Does the Average Person Need to Wear a Mask to Guard Against COVID-19?

I wear a mask when I go inside anywhere. If I'm going to be there more than 5 minutes I use my N95 mask.

Folks are making a big deal about wearing a mask...I'll ask you...what's the harm?

Many places I go I must wear a hardhat, safety glasses, steel toed boots and I hi-viz vest. The chance I'll need them are very low...I've done this for 20 years and have never had anything fall on my head, foot or fly into my eye. But what's the harm in added protection? Nothing.
What's the harm?....Being forced into conformity by people who only a few weeks ago told us that masks weren't necessary.

Are you a free thinking human individual, or a piece of meat to be controlled by your betters?
If it does me no harm and may actually help...as a logical free thinker I calculate a quick cost/benefit analysis and conclude I should wear a mask.

A side effect is masks defeat facial recognition.

I wear a mask when I go inside anywhere. If I'm going to be there more than 5 minutes I use my N95 mask.

Folks are making a big deal about wearing a mask...I'll ask you...what's the harm?

Many places I go I must wear a hardhat, safety glasses, steel toed boots and I hi-viz vest. The chance I'll need them are very low...I've done this for 20 years and have never had anything fall on my head, foot or fly into my eye. But what's the harm in added protection? Nothing.
What's the harm?....Being forced into conformity by people who only a few weeks ago told us that masks weren't necessary.

Are you a free thinking human individual, or a ngpiece of meat to be controlled by your betters?
Adults have their pacifiers too. They FEEL BETTER wearing that stuff

Are you a free thinking human individual, or a piece of meat to be controlled by your betters?
If it does me no harm and may actually help...as a logical free thinker I calculate a quick cost/benefit analysis and conclude I should wear a mask.

"May" actually help?!?....According to whom?....The "experts" whose models haven't been right and who have moved the goalposts at every turn?

I'll ask you the same question; if "the experts" told you to wear your underpants over your jeans, would you just go ahead and do it because "it may actually help"?

^this is retahded.

yes. a mask helps limit the spread. wear it.
Odd....I'm old enough to remember back a whole 10 weeks ago, when St. Fauci told us that not only were masks unnecessary, but that the general population wearing them would be depriving medical personnel form desperately needed equipment.

I bet if "the experts" told you to wear your underwear over your pants, you'd just go ahead and do that without a thought in your head.
that was about the professional masks. this still applies. seriously, this is not hard to understand at all. but please don't stop licking trump's balls while accusing anyone else of licking boots. it is highly entertainig, fraudball.

^this is retahded.

Odd....I'm old enough to remember back a whole 10 weeks ago, when St. Fauci told us that not only were masks unnecessary, but that the general population wearing them would be depriving medical personnel form desperately needed equipment.

I bet if "the experts" told you to wear your underwear over your pants, you'd just go ahead and do that without a thought in your head.
that was about the professional masks. this still applies. seriously, this is not hard to understand at all. but please don't stop licking trump's balls while accusing anyone else of licking boots. it is highly entertainig, fraudball.
I'll score that a yes....You'd be stupid enough to wear your underpants on the outside.

Thank you.....NEXT!

Only the sick should wear masks to stop them from spreading their germs. Masks offer no benefit to the healthy
Oh silly one, the mask is to prevent those who have the virus, but are asymptomatic, and don't know they have the virus, from spreading it as rapidly.

Instead of spewing the virus 10 ft with a sneeze, with mask it might be only 2 ft.

If we had a magnitude of tests available, we could identify those with the virus, that have no symptoms and isolate them....

But, we don't.

So wearing a mask is a bandaid remedy....it won't completely stop the bleeding, but the blood will be contained in the bandaid bandage.....it's not perfect, an overflow of blood could occur, just as someone else really close to the infected person, may still get it...., but they may not....especially if they are wearing a mask too..... without a mask, they would be assured to get it.... And then they would pass it on to another 3 people.....And those 3, to another 3 each...etc etc..... if the spread is reduced to infecting just one other person instead of three, the virus can come close to being eradicated....

This is how a vaccine works....reducing the numbers of infections spread....

It's how community immunity, sometimes called herd immunity works to protect the population who hasn't gotten a vaccine....

Helping.jpg

What harm does it do to put on your ski mask and gloves before going to the liquor store or walmart? The purpose isn't your own health, but the mental health of your fellow customers.

The Corona Panic is very prevalent, and if they see you without a mask come within 6 feet, they will think they are doomed to die of the virus. By remember to don the ski mask and gloves, you may be saving them a late night visit to the ER after they are overcome with germophobia.

Only if you are infected, if not it does nothing

I don't believe that.

I have N95 masks because the hoods of my trucks are made of fiberglass...sometimes they get hit, or just crack from wear. When repairing fiberglass it is imperative to keep the dust out of your lungs...hence the N95 masks.

So I always wear the mask...to procect me from fiberglass dust...not to protect the fiberglass from me.

The available evidence indicates that for the average person masks offer no meaningful increase in protection against catching COVID-19, but that they do somewhat reduce the amount of infected droplets that an infected person can spread with their breath.

Since the vast majority of people who catch COVID-19 have no symptoms or only mild symptoms, most folks will not know they have the virus. But does this mean everyone should wear a mask? No.

If I were in the medical field and worked with/around COVID-19 patients, I would wear a mask, and I would hope that my hospital/clinic would require all patients to wear a mask. But the average person gains no meaningful benefit from wearing a mask, especially if they are outdoors, according to the available evidence.

Heather MacDonald comments on the silliness of people who wear masks while riding bikes outdoors:

The masked cyclists, who speed around the park’s inner road, apparently think that there are enough virus particles suspended in the billions of square feet of fresh air circulating across the park to enter their mucous membranes and to sicken them.

MacDonald's discusses the fact that science tells us it is virtually impossible to catch a virus like COVID-19 outdoors:

It is worth briefly reviewing the facts about outdoor viral transmission in order to assess the rationality of New York’s park users. The chance of getting infected across a wide open, windswept space is virtually nil, even if the imaginary carrier were not moving quickly past his potential victim. When it comes to viral infections, dose matters. Proximity to the carrier, prolonged exposure, and being in an enclosed space are the biggest risk factors. Even the New York Times, one of the most aggressive purveyors of virus hysteria, could not avoid acknowledging this commonsensical truth about outdoor transmission. The director of Australia’s International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health told the paper: ‘Outdoors is safe, and there is certainly no cloud of virus-laden droplets hanging around.’ Infectious droplets would be quickly diluted in outdoor air, director Lidia Morawska said, so their concentrations would quickly become insignificant. Bottom line: ‘It is safe to go for a walk and jog and not to worry about the virus in the air.’

The runner or bike rider, breaths a lot harder, they ran experiments showing it can be spewed as far as 6 to 10 feet, and linger in the air for 10 minutes, at an infectious state for others in the area to catch it.

Only if you are infected, if not it does nothing

I don't believe that.

I have N95 masks because the hoods of my trucks are made of fiberglass...sometimes they get hit, or just crack from wear. When repairing fiberglass it is imperative to keep the dust out of your lungs...hence the N95 masks.

So I always wear the mask...to procect me from fiberglass dust...not to protect the fiberglass from me.
but that is the N95 mask, you know the one they powers to be told us not to wear since we did not want to deprive the first responders and medical personnel of the good masks

^this is retahded.

Stupid analogy.

The fact is, wearing a mask reduces the number of droplets of moisture spread everytime you exhale or, more especially, when you sneeze or cough. It is well documented that a person infected with the virus may be contagious for up to 10 days before they show any symptoms. So wearing a mask helps prevent the spread.

I'm not sure why some people think it is so horrific that someone would want to take such a small, simple step to help insure others do not get this virus.

"May" actually help?!?....According to whom?....The "experts" whose models haven't been right and who have moved the goalposts at every turn?

I'll ask you the same question; if "the experts" told you to wear your underpants over your jeans, would you just go ahead and do it because "it may actually help"?
See above...I use N95 masks all the time. Don't need an "expert" to tell me that masks works. I've been using them for 20 years.

You are mistaking your stubbornness for free thinking. No one can tell you what to do. That's not a knock...just my opinion.

The available evidence indicates that for the average person masks offer no meaningful increase in protection against catching COVID-19, but that they do somewhat reduce the amount of infected droplets that an infected person can spread with their breath.

Since the vast majority of people who catch COVID-19 have no symptoms or only mild symptoms, most folks will not know they have the virus. But does this mean everyone should wear a mask? No.

If I were in the medical field and worked with/around COVID-19 patients, I would wear a mask, and I would hope that my hospital/clinic would require all patients to wear a mask. But the average person gains no meaningful benefit from wearing a mask, especially if they are outdoors, according to the available evidence.

Heather MacDonald comments on the silliness of people who wear masks while riding bikes outdoors:

The masked cyclists, who speed around the park’s inner road, apparently think that there are enough virus particles suspended in the billions of square feet of fresh air circulating across the park to enter their mucous membranes and to sicken them.

MacDonald's discusses the fact that science tells us it is virtually impossible to catch a virus like COVID-19 outdoors:

It is worth briefly reviewing the facts about outdoor viral transmission in order to assess the rationality of New York’s park users. The chance of getting infected across a wide open, windswept space is virtually nil, even if the imaginary carrier were not moving quickly past his potential victim. When it comes to viral infections, dose matters. Proximity to the carrier, prolonged exposure, and being in an enclosed space are the biggest risk factors. Even the New York Times, one of the most aggressive purveyors of virus hysteria, could not avoid acknowledging this commonsensical truth about outdoor transmission. The director of Australia’s International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health told the paper: ‘Outdoors is safe, and there is certainly no cloud of virus-laden droplets hanging around.’ Infectious droplets would be quickly diluted in outdoor air, director Lidia Morawska said, so their concentrations would quickly become insignificant. Bottom line: ‘It is safe to go for a walk and jog and not to worry about the virus in the air.’

Think about the difference between 'catching' andm'spreading'.

Ima tell you what, after reading the Op and his professional medical advice, I'm gonna go for it!

Forum List

Back