

----------

04centralvalley4-superJumbo.jpg

Gee...perhaps if you idiot liberals hadn't indoctrinated our young into thinking they deserve a "living wage" even if they don't work...they'd get their lazy asses off the couch and do some of the menial labor jobs that are now only done by illegals? Duh?

Republicans will never work. They elected a man who lied to his workers that he would pay them and when they finished doing the work, he said so sue me.
He still has lawsuits against him from hard working Americans that he stiffed.
That makes him a liar and a thief and still Republicans love him. Maybe because they identify. What else could it be?

Respectfully, Supposn
Correll, you're reluctant to share the answer?
Respectfully, Supposn

Even when you'll offer it, there's no USA labor market with sufficient experienced pickers to recruit from.

A. It's bullshit that they are that short. Trump hasn't been deporting people by the trainload.

B. It's picking fruit. How long does it take to master?

We can't have secure borders and satisfy farmland owners by using cheaper labor.

Sure we can.

If it were not for the massive illegal population for them to hide among, we could easily have a reasonable guest worker program LIMITED TO PICKING FRUIT, while having secure borders.

Or we can ship them all home and only grow shit that can be picked by machines.

we won't have USA crop pickers due to cheaper labor produced food imports.

They undercut us because they pay their workers shit? SOunds like a good enough reason to tariff the difference.

due to permitting farmland owners to import temporary labor that will be a back-door entry for many of those laborers to settle within the USA.

Easily dealt with, if we are fucking serious adults and not children to be swayed by a few tears and a fucking sob story.

Let them know that if they are caught doing that, they we confiscate EVERYTHING, in this country they own, and then imprison them for 6 months and then send their asses home.

And the next time, it is even worse.

Farmers used to hire illegals on the sly years ago , 50- 60 years ago. Now illegal aliens have become this massive blockbuster in just about ANY semi or unskilled labor related industry. What used to be a minor issue has metastasized into this HUGE issue...Somebody has got to bite the bullet and suffer the consequences, hiring illegals is a black mark on all of us and it's got to end. It's like industry is addicted to illegals instead of heroin and they need an intervention. Cold turkey, hire Americans. We don't need to build walls, either.

Respectfully, Supposn

I have a feeling if the supply of cheap labor from illegals was cut off the growers would find a way. We keep forgetting that stress is the creator of innovation.
Farmers took advantage of ILLEGAL labor for years and reaped a profit. If those days are over, good. The sad thing is that these farmers and other employers are all openly whining that they've lost their slave labor; it's obvious if those illegals came back, they'd hire them in a minute and apparently the government is too busy separating parents from children at the border to do anything about these ILLEGAL EMPLOYERS.

Respectfully, Supposn

Farmers took advantage of ILLEGAL labor for years and reaped a profit. If those days are over, good. The sad thing is that these farmers and other employers are all openly whining that they've lost their slave labor; it's obvious if those illegals came back, they'd hire them in a minute and apparently the government is too busy separating parents from children at the border to do anything about these ILLEGAL EMPLOYERS.

I wouldn't heap too much angst on the farmers, considering that even if the migrants lives sucked on those farms, it is probably better than then shitty life they left.

if it wasn't, they wouldn't be coming here over and over and over again.

Plus the countries that are shitholes to begin with LOVE when their people leave and work in the US. It removes the burden from them, and a lot of the people send money back home.

There are plenty of bad actors here, but no one really evil.

Forum List

Back