Educators for DeVos??

Can educators provide a valid argument for DeVos appointment?

• Total voters
Does she have an education degree? How many years has she spent teaching? How much coaching has she done?

So....running a school requires an education degree? Really? That is all you have? Have you seen these inner city hell holes these children are condemned to attend.......all of those people have the education degrees you want....has that helped save these children?

I don't get why public school teachers are so afraid of charter schools and such.

They offer new employment opportunities, they get paid on merit and they don't have to be forced represented by political leadership they disagree with. Besides .. competition breeds excellence.

They are afraid of being held accountable for not teaching kids........that is the root of it for teachers. The democrat politicians....they want as many teachers as possible....because the teachers launder political money.......the democrat politicians raise the salaries and benefits of teachers, the teachers pay union dues, the unions give money to the democrat politicians......look at donor records to democrat politicians..the teachers unions donate huge amounts of money.....and the cycle continues.....a bad teacher gets a salary based not on quality of performance, but by years of service and how much pointless education they have...the more money they make, the more the union takes, the more the democrats get in donations....

That is why they are afraid of school choice.....it has nothing to do with actually educating children.

Here.....why don't people actually listen to Mrs. DeVos....

I don't get why public school teachers are so afraid of charter schools and such.

They offer new employment opportunities, they get paid on merit and they don't have to be forced represented by political leadership they disagree with. Besides .. competition breeds excellence.
Most people who become public school teachers are not looking for adventure or greater challenges. They are looking for the safety and security provided for them by their unions, which will be less powerful as alternatives to public schools become more available.

Last edited:
Those should be the requirements. But of course the only requirement is contributing to your friends.

The individuals running he D.C., Chicago, and other inner city public schools all have teaching degrees and advanced degrees in Education......and they are destroying the lives of children....

Allowing Parents to have control over where their children go to school......how is that a bad thing? and both elizabeth warren, liberal hero, and Betsy DeVos believe in school vouchers as a way to fix public education.

Can anyone explain why school vouchers are a bad idea......since they work at the college level? And competition improves every other aspect of life......

Can anyone against DeVos explain why....as a parent, I should be forced to send my child to a school that cannot teach my child....simply because that is the school in my neighborhood.......? And if the public is expected to pay for the education of my child...which all of you left wingers expect....why should I be forced to use that money to go to a school that is not actually educating my child, and may in fact endanger the safety of my child because of violence, drugs and crime...simply because I live in one school district? Care to explain that?

Why can't I just send my kid one or two towns over to another school that actually is safe, and educates children? Why is that a problem?

Can you explain that? And why is it that DeVos needs an education degree to make that happen?

I find it hard to believe that this lady is equipped to handle this job. She never taught or was part of school administration that would prove that education is difficult and we are going down the wrong path. There are good and unworthy Charter Schools. We cannot go whole hog one one idea and throw out possible solutions that would precipitate answers that would aid in the raising of standards in our schools.

I felt the same way about many Obama picks over the last 8 years but, as President Obama duly noted, "Elections have Consequences". I am not even going to begin to try and sell you on Devos but that display yesterday in DC by angry Leftists blocking her from entering Jefferson Middle School was wrong. The only thing that accomplished is that it is another data point that will keep the American voters who voted for Trump further motivated to keep the angry and entitled out.

As an educator I have yet to hear any valid argument (based on facts or science) that DeVos is a good choice. Any teachers out there pro- DeVos? Please tell me why.
Public school teachers, with a few exceptions, are only interested in what best serves their interests and DeVos is interested in what best serves the interests of the children, so naturally, "educators" are opposed to her.
You believe teachers are being selfish? Who becomes a teacher for selfish reasons? It is one of the most time demanding and stressful professions there are. I can't believe people agree with you also. However, I digress...How does she know what will best serve All children? Please provide me with evidence of any kind.

They offer new employment opportunities, they get paid on merit and they don't have to be force represented by political leadership they disagree with. Besides .. competition breeds excellence.
To name just a couple reasons..They open doors for deeper segregation. A few may have a decent facility but many have been conducted in mobile trailers or pods. They are overall not successful. There are actually less jobs and lower educational training among professionals/teachers. Competition can breed excellence but there are other options. I challenge everyone to a collaborative effort to come up with a whole new system.

Does she have an education degree? How many years has she spent teaching? How much coaching has she done?

So....running a school requires an education degree? Really? That is all you have? Have you seen these inner city hell holes these children are condemned to attend.......all of those people have the education degrees you want....has that helped save these children?
It sounds like you have issues with unions. Despite what you may believe this post (at least) is not about unions. It's obvious credentials don't matter to her supporters, I feel that point is mute.
However, I also have children. I want the schools closest to me to be the best they can be. Not only for my children but for the community they will grow up in. Schools do more for society than filter money and teach kids their ABCs. They are a social stimulus that keeps communities and ultimately society with an entertainment outlet, networking opportunity and thus deters crime, keeps children fed... Etc etc

It sounds like you have issues with unions. Despite what you may believe this post (at least) is not about unions. It's obvious credentials don't matter to her supporters, I feel that point is mute.
However, I also have children. I want the schools closest to me to be the best they can be. Not only for my children but for the community they will grow up in. Schools do more for society than filter money and teach kids their ABCs. They are a social stimulus that keeps communities and ultimately society with an entertainment outlet, networking opportunity and thus deters crime, keeps children fed... Etc etc

No....you are limiting credentials very narrowly. You think an education degree is necessary to run a federal organization....when we show you over and over that people with education degrees, and advanced degrees from Masters degrees to Ph.Ds in Education are just as capable of destroying a cities education system.........the inner city schools that cannot keep children safe, let alone educate them in math and reading...are all run by the very people you think are superior to Betsy DeVos....so it is obvious credentials in education don't correlate to success at educating children.

Betsy DeVos has devoted her life to helping poor children get an education......she has put her money where her beliefs are and has put her time where her beliefs are.....

Schools in our inner cities are doing none of the things you say that schools do...they are dangerous and are not educating children.

Why don't you support allowing parents to control where they send their kids to school....? That is the obvious way to get everything you say you want out of a school......parents who send their kids to good schools one or two towns over, or to a new, non public school that gets started because of vouchers will be just as committed to the opportunities you say you want...and the side benefit...their children will be safe from gang violence and will actually be educated......

They offer new employment opportunities, they get paid on merit and they don't have to be force represented by political leadership they disagree with. Besides .. competition breeds excellence.
To name just a couple reasons..They open doors for deeper segregation. A few may have a decent facility but many have been conducted in mobile trailers or pods. They are overall not successful. There are actually less jobs and lower educational training among professionals/teachers. Competition can breed excellence but there are other options. I challenge everyone to a collaborative effort to come up with a whole new system.

Vouchers solves this problem as well.....which Betsy DeVos supports. If the public school in the neighborhood sucks, then someone can come in and open another school that will actually educate children.

The reason charter schools have issues....they are still under control of the public school bureaucracy and they are intentionlly handicapped by those same people who try to undermine them to show they won't work.

The whole new system? It is called School Vouchers.......and new systems will be created because the education dollars will not be trapped in bad schools, but will be under the control of the customer....just like every other product that has become better and less expensive through competition.

You could have good teachers........teachers who may have decided to stop being teachers because of the hell holes of schools they have had to deal with..... getting together starting their own, brand new school....according to their standards of actually educating children....and you see stories like this all the time.....but with vouchers, this will become more common and will actually have a chance to educate more kids.........those educational professionals who actually care and who know how to inspire and educate kids...will actually have a reason to keep doing it...without having to be worried about violence and an educational bureaucracy dedicated to maintaining itself over educating children.

All teachers devote their time, their money (which is very limited) to help poor children get an education. Why do their sacrifices equal selfishness but you seem DeVos as a champion? Also violence in schools stems from the home, mental and social environment (not to mention access to weapons) the child is engrained in and has little to do with schools. Also you do already have options! You could start your own charter school if you wish. Send your kids wherever you like.

You could have good teachers........teachers who may have decided to stop being teachers because of the hell holes of schools they have had to deal with..... getting together starting their own, brand new school....according to their standards of actually educating children....and you see stories like this all the time.....but with vouchers, this will become more common and will actually have a chance to educate more kids.........those educational professionals who actually care and who know how to inspire and educate kids...will actually have a reason to keep doing it...without having to be worried about violence and an educational bureaucracy dedicated to maintaining itself over educating children.
I agree and I am anxious for a new system. However, It has to be effective and efficient for the majority of society and the purposed system has too many flaws to make all that and equality a reality.

I agree and I am anxious for a new system. However, It has to be effective and efficient for the majority of society and the purposed system has too many flaws to make all that and equality a reality.

Ah...no...the proposed system will actually work...give parents the choice and the money....and the problems will be fixed. It is amazing how freedom and money to spend gets people to fill your needs....versus being stuck in a bad school only because you live in that neighborhood and can't go to another school in another neighborhood.....

If she has a few years of teaching experience yes. Otherwise no. That should be a requirement. Go in, give up a good salary, and teach tnbe slowest of the slow and behaviorally disabled for a free years. Until then, you are clueless. But this is no different than any other administration. Unless you have been in the trenches you have no clue. My wife was and my daughter is. Let's just say the american families are dysfunctional....
I hear pretty much the same. I'm always struck by the difference of what I hear from inner city teachers versus those in more affluent systems. They seem to agree that it isn't about money, it's about parenting. A friends wife taught in a rough part of Cleveland for 20+ years. She speaks of the changes over her years. One of her last classes, she's now retired, had 26 kids, 21 from single parent homes. That was when she said she'd had enough and retired the next year. According to her you can't teach these kids, period. Those in more affluent areas adore their kids and love their jobs.

Forum List

Back