Does Christianity justify racism?

What a bizarre thread. Kudos to Merriweather and others for trying to deal with the OP. You are far kinder than I would be.

No, I pointed out that you used a scripture passage that was talking about preventing people from becoming Christians unless they became circumcised or followed a particular diet.

This is different from testing to see if someone has faith in Christ--or merely wants to make an easy living off Christians.

Oh, so you're saying that Jesus was lying when he called her a dog? So Jesus lies now?

No, I pointed out that you used a scripture passage that was talking about preventing people from becoming Christians unless they became circumcised or followed a particular diet.

This is different from testing to see if someone has faith in Christ--or merely wants to make an easy living off Christians.

Oh, so you're saying that Jesus was lying when he called her a dog? So Jesus lies now?

If you want to get that technical, Jesus didn't call her anything at all. He made a comment: It is not right to take children's food and throw it to the dogs. Christ had made similar comments: Do not throw pearls before swine, is one example. Are people literally dogs? Are they literally swine? What about him calling Jews, "lost sheep." Is that what you mean by Jesus lied? Clearly people are not dogs, swine, or sheep. (A side note: Speak to any shepherd, and they are likely to agree that sheep are more stupid than dogs or swine.)

You seem convinced by the story that Jesus was about insulting people--calling them names--and not about teaching and building up the faith people possessed. Each Bible story has a moral a teaching. The way I read it is faith recognizes no boundaries, overcomes all obstacles.

In your version, what is the moral the story teaches? I understand you want to show Jesus in a bad light, but I am not speaking of your intent, but the author of the story's intent. What teaching did the author wish to convey by relating this story?

Of course not. Christianity does not promote racism at all. You do not understand the context of why Jesus said this. The woman who came to him was a Baal Worshiper. She worshiped Baal - in the region of Tyre and Sidon in that day if you didn't worship Baal you'd be killed. She didn't have a choice in the matter - furthermore, the Jews were surely amazed that Jesus went there! This wasn't a place the Jews would go near as the Jews feared the LORD and would not mingle with Baal worshipers.
Dogs - would have been another word for the wicked. Look at Revelation 21:14,15
it is written:
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
-Revelation 21: 14, 15
It had nothing to do with racism. God loves you. He didn't send Jesus into the world to condemn you but rather to save you! Read Romans 10:9,10. Its Good news! What Jesus did for that Baal worshiping woman - because of her faith - and her willingness to use her faith to believe on him rather than a baal god who could do nothing for her daughter - she received her answer and Jesus had mercy upon her! What He did for her? He will do for you today. Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. Call upon the name of the LORD and be saved today. Today is the day of salvation. TODAY.

I didn't read all of your post but if what you are saying is true ("she was a Baal worshipper,") WHY DID SHE FIRST CALL JESUS "LORD" AND HE STILL CALLED HER A DOG?

Someone is lying.
Where does Jesus call her a dog?

Moses, Noah, Solomon and David all married outside of their race.

If you want to get that technical, Jesus didn't call her anything at all. He made a comment: It is not right to take children's food and throw it to the dogs. Christ had made similar comments: Do not throw pearls before swine, is one example. Are people literally dogs? Are they literally swine? What about him calling Jews, "lost sheep." Is that what you mean by Jesus lied? Clearly people are not dogs, swine, or sheep. (A side note: Speak to any shepherd, and they are likely to agree that sheep are more stupid than dogs or swine.)

You seem convinced by the story that Jesus was about insulting people--calling them names--and not about teaching and building up the faith people possessed. Each Bible story has a moral a teaching. The way I read it is faith recognizes no boundaries, overcomes all obstacles.

In your version, what is the moral the story teaches? I understand you want to show Jesus in a bad light, but I am not speaking of your intent, but the author of the story's intent. What teaching did the author wish to convey by relating this story?

Lol now, you're just playing games.

Grin. Well, you set up the board, and I do enjoy a good game!

Troll Hunter.

It's one of the most popular MMORPG in the world.

Those stories are kind of serious though.

In reading any story, whether it be the Bible or Edgar Allen Poe, we need to consider the author's intent and the author's intended (or hoped for) audience. We need to consider the moral or the theme of the story.

Stepping this up to an Internet Poster, what was the intent of the Poster, who was the audience his post was directed towards? Wasn't the intent to taunt Christians by using an analogy, selected by Christ two thousand years ago, against Christians of today by slinging politically correct muck of today? ("Racist!")

I do agree the stories are serious--serious enough for people to at least attempt to understand their original intent and purpose. Do you remember the setting of the story? Jesus was in Canaanite territory, indicating he was the minority race or creed, and was probably being treated as such. He apparently didn't even deserve the respect of women who openly accosted him on the street! :wink:

Those stories are kind of serious though.

In reading any story, whether it be the Bible or Edgar Allen Poe, we need to consider the author's intent and the author's intended (or hoped for) audience. We need to consider the moral or the theme of the story.

Stepping this up to an Internet Poster, what was the intent of the Poster, who was the audience his post was directed towards? Wasn't the intent to taunt Christians by using an analogy, selected by Christ two thousand years ago, against Christians of today by slinging politically correct muck of today? ("Racist!")

I do agree the stories are serious--serious enough for people to at least attempt to understand their original intent and purpose. Do you remember the setting of the story? Jesus was in Canaanite territory, indicating he was the minority race or creed, and was probably being treated as such. He apparently didn't even deserve the respect of women who openly accosted him on the street! :wink:
I think Jesus was more into guys.

Hi,

I read this Scriptures from the New Testament and I wondered do they mean that Christianity justifies racism (in the Scriptures Jesus refers to people of certain races as "dogs:")
why do you believe the passage is talking about race rather than religion?.....there is no reason to consider the Canaanites to be of a different race than the Israelites......

Hi,

I read this Scriptures from the New Testament and I wondered do they mean that Christianity justifies racism (in the Scriptures Jesus refers to people of certain races as "dogs:")

"(21)Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. (22)And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23)But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (24)But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (25)Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (26)But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. (27)And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. (28)Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." Matt. 15:21-28

"(24)And from thence he arose, and went into the borders of Tyre and Sidon, and entered into an house, and would have no man know it: but he could not be hid. (25) For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet: (26)The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter. (27)But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs. (28)And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs. (29)And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter. (30)And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed." Mark 7:24-30

Do these Scriptures mean that Christianity justify racism?...

If either Judaism or Christianity justifies racism then it's the superiority of middle-eastern people, and not white people. ;)

As is the common thread throughout the Bible, from the first book of genesis to the last book of revelation, people are compared to animals according to their displayed attributes. Everything from talking serpents and donkeys, to swine, sheep, wolves, dogs, vultures, maggots, parasites, bottom feeders, worms, angels and demons, the living and the dead., etc., are all figurative descriptions that reflect the heights and depths of human potential and their flesh, figurative for teaching whether clean or unclean, is the subject of kosher law. (which has nothing whatever to do with racism or being Jewish or Gentile).

The teaching conveyed in this story is that those who might be considered to be the unclean dogs of the world can demonstrate more faith than even the ones who profess to be more highly evolved but who are, in the kingdom of God, just deceitful and pretentious low-life's..... talking serpents.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back