Family Estrangement

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Today at Church, when prayer requests were shared, someone asked for us to pray for estranged family members.

It got me thinking of how lucky I am in my analog life that there is no estrangement in my family or extended family, or in my wife's family. The closest estrangement I know of is when my mother's uncle (long since dead) refused to speak with his daughter because she married a Protestant (THE HORROR!)

So I open this thread to speak about family estrangement and why it might occur. Care to share your own experience if you would like.

I have a few nieces ( my sisters who died ) who blamed everyone for the choices they made and are on welfare still having the mindset that everyone owes them.
I have tried to help them several times, but they want to just take and stay where they are. I had to step away as much as I would like to change their world.
I was a orphan at 18 and had to work really hard , it is not like I had it easy either.

Sometimes the one requesting the prayer...

... for someone else...

... is the one most in need of prayer themselves.

Last edited:
I haven't had anything to do with my older sister since 2002 and I haven't had anything to do with my dad or my younger half sister since 2004. When people are not sorry for any of the choices that they continue to make, well then my hands are washed of them completely until they themselves finally change.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I may be a lot of things, but an enabler will never be one of those things.

Divorce is rampant in my family

My mom and dad divorce. Both remarried.
My sister has been married 5 times
My brother divorced and remarried.
I'm the only one that has been married only once, but, I didn't marry until I was 39 and had 2 kids out of wedlock.
(Not sure if that is any better....)

I don't think we have any other "estrangements" - maybe me and my Dad, but even when family events brought us together, we were fine. I just never felt like he was a Dad to me. Never really spent much time with him as he left when I was 5 and started a new family 500 miles away... never called etc.

I have not talked with my Mother since 2002, She simply could not let go and let me live my life (I was 25 at the time). Haven't had much contact with any of my three brothers since either, they seem to beleive I am in the wrong, and should just let her try to run my life through her manipulative and guilt ridden ways. My Dad left when I was about 8, wait, maybe my Mom kicked him out, not really sure as noone will give me a straight answer. Guess my family, or lack there of, is pretty much all estranged, and fucked up. Oh well, there is still hope. I have adopted my in-laws and that seems to be going.... better at least.

I don't keep in close contact with my family. Most of the time I don't like to talk to them.
I don't know why... ?
They are not mean. My mother is nice but neurotic and if I'm around her for more than 1 day I feel like I'm going to lose my marbles.
I enjoy my sons (now grown) - once I'm with them I have a blast and we talk non stop.
Sister lives 40 mins from me and I rarely see her or talk to her.
Brother, same. It's strange.

Well, my great great great uncle-in-law was Nathan Bedford forest. lol
He wasn't estranged. Just smart as fuck while being ignorant in the same sense. Typical at that time, I reckon.
I also have a cousin that has a fake dick and obvious mental illness.
He cut of his tits and now works on the yard with no shirt. Amazing how a little lack of fat can beat the law LOL

He wasn't estranged. Just smart as fuck while being ignorant in the same sense. Typical at that time, I reckon.
He cut of his tits and now works on the yard with no shirt. Amazing how a little lack of fat can beat the law LOL
What the fuck is your point? Do you really just enjoy tearing others down, even your own family?

What the fuck is your point? Do you really just enjoy tearing others down, even your own family?
Hello sir. Did you happen to read the OP? I was discussing family estrangement. My cousin is a nutcase. Quit literally in fact. Nobody talks to him but his mentally ill wife. Even his brother wont talk to him. He alienated himself. Of course, he cant help it because of the illness, but the point stands..
Granted, idk why I put NBF in there. I guess, just because its cool.. lol

Hello sir. Did you happen to read the OP? I was discussing family estrangement. My cousin is a nutcase. Quit literally in fact. Nobody talks to him but his mentally ill wife. Even his brother wont talk to him. He alienated himself. Of course, he cant help it because of the illness, but the point stands..
I surmise from your response that it is in your nature to insult people, therefore I will not take offense. And, yes I did read the OP. The point I was trying to make was not about the subject matter, but about your approach. Abrasive would be a kind way of desribing it. The way you decribe your cousin's situation is callous, demeaning, and insulting. I would agree that there is likely some sort of mental issue present for anyone who changes their body in such a dramatic way, however, de-humanising them does nothing to help that person. I accually feel really bad for people like your cousin, maybe if you thought about what it must be like to be them you could have a little more compasion for them too. Just my two cents worth.

I surmise from your response that it is in your nature to insult people, therefore I will not take offense. And, yes I did read the OP. The point I was trying to make was not about the subject matter, but about your approach. Abrasive would be a kind way of desribing it. The way you decribe your cousin's situation is callous, demeaning, and insulting. I would agree that there is likely some sort of mental issue present for anyone who changes their body in such a dramatic way, however, de-humanising them does nothing to help that person. I accually feel really bad for people like your cousin, maybe if you thought about what it must be like to be them you could have a little more compasion for them too. Just my two cents worth.
You have no fuckin clue about my family or my cousin.
You think you can get enough info to make a judgment like THAT, from a couple of posts on the internet? GFY
You have NO IDEA what that c&^t has done. NONE.

You think you can get enough info to make a judgment like THAT, from a couple of posts on the internet? GFY
No I don't. But I do know how you are reacting to me calling you out on being a jerk about it. What ever they have done, does it make them less human than you? I seriously doubt it.

No I don't. But I do know how you are reacting to me calling you out on being a jerk about it. What ever they have done, does it make them less human than you? I seriously doubt it.
Im not going to argue your strawmen created from your fallacious judgements.

I love my family. They aren't perfect, but I love them anyways. There are some members on both sides of my family that I don't even really know though. My grandfather ran away from home at a young age with his older brother and started a life of his own, got married bought a house and had 3 kids, and I guess he never kept in touch with his family. I met his sister (my great aunt) a few times when I was VERY young, so I barely remember her and I think she has since passed away. I also have relatives in Maine that I only see once in a great a while. My mother is a difficult person but I know she loves me and I love her even though she can be a PITA. :D So, I don't really have any big problems with any of my family members thankfully.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Ill be here all day!

Forum List

Back