Ellison very possible risks acquittal for Chauvin in order to virtue signal.

What I find interesting is that the left assumes he's going to be convicted but that is not a foregone conclusion.

Jurors, definitely white jurors, are not too inclined to convict a cop for murder while he is attempting to subdue a violent black suspect with a criminal record.

We saw it happen when those four cops were acquitted for beating Rodney King and wow everyone thought they'd be convicted for sure but they weren't.

With all due respect, no juror of ANY ethnicity would dare acquit the cop.

If the cop were acquitted (or even if there were a hung jury), riots would break out that would make the current riots look like child's play.

Besides, if he were acquitted, the prosecutors would try him on something else.

If there were a hung jury, the prosecutors would simply try him again and again and again until they got the verdict that they wanted.

What I find interesting is that the left assumes he's going to be convicted but that is not a foregone conclusion.

Jurors, definitely white jurors, are not too inclined to convict a cop for murder while he is attempting to subdue a violent black suspect with a criminal record.

We saw it happen when those four cops were acquitted for beating Rodney King and wow everyone thought they'd be convicted for sure but they weren't.

If the cop were acquitted (or even if there were a hung jury), riots would break out that would make the current riots look like child's play.

If there were a hung jury, the prosecutors would simply try him again and again and again until they got the verdict that they wanted.
The point of the OP was there is no need to go for second, and leave the prosecution with the impossible task of proving intent. Zero people on planet earth were complaining about the cop getting 3rd degree murder. That was a slam dunk case. This is virtue signaling bullshit infecting the highest state level. I don’t care how much a piece of shit the defendant is. The jury should not be coerced into making a decision because they fear the backlash of making that decision. That’s not how our system is supposed to work. People are in hear cheering on the fact that justice isn’t going to be blind in this case. An eye for an eye was never about exacting revenge. It was about making sure the punishment fit the crime.

No reasonable jury will agree with the argument being posited by the OP.

Any sane American understands that keeping the full weight of a grown-ass-man on the neck of an individual is, in fact, an intent to kill said individual.

The procedure notwithstanding. It will be gotten rid of after this as well.

This case rests solely with the jury chosen. I just hope there's at least 4 blacks on it.

I agree that he killed the man but the law is on the officers side unless there is a provision in the law that says you can only hold your knee on someone's neck for 1, 2, 3 minutes. I'd bet heavily that the officer walks.

No reasonable jury will agree with the argument being posited by the OP.

Any sane American understands that keeping the full weight of a grown-ass-man on the neck of an individual is, in fact, an intent to kill said individual.

The procedure notwithstanding. It will be gotten rid of after this as well.

This case rests solely with the jury chosen. I just hope there's at least 4 blacks on it.

I agree that he killed the man but the law is on the officers side unless there is a provision in the law that says you can only hold your knee on someone's neck for 1, 2, 3 minutes. I'd bet heavily that the officer walks.
I’m not so sure, I think he’s got a 50-50 shot if he gets his case tried elsewhere. If not then 90-10 going against him. But it’d be 100% chance if Ellison just stuck with 3rd degree. You can’t prove intent to kill. Especially not if it’s considered “safe” police procedure. This is a case of a cop using the “rules” in his favor to be a dick, and someone dying as a result. 3rd degree murder is perfect. 40 year sentence. I doubt he’ll last that long in there.

Ellison ups charges from 3rd degree murder, (which is exactly what should be charged as well as a slam dunk case) to 2nd degree murder.

3rd Degree murder defined in Minnesota:
“Minnesota law originally defined third-degree murder solely as depraved-heart murder("without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life")”

2nd Degree Murder in Minnesota:
“Second-degree murder is an intentional killing, but is less serious than first-degree murder because some malicious factors aren’t present.”

Now, what made this case already difficult, and Ellison knows this full well, is that a knee on the neck is part of the police procedure for the city of St Paul. Yes it’s an absurd police procedure, but it is part of the curriculum taught of how to subdue a perp.

So Ellison is going to risk Chauvin getting off because he wants to virtue signal to the rest of the world. And if he does get off, Ellison and the left can say “see, told you the system is racist, these cops get away Scott free”. Even though the problem lies in Ellison himself overcharging.

Even if it wasn't part of PD policy....

They have qualified immunity

Nothing is gonna happen to them if they go by the letter of the law

It depends on what the prosecutor charges him with.

If they charge him with both second and third degree murder, the jury gets to choose.

But if the prosecutor goes for broke and charges for second only, then the jury will have to decide if he's guilty of that, and if he isn't, they have no choice but to let him off completely.

Reality check, buddy. After this last week and all the riots, Ellison could charge him with Witchcraft and they'd find him guilty of that.

The Liberal Rioting will be over by the time of any trial. Further, an IMPARTIAL jury and a FAIR trial, including the presumption of innocence is guaranteed to all defendants.
Like O.J.Simpson

Ellison ups charges from 3rd degree murder, (which is exactly what should be charged as well as a slam dunk case) to 2nd degree murder.

“Minnesota law originally defined third-degree murder solely as depraved-heart murder("without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life")”

“Second-degree murder is an intentional killing, but is less serious than first-degree murder because some malicious factors aren’t present.”

Now, what made this case already difficult, and Ellison knows this full well, is that a knee on the neck is part of the police procedure for the city of St Paul. Yes it’s an absurd police procedure, but it is part of the curriculum taught of how to subdue a perp.

So Ellison is going to risk Chauvin getting off because he wants to virtue signal to the rest of the world. And if he does get off, Ellison and the left can say “see, told you the system is racist, these cops get away Scott free”. Even though the problem lies in Ellison himself overcharging.

Qualified immunity I’m pretty sure only applies to civil suits. In criminal matters police have the Law enforcement bill of rights. It’s basically some bullshit that says cops have to be treated with kid gloves while under investigation. That won’t help chauvin in this case.

Given that Chauvin kept his knee on Floyd's neck for nearly 8 minutes, even for the final 3 minutes when Floyd went limp, I think the second degree murder charge is credible. But I certainly hope that the DA includes the third degree murder charge as an option. If he goes just for second degree murder, he will reduce his odds of getting a conviction.

Qualified immunity I’m pretty sure only applies to civil suits. In criminal matters police have the Law enforcement bill of rights. It’s basically some bullshit that says cops have to be treated with kid gloves while under investigation. That won’t help chauvin in this case.

Ahhh i thought this applied both criminally and civilly. It's just civil

but if they take a judge instead of a jury, they won't get convicted

no american police have been convicted of an on duty murder since 2005 according to google

Ahhh i thought this applied both criminally and civilly. It's just civil

but if they take a judge instead of a jury, they won't get convicted

no american police have been convicted of an on duty murder since 2005 according to google

Caracappa and Eppolito were convicted in 2006, but the murders they were convicted of were from before that.

The point of the OP was there is no need to go for second, and leave the prosecution with the impossible task of proving intent. Zero people on planet earth were complaining about the cop getting 3rd degree murder. That was a slam dunk case. This is virtue signaling bullshit infecting the highest state level. I don’t care how much a piece of shit the defendant is. The jury should not be coerced into making a decision because they fear the backlash of making that decision. That’s not how our system is supposed to work. People are in hear cheering on the fact that justice isn’t going to be blind in this case. An eye for an eye was never about exacting revenge. It was about making sure the punishment fit the crime.

Sadly, our system of "justice" does not work as it is "supposed to work."

Remember that grandstanding woman judge who in sentencing that doctor for molestation implied that he would be murdered in prison?

No juror would dare acquit the cop. They know that Insurrection leaders would come after her/him. Yes, jurors' names are confidential, but of course Insurrection sympathizers work in the justice system.

I have been worried about this from the begining. The first thing that's too g to happen is a defence lawyer is going to point to all the riots across the world and say his guy can't get a fair trial. It's going to be a mess.

The AG has left the third degree murder charge against Chauvin as an option, in case the jury won't convict on second degree murder. Very smart move.

The AG has left the third degree murder charge against Chauvin as an option, in case the jury won't convict on second degree murder. Very smart move.
Ok well then that’s better. They won’t get second degree.

You have to prove intent to kill now. I’m not the one overcharging. I’m also not the one on the jury. Not a single sole was mad about 3rd degree murder. That’s a slam dunk case.

Nobody is mad about second degree murder other than the Blue Lives Matters Assholes.

He had his knee on the guys neck for NINE FUCKING MINUTES. He kept it on there after the guy stopped moving, stopped breathing and was obviously DEAD. If that isn't "intent", I'm not sure what is.

Again, the people would convict him of WITCHCRAFT if that had been charged. Nobody is going to feel all that bad for this racist fuck.

The city council just voted to disband the whole fucking police department, that's how sick of this shit they are.

Ok well then that’s better. They won’t get second degree.

Sure they will, easily. Nobody is going to think about how their lives were turned upside down because of this racist fuck and say, "Meh, let's split hairs about how guilty he is!"

It’s a shrewd political move that’s for sure. The Left will get the most leverage out of this incident if they over charge him, and he walks.

You have to prove intent to kill now. I’m not the one overcharging. I’m also not the one on the jury. Not a single sole was mad about 3rd degree murder. That’s a slam dunk case.

Nobody is mad about second degree murder other than the Blue Lives Matters Assholes.

He had his knee on the guys neck for NINE FUCKING MINUTES. He kept it on there after the guy stopped moving, stopped breathing and was obviously DEAD. If that isn't "intent", I'm not sure what is.

Again, the people would convict him of WITCHCRAFT if that had been charged. Nobody is going to feel all that bad for this racist fuck.

The city council just voted to disband the whole fucking police department, that's how sick of this shit they are.
Mad about risking an acquittal for virtue signaling. Haven’t heard a soul defend this cop.

Im gonna love watching the chaos unfold from disbanding a major city’s PD. Extremely unpopular policy. Go for it left. See how it works out.

Forum List

Back