Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers

They won't, so they'll go out of business. Just like the textile industry left the US (remember when the last US Levi's factory closed?), several food sources will be imported from other nations; probably Mexico due to proximity. Sure, much of staple food farming is automated and corporate run so things like wheat and corn will still be here.

....and, of course, Soylent Green will always be fully automated. :D

Either wages rise or once we get a handle on the crisis, we can set up a well enforced migrant guest worker program. Thought not with Mexico. They are assholes. FUck them.
I'll be curious to see how all that works out as I'm tending my acre of produce; mostly tomatoes and hot peppers.

I imagine that wages will rise.
Probably not. If there aren't any workers, then who gets paid?
Only the cost of food will go up. Just as the GOP cuts food stamp for poor children and veterans.
Some mean and detestable SOB's.

If the wages rise, there will be workers.
But good workers? Not if they are fat and old Republicans.

If wages rise, prices will rise. And the GOP will be sure to cut food stamps, and not just for children and veterans.

Either wages rise or once we get a handle on the crisis, we can set up a well enforced migrant guest worker program. Thought not with Mexico. They are assholes. FUck them.
I'll be curious to see how all that works out as I'm tending my acre of produce; mostly tomatoes and hot peppers.

Only the cost of food will go up. Just as the GOP cuts food stamp for poor children and veterans.

While I agree, consider that businessmen will do what makes them the most money.

Let's say you and I are the CEO's of two different agricultural corporations. You choose to raise wages to $30K/year for each lettuce picker ($14.43/hour @40hour/week) and then raise prices on lettuce to pass the extra costs to consumers while maintaining your corporate bottom line and Christmas bonus. I, OTOH, choose to start selling off my corporate lettuce farmland (while retaining wheat and corn fields) for condos and import lettuce, for a smaller rise in cost due to lower labor costs, and, like you, pass the extra costs onto the consumer albeit still sell the lettuce at a cheaper price than you. All I have to do to undercut you and put your out of business is to consistently sell my lettuce for five to ten cents less than you. Your lettuce will rot on the shelves and I'll be buying a second coastal vacation home. :D
You must listen to Rush or one of his pals because that's what he was preaching until that behavior caused enough unemployment to help cause the Housing Bubble crash.

While I agree, consider that businessmen will do what makes them the most money.

Let's say you and I are the CEO's of two different agricultural corporations. You choose to raise wages to $30K/year for each lettuce picker ($14.43/hour @40hour/week) and then raise prices on lettuce to pass the extra costs to consumers while maintaining your corporate bottom line and Christmas bonus. I, OTOH, choose to start selling off my corporate lettuce farmland (while retaining wheat and corn fields) for condos and import lettuce, for a smaller rise in cost due to lower labor costs, and, like you, pass the extra costs onto the consumer albeit still sell the lettuce at a cheaper price than you. All I have to do to undercut you and put your out of business is to consistently sell my lettuce for five to ten cents less than you. Your lettuce will rot on the shelves and I'll be buying a second coastal vacation home. :D
You must listen to Rush or one of his pals because that's what he was preaching until that behavior caused enough unemployment to help cause the Housing Bubble crash.
I don't listen to drug addicts or other RW assholes on the radio nor watch them on television. Do you watch MSNBC?

I don't listen to drug addicts or other RW assholes on the radio nor watch them on television. Do you watch MSNBC?
I listened to CTR until the day Obama took office and Limp aw blamed the crash on Obama.
We cannot have open borders.
If we do, no one can have a credit rating.

Maybe it's time we stop having first world workers compete on a "level" playing field with third world labor, with slave wages and no regulations.

Not really. It's supply and demand. If the demand stays hi and the supply goes down, the price goes up. 101.

If the price rises HALF that much, demand will drop dramatically and supply will increase dramatically.
Agreed, which is why importers will clean up and domestic producers will go bankrupt.

If US labor CAN'T compete against Third World labor, than let's stop playing that game.

If wages rise, prices will rise. And the GOP will be sure to cut food stamps, and not just for children and veterans.

Your hysterical partisan bile is noted and dismissed.

If wages rise there will be workers.

Not really. It's supply and demand. If the demand stays hi and the supply goes down, the price goes up. 101.

If the price rises HALF that much, demand will drop dramatically and supply will increase dramatically.
Agreed, which is why importers will clean up and domestic producers will go bankrupt.

If US labor CAN'T compete against Third World labor, than let's stop playing that game.
Agreed, and that's exactly what's going to happen.

Utter bullshit.

FIne. Why play a game that is rigged against US?

How is it rigged?

How is it rigged?

Different wage scales, different regulatory environments, for starters.

You're the one that said we can never win.

Why play a game you can never win?

How is it rigged?

When did I say "we can never win"?

How is it rigged?

When did I say "we can never win"?

I said, if US labor can't compete against Third World Labor, lets stop playing that game and you agreed.

Why would you think that?

Remember, the Trump tax cuts for the rich and for corporations was going to cause massive increases in worker salaries.

Total, 5 million with either a small increase or a one time bonus.

Out of 154 million workers, that's like 2.8%

Wow, and all it cost was a cool two trillion.

Maryland crab industry suffering from worker shortage

Crab crisis: Maryland seafood industry loses 40 percent of work force in visa lottery

Crabmeat industry hit hard by lack of workers

Maryland crab industry loses nearly half of workforce in visa lottery

Seems like every week, there's another industry Trump and the GOP are ruining. The country can't keep this up forever. There will be a tipping point. And when it comes, Trump's disaster will make Bush's economic debacle look like a mere "blip".

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------
Republicans are dreaming if they think guys like this:

Will replace guys like that.

04centralvalley4-superJumbo.jpg

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Look at Iraq and the "freedom agenda".
Look at the deficit creating Bush Tax cuts.
Look at their nonsensical approach to coal.

But, this is exactly what trump/1%s want. Drive out small family farms, buy up their land for pennies on the dollar and keep right on bringing in the same migrant workers they get away with now.

Interesting you tubes by RW slime politicians in AZ. They've been saying the same thing for years. And we saw what happened in Alabama but did the right pay attention? Nope.

This hurts the people who likely voted for trump. Rural, small farms owned by the family for a long love LONG time. They're deep in debt and they can't take another hit.

And the RW 1% swoops in to "help".

We've been watching the same thing from Monsanto and "growers" like butterball.

Damn fools say its Obama's fault, Hillary's fault. And they fill out their bankruptcy papers.

Why would you think that?

Remember, the Trump tax cuts for the rich and for corporations was going to cause massive increases in worker salaries.

Total, 5 million with either a small increase or a one time bonus.

Out of 154 million workers, that's like 2.8%

Wow, and all it cost was a cool two trillion.

I would also like to know why Correll would say that.

After all, the gop and trump have already been at it and LyinRyan says he wants to screw over some more poor people before he fake retires to become another fat cat lobbyist and feed off the public dole for even longer. And trump will be more than happy to CONTINUE to screw over vets, active military, elderly, children - all the groups the RWs hate.

What exactly comprises a "livable wage"? What necessities should a "livable wage" provide? Are cars, laptops, TVs, VCRs, cell phones covered under this concept? Or would those needs include: adequate nourishment and housing?
Food, clothing and a place to live .
OK, that's acceptable. To what standard? (I would suggest the same standard applied to military personnel.)
The government doesn't set the standard, just like the minimum wage should be driven by the economy and it was never meant to be a livable wage, as far as I know.

Back to farmers. They need to come up with a pay that is fair and will entice people to work for them. One standard could be, welfare, another would be the average rate for rentals, and lastly clothing which if properly shopped is relatively inexpensive.
They won't, so they'll go out of business. Just like the textile industry left the US (remember when the last US Levi's factory closed?), several food sources will be imported from other nations; probably Mexico due to proximity. Sure, much of staple food farming is automated and corporate run so things like wheat and corn will still be here.

....and, of course, Soylent Green will always be fully automated. :D
So the answers are, effectively slavery or closing down and getting food from sources unknown.

The documentary, Food Inc is a real eye opener.

Big slaughterhouses and others advertising in Mexico and transporting them in. A lot more. Worth watching.

Farmers 'panic-stricken' by shortage of migrant workers United Press International

'We're too late -- it's done for us,' Jerry Adrian, 63, a cherry grower in Benton City, Wash., said Wednesday. Forty tons of his crop will rot on the trees for a loss of $40,000, he said.

Ed Kane, a cherry and apple grower in Wenatchee, Wash., said, 'I'm really damn well scared.'

Farm officials in the Northwest said a shortage of more than 16,000 workers will threaten strawberry and cherry crops in the next two weeks, and may damage the fall apple harvest.

California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws.

With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...ker-shortage-farmers-push-back-on-immigration

As 18 Guatemalans in hoodies and rubber boots toiled in such conditions recently in Oregon's Willamette Valley, their boss expressed admiration for their willingness to do the back-breaking work he said native-born Americans won't do.

"Homeless people are camped in the fir forest over there," the farmer said, pointing to a stand of trees. "And they're not looking for work."

"I don't trust that temps off the street, or jailhouse labor, or whatever alternative they come up with would work," she said.
----------
Republicans are dreaming if they think guys like this:

Will replace guys like that.

The problem with Republicans is they believe "If we do this, that will happen". Only it NEVER happens the way they plan. Never. Why? Because they don't believe in study and data and understanding.

Look at Iraq and the "freedom agenda".
Look at the deficit creating Bush Tax cuts.
Look at their nonsensical approach to coal.

First thing I thought about? Honeybee colony collapse, then the shrinking blue class American worker. Mexicans are the invasive species Oh! But they are being abused...buy whom? By the very people that advocate for them! Talk about Machiavellian schemers! All those poor Americans that lose their jobs to poor illegal mexicans? I have seen the jobscape of over 25 years change and it only benefits one class of people.

Forum List

Back