Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime

Interesting study:

The way I try to frame it is, right-to-carry laws can increase crime, violent crime, by maybe 13 or 15% over a 10-year period. Some factors decrease crime, some factors increase crime. Increasing incarceration tends to push down crime, increasing police tends to push down crime, and allowing citizens to carry handguns tends to push up crime.

Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime
Brain doing the LIE thing again.

"... states with open carry laws did have a 23 percent lower violent crime rate that year."

Is violent crime lower in states with open carry?

"The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report released Wednesday.

"Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center.

"And the number of permits issued is increasing faster every year. Over 1.7 million new permits were issued last year — a 15.4 percent increase over 2013, the largest such single-year jump ever, according to the report from the center led by President John R. Lott and research director John E. Whitley."
Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report

I call bs on that LA Times article. I know for a fact my brother would be dead if he never carried. He LEGALLY carried (s) a concealed weapon. Stopped at a gas station/store combo......guy walks up to my brother pointing a gun on him telling him to give his money, or he was going to shoot him.
My brother reached inside his vehicle and got his gun, and my brother shot they guy.

Turned out the guy was a known drug dealer. Police knew him the second they saw him. YES it was a horrible situation, and one my brother has had to live with and come to terms with for several years now. I doubt he has or ever will, but it was either my brother or the drug dealer. And yes, the dealer is dead. He was not carrying legally. He was a drug dealing thug. If my brother didn't have protection, he would be the dead one.

People easily can get illegal guns.

Few people are killed by complete strangers. It was a robbery attempt, not a homicide.

No it was a robbery attempt that actually DID turn into a homicide. And how many are ''few''??

Well I should specify. Most victims know their killer or are themselves criminals. Very, very few law abiding citizens are killed by a stranger.

Bull.

You don't follow crime statistics obviously.

There sure are lots of examples of guns being used to settle disputes. We have a very high gun crime rate.

Yes we do. What is interesting is that the states like Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota which have some of the highest gun ownership rates in the USA have some of the lowest gun crime rates as well. DC and surrounding area's have the lowest gun ownership in the nation and highest rate.

For guns to be the problem, you just can't have those two things. They are mutually exclusive. Instead you see murder rates follow two things. Poorer states, and urban area's. Why not work on the things that trend with violence rather than the things that don't.

It's not a gun proliferation issue. It's a social issue.

Well I should specify. Most victims know their killer or are themselves criminals. Very, very few law abiding citizens are killed by a stranger.

So let me get this straight. Criminals are getting guns and using them to kill other criminals.

And the issue is.....

Interesting study:

The way I try to frame it is, right-to-carry laws can increase crime, violent crime, by maybe 13 or 15% over a 10-year period. Some factors decrease crime, some factors increase crime. Increasing incarceration tends to push down crime, increasing police tends to push down crime, and allowing citizens to carry handguns tends to push up crime.

Fake news.

I call bs on that LA Times article. I know for a fact my brother would be dead if he never carried. He LEGALLY carried (s) a concealed weapon. Stopped at a gas station/store combo......guy walks up to my brother pointing a gun on him telling him to give his money, or he was going to shoot him.
My brother reached inside his vehicle and got his gun, and my brother shot they guy.

Turned out the guy was a known drug dealer. Police knew him the second they saw him. YES it was a horrible situation, and one my brother has had to live with and come to terms with for several years now. I doubt he has or ever will, but it was either my brother or the drug dealer. And yes, the dealer is dead. He was not carrying legally. He was a drug dealing thug. If my brother didn't have protection, he would be the dead one.

Few people are killed by complete strangers. It was a robbery attempt, not a homicide.

No it was a robbery attempt that actually DID turn into a homicide. And how many are ''few''??

Criminals cannot get a carry permit.

Lots of permits can lead to more stolen guns and more armed criminals.

A laughable assertion. Face it silly person your "logic" is a failure. Multiple studies have shown that in counties where carry conceal laws are easy for the public violent crime is lower than for your progressive hell holes like chicago where the normal person is prohibited from having guns for self defense. Criminals don't follow laws because they are....well criminals.

Something your pea brain can't seem to grasp.

Bull.

Obviously you don't since the statistics prove that crime went down not up and that concealed carry States are safer then non concealed carry states.

Interesting study:

"... states with open carry laws did have a 23 percent lower violent crime rate that year."

"The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report released Wednesday.

"Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center.

"And the number of permits issued is increasing faster every year. Over 1.7 million new permits were issued last year — a 15.4 percent increase over 2013, the largest such single-year jump ever, according to the report from the center led by President John R. Lott and research director John E. Whitley."

From your link:

Our ruling

Gaetz said, "In the states that allow open carry, violent crime was 23 percent lower."

This is a fact that experts say is largely meaningless and shouldn’t weigh into any serious policy discussion.

There may be less crime in those states, but there’s no way the single data point Gaetz gave can provide clues as to the effects of open carry laws.

Gaetz’s statement is a one-year snapshot that is misleading. We rate it Half True.

Bull.

Obviously you don't since the statistics prove that crime went down not up and that concealed carry States are safer then non concealed carry states.

Link?

Milwaukee and chicago got carry, how is that working?

Interesting study:

From your link:

Our ruling

Gaetz said, "In the states that allow open carry, violent crime was 23 percent lower."

This is a fact that experts say is largely meaningless and shouldn’t weigh into any serious policy discussion.

There may be less crime in those states, but there’s no way the single data point Gaetz gave can provide clues as to the effects of open carry laws.

Gaetz’s statement is a one-year snapshot that is misleading. We rate it Half True.

Oh yeah, there are lots of excuses why the NUMBERS ARE WRONG.

But we all know the numbers are right, and numbers (unlike you) don't lie... and the blathering is just lies told by commie pigs like you. Who lie. I mean, that's all you're good for.

The "science" touters aren't really about science when the science and the numbers put the lie to them.

Criminals cannot get a carry permit.

Lots of permits can lead to more stolen guns and more armed criminals.

A laughable assertion. Face it silly person your "logic" is a failure. Multiple studies have shown that in counties where carry conceal laws are easy for the public violent crime is lower than for your progressive hell holes like chicago where the normal person is prohibited from having guns for self defense. Criminals don't follow laws because they are....well criminals.

Something your pea brain can't seem to grasp.

You pea brain can't grasp that crime is always higher in large cities.

Interesting study:

From your link:

Our ruling

But here YOU are proclaiming on one biased study that you know what is and is not true even though the study is proven wrong by FACTS and statistics.

Bull.

Link?

Check out the FBI stats dumb ass.

Interesting study:

From your link:

Our ruling

Oh yeah, there are lots of excuses why the NUMBERS ARE WRONG.

But we all know the numbers are right, and numbers (unlike you) don't lie... and the blathering is just lies told by commie pigs like you. Who lie. I mean, that's all you're good for.

The "science" touters aren't really about science when the science and the numbers put the lie to them.

So the OP is correct.

Interesting study:

I have seen study after study that shows that crime goes down abruptly when concealed carry is instituted. So I wondered where the fuck you would find this bull shit and I only had to click on the link and there was the answer: a fake news site, the LA Times.
You will find all the studies claiming it goes down are done by the same person. And he's very questionable.

Not at all.

Interesting study:

I have seen study after study that shows that crime goes down abruptly when concealed carry is instituted. So I wondered where the fuck you would find this bull shit and I only had to click on the link and there was the answer: a fake news site, the LA Times.
You will find all the studies claiming it goes down are done by the same person. And he's very questionable.

Not at all.

Then prove me wrong.

Bull.

Link?

You're a liar.

"
Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry applications surge
City sees fewer homicides, robberies, burglaries, car thefts as Illinois residents take arms"

Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry gun permit applications surge

"Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center."

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Forum List

Back