Family Estrangement

I am presently estranged from my grandmother. I wish her nothing but the best in life; however, our relationship is entirely over. I prefer to remember her the way she was, not the creature she has become.

Today at Church, when prayer requests were shared, someone asked for us to pray for estranged family members.

It got me thinking of how lucky I am in my analog life that there is no estrangement in my family or extended family, or in my wife's family. The closest estrangement I know of is when my mother's uncle (long since dead) refused to speak with his daughter because she married a Protestant (THE HORROR!)

So I open this thread to speak about family estrangement and why it might occur. Care to share your own experience if you would like.

Hello! I too am very interested in family estrangement. It is the topic of my dissertation that I am working on at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. If anyone is interested in talking to me about their experience of family estrangement, I am attaching the guidelines for my study to this post. Looking forward to speaking with people! To participate in my study you must be at least 19 years old, estranged from any family member from your family of origin, and see that estrangement as functional (i.e. healthy or desirable). If this applies to you, please contact me at [email protected], and we can set up a time to chat.

Forum List

Back