Elizabeth Warren says $20,000 in student loan debt 'might as well be $20 million' for people who are working at minimum wage

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
So what the heck is Pocahontas saying, people with a college degree can only get minimum wage jobs?

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts said $20,000 in student loan debt "might as well be $20 million" for people working at minimum wage because "they don't have enough extra money to pay it."

So what the heck is Pocahontas saying, people with a college degree can only get minimum wage jobs?

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts said $20,000 in student loan debt "might as well be $20 million" for people working at minimum wage because "they don't have enough extra money to pay it."

If you have that much college debt and you still make minimum wage, you were too stupid to go to college. Why is the government making so many loans to stupid college students?

If they can't work in their chosen degree field, they chose poorly and should go to work in whatever other field has an opening. Truck driving comes to mind, as there is a shortage. If you are continuing in a minimum wage job after borrowing money to go to college, you don't deserve me picking up your tab for the time and money you wasted.

When my daughter turned 21 in 2007, she moved from San Diego to New York City. She had a Bachelors in communications from San Diego State and wanted to try to get an internship at one of the "big three" networks. The first thing she did was set out to find a job. She had plenty of money with her, but she didn't want to have to spend that all on rent, food, etc.

Six months in, she called me and asked what I thought about her moving back home. I said she was more than welcome to, but I was curious as to why. She said "Dad, there are people with master's degrees busing tables." There are no jobs.

Now, of course, the employment climate is very different, but I think the basic premise holds true: A college degree from a good school is one thing. Where you're trying to get a job with that college degree is another. My daughter jumped into the most competitive market on the planet which, sadly, is where everyone else with big dreams jumped, too.

Thankfully, my daughter had no student loans to pay off. We'd set up a college fund when she was born and, by the time she was ready to go to school, there was plenty of money in it for her to do that. If more parents would do that, their kids could go to college without the onus of having to pay back huge college loan bills...

If they can't work in their chosen degree field, they chose poorly and should go to work in whatever other field has an opening. Truck driving comes to mind, as there is a shortage. If you are continuing in a minimum wage job after borrowing money to go to college, you don't deserve me picking up your tab for the time and money you wasted.

My old bass player lives in Missoula, Montana. He works at a bacon factory; Daily's Premium Meats. He makes okay money for where he is. He rents a small three bedroom home for about $900 a month. He e-mailed me the other day asking me what I thought of him considering quitting his job, where he makes just over $20 an hour, and becoming a truck driver. He's divorced and his boys are grown with families of their own. I told him if he thinks it's the right move that he should do it. Lord knows we need truck drivers right now...

When my daughter turned 21 in 2007, she moved from San Diego to New York City. She had a Bachelors in communications from San Diego State and wanted to try to get an internship at one of the "big three" networks. The first thing she did was set out to find a job. She had plenty of money with her, but she didn't want to have to spend that all on rent, food, etc.

Six months in, she called me and asked what I thought about her moving back home. I said she was more than welcome to, but I was curious as to why. She said "Dad, there are people with master's degrees busing tables." There are no jobs.

Now, of course, the employment climate is very different, but I think the basic premise holds true: A college degree from a good school is one thing. Where you're trying to get a job with that college degree is another. My daughter jumped into the most competitive market on the planet which, sadly, is where everyone else with big dreams jumped, too.

Thankfully, my daughter had no student loans to pay off. We'd set up a college fund when she was born and, by the time she was ready to go to school, there was plenty of money in it for her to do that. If more parents would do that, their kids could go to college without the onus of having to pay back huge college loan bills...

More than likely she could have gotten a job easier in a smaller city, but yeah trying to dive into the NYC media market must be tough.

They feel their degree has earned them their way into the "laptop class", i.e. intellectual workers, now mostly working from home still.

I work as a Resident Engineer in construction, so my job has always remained onsite.

in the PO when i was there we had people with Masters Degrees working there....because the PO had better benefits or paid better.....

"the basic premise holds true: A college degree from a good school is one thing. Where you're trying to get a job with that college degree is another."
Truer words have never been posted on this board. I salute your common sense.
Congrats. Your daughter will be fine or already is.

If you vote for Elizabeth Warren, she will pay what ever you ask....maybe...

My old bass player lives in Missoula, Montana. He works at a bacon factory; Daily's Premium Meats. He makes okay money for where he is. He rents a small three bedroom home for about $900 a month. He e-mailed me the other day asking me what I thought of him considering quitting his job, where he makes just over $20 an hour, and becoming a truck driver. He's divorced and his boys are grown with families of their own. I told him if he thinks it's the right move that he should do it. Lord knows we need truck drivers right now...
I've done it for companies I have worked at, at times, just to make sure we didn't run short. Long hours and tiring, but good honest useful work that pays way above minimum or low wage jobs. We treated our drivers well, and they all had annual incomes far in excess of any other factory workers at the plant, even above some salary folk. If somebody at that income level cannot support the lifestyle they want, they should reevaluate their goal and what is important in their life. I have always been one of those "do what is necessary" people, whatever is necessary while looking further down the road.

More than likely she could have gotten a job easier in a smaller city, but yeah trying to dive into the NYC media market must be tough.

Oh, no doubt. But it wouldn't have been the job she wanted.

I've always admired her for taking that chance. She did it early enough in life that it didn't have and lasting ramifications...

"the basic premise holds true: A college degree from a good school is one thing. Where you're trying to get a job with that college degree is another."
Truer words have never been posted on this board. I salute your common sense.
Congrats. Your daughter will be fine or already is.

She is, thank you. She and her fiance are doing very well...

Forum List

Back