Does Christianity justify racism?

the argument completely overlooks the fact that Jesus' teaching contradicted the Jewish belief that the Samaritans were no better than dogs and announced that his salvation was for the Samaritans as well as the Jews......

As is the common thread throughout the Bible, from the first book of genesis to the last book of revelation, people are compared to animals according to their displayed attributes. Everything from talking serpents and donkeys, to swine, sheep, wolves, dogs, vultures, maggots, parasites, bottom feeders, worms, angels and demons, the living and the dead., etc., are all figurative descriptions that reflect the heights and depths of human potential and their flesh, figurative for teaching whether clean or unclean, is the subject of kosher law. (which has nothing whatever to do with racism or being Jewish or Gentile).

The teaching conveyed in this story is that those who might be considered to be the unclean dogs of the world can demonstrate more faith than even the ones who profess to be more highly evolved but who are, in the kingdom of God, just deceitful and pretentious low-life's..... talking serpents.

Perhaps it is faith that can be a uniting factor.

the argument completely overlooks the fact that Jesus' teaching contradicted the Jewish belief that the Samaritans were no better than dogs and announced that his salvation was for the Samaritans as well as the Jews......

Yes. In the story of the Canaanite women, there is yet another confirmation that, ultimately, Christ's message is also for Gentiles.

As is the common thread throughout the Bible, from the first book of genesis to the last book of revelation, people are compared to animals according to their displayed attributes. Everything from talking serpents and donkeys, to swine, sheep, wolves, dogs, vultures, maggots, parasites, bottom feeders, worms, angels and demons, the living and the dead., etc., are all figurative descriptions that reflect the heights and depths of human potential and their flesh, figurative for teaching whether clean or unclean, is the subject of kosher law. (which has nothing whatever to do with racism or being Jewish or Gentile).

The teaching conveyed in this story is that those who might be considered to be the unclean dogs of the world can demonstrate more faith than even the ones who profess to be more highly evolved but who are, in the kingdom of God, just deceitful and pretentious low-life's..... talking serpents.

Perhaps it is faith that can be a uniting factor.

If that were true then peace would have been established on earth long ago. For as long as people perpetuate beliefs that are diametrically opposed, not to mention false, people of differing religions will always be at enmity with one another.

How can faith in the belief that Jesus is God ever be reconciled with faith in the belief that there is no God but Allah?

How can people who have faith in the belief that Mohammed was the last and greatest prophet ever be reconciled with those who have faith in the belief that the Moshiach has not yet come?

Unity and a better tomorrow will only come when everyone has the faith to acknowledge that, as of today, every religion is false and based on lies inherited from the confusion and ignorance of the past.

Last edited:
If that were true then peace would have been established on earth long ago. For as long as people perpetuate beliefs that are diametrically opposed, not to mention false, people of differing religions will always be at enmity with one another.

The reason Jesus' teachings strike a chord in me is that he addresses individuals about how to bring peace and love into their own lives--not how to establish peace on earth.

In my own life, there has been peace and good will between me and people of other Christian denominations, with Jews, Muslims, a Hindu, Buddhist, and many atheists.

How many people do you think have peace within their own lives, and like me, are happy to meet people of any faith--or no faith? I don't think I am that much of an anomaly. The earth may not be able to have peace, but all the same, I live in peace.

How can faith in the belief that Jesus is God ever be reconciled with faith in the belief that there is no God but Allah?

How can people who have faith in the belief that Mohammed was the last and greatest prophet ever be reconciled with those who have faith in the belief that the Moshiach has not yet come?

I believe there is One God--and that people perceive Him in various ways. I don't know the answer to your final question.

Unity and a better tomorrow will only come when everyone has the faith to acknowledge that, as of today, every religion is false and based on lies inherited from the confusion and ignorance of the past.

There can be no unity. It is not religion that divides, it is power, wealth, and greed. Perhaps that is why peace is limited to people God favors (Luke 2:14). Sometimes I hear this said, "Peace to people of good will..." But then, God's favor tends to rest on people of good will, wouldn't you say?

The reason Jesus' teachings strike a chord in me is that he addresses individuals about how to bring peace and love into their own lives--not how to establish peace on earth.

In my own life, there has been peace and good will between me and people of other Christian denominations, with Jews, Muslims, a Hindu, Buddhist, and many atheists.

How many people do you think have peace within their own lives, and like me, are happy to meet people of any faith--or no faith? I don't think I am that much of an anomaly. The earth may not be able to have peace, but all the same, I live in peace.

Don't be silly. What does being happy to meet people of other faiths have to do with the fact that diametrically opposed faiths can never be a unifying force and any friendly interactions with people who your faith teaches are hell bound can only be superficial at best. I know many people who are capable of smiling in other peoples faces while secretly loathing them at the same time. Avoiding points of contention with people of other faiths is hardly an expression of good will or a demonstration of living in peace.

I believe there is One God--and that people perceive Him in various ways. I don't know the answer to your final question.

So what if there is only one God and people perceive him in different ways. If there is only one God then it can't be both Allah and Jesus. I think it is safe to say that both Moslems and Jews will never accept your faith in the belief that Jesus is God and it is just as likely that the Jewish people will never accept Mohammed as anything other than a false prophet and that you will never accept Moahmmed as the last prophet while you are still awaiting the return of Jesus.

How can faith ever be a uniting force when it is faith that divides?

There can be no unity. It is not religion that divides, it is power, wealth, and greed. Perhaps that is why peace is limited to people God favors (Luke 2:14). Sometimes I hear this said, "Peace to people of good will..." But then, God's favor tends to rest on people of good will, wouldn't you say?

What else is religion about if not power wealth and greed? If it wasn't then why are preachers of every religion always grubbing money or jockeying for positions of authority and power to enact laws and customs that favor their views and punish unbelievers? And what if not religion is at the root of every division between people on every side of every issue that society is currently facing?

I'm glad that you have found peace but to me it looks like you are just a prisoner of pretense in solitary confinement who has found a small measure of comfort in his tiny little cell...

Remember? You have set aside the laws of God and worship a lifeless matzo made by human hands and eat it for spiritual life and teach others to do the same which amounts to the intentional sin of murder.

If scripture is true, such irrational religious beliefs and degrading religious practices and intentionally misleading others to their destruction can never result in peace.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. What does being happy to meet people of other faiths have to do with the fact that diametrically opposed faiths can never be a unifying force and any friendly interactions with people who your faith teaches are hell bound can only be superficial at best. I know many people who are capable of smiling in other peoples faces while secretly loathing them at the same time. Avoiding points of contention with people of other faiths is hardly an expression of good will or a demonstration of living in peace.

It's not being "happy to meet people". I was speaking of people who were a part of my life. For example, the Hindu was a former student of mine, and then later my daughter's college roommate.

Second, Catholicism doesn't teach anyone being "hell bound." The teaching is that mortal sin (defined as knowing full well one is sinning against God and rejecting Him and His ways) leaves on in danger of hell. Catholic philosophy is more or less, God sends no one to hell--people choose to go there. God is not going to force those who hate Him and reject Him into his kingdom. Nor do Catholics define hell as fire and brimstone--but as a complete absence of God. (And Catholics are the largest denomination of Christians, so that makes quite a lot of Christians who are thinking others are bound for hell.)

As far as avoiding contention on points of faith...grin. I come from an extended family of Catholics, Protestants, and atheists. We felt comfortable discussing both politics and religion--sometimes even at dinner!

You are picturing me as nodding at people of other faiths. I was speaking of family and dear friends who are (or were) a living, breathing part of my life.

So what if there is only one God and people perceive him in different ways. If there is only one God then it can't be both Allah and Jesus. I think it is safe to say that both Moslems and Jews will never accept your faith in the belief that Jesus is God and it is just as likely that the Jewish people will never accept Mohammed as anything other than a false prophet and that you will never accept Moahmmed as the last prophet while you are still awaiting the return of Jesus.

How can faith ever be a uniting force when it is faith that divides?

Faith can be a uniting force when we focus on common truths about God. God loves us. God wants us to have full and abundant lives. God wants us to be with Him. God asks that we love one another.

As I pointed out in my prior post, individually it not hard to embrace people with differing beliefs. Love of God, love of our fellowman is a uniting factor.

Of course not. Christianity does not promote racism at all. You do not understand the context of why Jesus said this. The woman who came to him was a Baal Worshiper. She worshiped Baal - in the region of Tyre and Sidon in that day if you didn't worship Baal you'd be killed. She didn't have a choice in the matter - furthermore, the Jews were surely amazed that Jesus went there! This wasn't a place the Jews would go near as the Jews feared the LORD and would not mingle with Baal worshipers.

Dogs - would have been another word for the wicked. Look at Revelation 21:14,15

it is written:

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

-Revelation 21: 14, 15

It had nothing to do with racism. God loves you. He didn't send Jesus into the world to condemn you but rather to save you! Read Romans 10:9,10. Its Good news! What Jesus did for that Baal worshiping woman - because of her faith - and her willingness to use her faith to believe on him rather than a baal god who could do nothing for her daughter - she received her answer and Jesus had mercy upon her! What He did for her? He will do for you today. Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. Call upon the name of the LORD and be saved today. Today is the day of salvation. TODAY.
From the hypocrite who is trying to create a narrative that all blacks are muslims.killers. She perverts the word just as the OP.

What else is religion about if not power wealth and greed? If it wasn't then why are preachers of every religion always grubbing money or jockeying for positions of authority and power to enact laws and customs that favor their views and punish unbelievers? And what if not religion is at the root of every division between people on every side of every issue that society is currently facing?

Food, shelter, clothing, spirituality, sex are all bound up on what people seek and/or need. Therefore greedy people are going to exploit people based on their wants and needs. Not all priests, rabbis, and ministers are grubbing for money or jockeying for positions of authority. They are the ones that make the news, because that sells news stories for people who may also be...greedy for power or wealth.

It is too bad there cannot be one branch of humanity that no one preys upon, but such is not the case. We are prey for the greedy, powerful, and wealthy--but that doesn't mean we can't elude the greedy, powerful, and wealthy by being as wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

I'm glad that you have found peace but to me it looks like you are just a prisoner of pretense in solitary confinement who has found a small measure of comfort in his tiny little cell...

Grin. It's a small world after all. (It's a world of laughter a world of tears...)

Remember? You have set aside the laws of God and worship a lifeless matzo made by human hands and eat it for spiritual life and teach others to do the same which amounts to the intentional sin of murder.

If scripture is true, such irrational religious beliefs and degrading religious practices and intentionally misleading others to their destruction can never result in peace.

I embrace Christ, his words, his ways, his promises. When he says, "Take, and eat...This is my body...This is my blood...Do this..." I trust in his ways. I remember, I celebrate, I believe. And I am at peace. :wink:

In what way is this story an analogy?

That is my interpretation of the quote. Jesus always spoke in parables or analogies to non disciples.

That was kinda dumb, even his hired help couldn't understand his parables.

I'm trying to remember a time when the disciples were given a parable or analogy and did not get the moral behind it. Drawing a blank, though. All of Christ's stories and analogies were pretty simple and based on what amounted to "pop culture" of that time. WE have trouble understanding them, perhaps, since we're not immersed in that particular culture, but I don't recall anyone in the Bible going, "Huh?"

Of course not. Christianity does not promote racism at all. You do not understand the context of why Jesus said this. The woman who came to him was a Baal Worshiper. She worshiped Baal - in the region of Tyre and Sidon in that day if you didn't worship Baal you'd be killed. She didn't have a choice in the matter - furthermore, the Jews were surely amazed that Jesus went there! This wasn't a place the Jews would go near as the Jews feared the LORD and would not mingle with Baal worshipers.
Dogs - would have been another word for the wicked. Look at Revelation 21:14,15
it is written:
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
-Revelation 21: 14, 15
It had nothing to do with racism. God loves you. He didn't send Jesus into the world to condemn you but rather to save you! Read Romans 10:9,10. Its Good news! What Jesus did for that Baal worshiping woman - because of her faith - and her willingness to use her faith to believe on him rather than a baal god who could do nothing for her daughter - she received her answer and Jesus had mercy upon her! What He did for her? He will do for you today. Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. Call upon the name of the LORD and be saved today. Today is the day of salvation. TODAY.

I didn't read all of your post but if what you are saying is true ("she was a Baal worshipper,") WHY DID SHE FIRST CALL JESUS "LORD" AND HE STILL CALLED HER A DOG?

Someone is lying.
Where does Jesus call her a dog?

Moses, Noah, Solomon and David all married outside of their race.

No, Jesus really was comparing her people, and Gentiles in general, to pet dogs, as opposed to the Jews in the role of the children. Viewing it as a horrible, hateful attack, though, is based on modern-day sensibilities, not those in play during His time.

Hi,

I read this Scriptures from the New Testament and I wondered do they mean that Christianity justifies racism (in the Scriptures Jesus refers to people of certain races as "dogs:")

"(21)Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. (22)And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23)But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (24)But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (25)Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (26)But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. (27)And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. (28)Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." Matt. 15:21-28

"(24)And from thence he arose, and went into the borders of Tyre and Sidon, and entered into an house, and would have no man know it: but he could not be hid. (25) For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet: (26)The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter. (27)But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs. (28)And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs. (29)And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter. (30)And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed." Mark 7:24-30

Do these Scriptures mean that Christianity justify racism?...

If either Judaism or Christianity justifies racism then it's the superiority of middle-eastern people, and not white people. ;)

Racially speaking, Middle Easterners ARE "white people".

The dogs were the Gentiles. They worshiped idols. Christ came to salvage the Jews who relied on the God of Abraham. It was the faith of the Gentiles He met that caused Him to graft Gentile believers into the Jewish line.
It had 0 to do with race and everything to do with faith. In God. His food was meant for the Jews, not nonbelievers. But nonbelievers started to be edified from the food Christ was serving to the children of Abraham. So a loving Jesus started feeding them too.
The exact same analogy can be applied today to nonbelievers. It is all about the bread of life and those who are hungry for it regardless of race, as opposed to those who are not.
That Christ died so that every man could eat, is proof that race had no bearing on the love that Christ has for us all.

Last edited:
Hi,

I read this Scriptures from the New Testament and I wondered do they mean that Christianity justifies racism (in the Scriptures Jesus refers to people of certain races as "dogs:")

"(21)Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. (22)And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23)But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (24)But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (25)Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (26)But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. (27)And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. (28)Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." Matt. 15:21-28

"(24)And from thence he arose, and went into the borders of Tyre and Sidon, and entered into an house, and would have no man know it: but he could not be hid. (25) For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet: (26)The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter. (27)But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs. (28)And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs. (29)And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter. (30)And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed." Mark 7:24-30

Do these Scriptures mean that Christianity justify racism?...
NO not at all

Glad you asked, and especially glad you made a point of being so nasty about it in your mistaken assumption that I wouldn't be able to produce. This way, once I'm done, we'll all know that you have therefore admitted to being the liar making things up. :D

In John 6, we are told about Jesus feeding the five thousand.

When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?

6 And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do.

How is that a stumblingblock (insulting someone (calling someone(s) "dogs?")) Do you have an example of a "stumblingblock" as you claimed?

No, we can all see that YOU are the liar.

You speak as someone who has only a passing knowledge of Biblical Scripture and picks pieces and parts solely to try to trip up Christians. I expect this response to have precisely zero impact on your future postings, for the reason Jesus gives.

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

In what way is this story an analogy?

That is my interpretation of the quote. Jesus always spoke in parables or analogies to non disciples.

That was kinda dumb, even his hired help couldn't understand his parables.

I'm trying to remember a time when the disciples were given a parable or analogy and did not get the moral behind it. Drawing a blank, though. All of Christ's stories and analogies were pretty simple and based on what amounted to "pop culture" of that time. WE have trouble understanding them, perhaps, since we're not immersed in that particular culture, but I don't recall anyone in the Bible going, "Huh?"

Mark 4

10 And when He was alone, those who were about Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable.

11 And He said unto them, “Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the Kingdom of God; but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables,

12 that, ‘seeing they may see, and not perceive, and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted and their sins should be forgiven them.’”

13 And He said unto them, “Know you not this parable? And how then will ye know all parables?

Mark 4 - The Parable of the Sower - Again Jesus - Bible Gateway

Does it make sense to speak in parables when your own hired help doesn't understand them? Why not just say what you mean?

Forum List

Back