CDZ Do you wanna be a winner or a victim?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
By any standard, Zaila Avant-garde is a remarkable 14-year-old girl with a positive and compelling outlook on life.

Avant-garde (her father reportedly changed her surname from Heard in honor of jazz legend John Coltrane) recently won the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee, the first African American to win the highly competitive spelling contest. She told reporters afterward that she studied 13,000 words a day. A DAY!

Hard work, bravery and confidence. Are these not among the keys to success in life? If they have proven successful throughout human history, why don't we make them priorities in school and elsewhere instead of the "woke" agenda?

Former President Barack Obama tweeted: "Three Guinness World Records (related to her prowess at basketball dribbling) and now the national spelling bee champ! Congrats, Zaila – your hard work is paying off. We're all proud of you."

Avant-garde is the left's worst nightmare. She reached a difficult goal through commitment and tenacity. She studied words with a coach for two years and her prize of $50,000 is likely just the beginning. If she remains on track, she is bound to achieve other goals, which include attending Harvard, playing professional basketball, and working for NASA.

Interviewed on ABC's "Good Morning America," she said she hopes her historic win will inspire other young Black people in the United States to excel at spelling.

People who are tenacious, overcome obstacles and succeed used to be part of the American story, a story we were happy to share to encourage others. What happened to it?

Why do we focus less on success and more on envying and penalizing the successful?

Why is there the constant drumbeat in our politics and most of the media about the unsuccessful and the proposals by certain politicians to throw good money after bad on programs that have mostly not worked

The Washington Post quoted Avant-garde as saying: "I'm hoping that in a few years I'll see a whole lot more African American females, and males too, doing well in the Scripps Spelling Bee. You don't really see too many African Americans doing too well in spelling bees and that's a bit sad, because it's a really good thing ... and kind of is a gate-opener to be interested in education."

Avant-garde may be the key to unlock those gates, opening them much wider for many more to go through.

I hope more black kids and every other kid will do what she did. That's the example to follow, and the pathway to follow it. Commitment and tenacity. You can do it. IMHO, we should be incentivizing success instead of denigrating it like the democrats do. We should not be treating minority kids or any kids as though they are victims that deserve special treatment, as the democrats want to do. Instead, we should be encouraging them to go for it, and keep trying until they succeed. That's the definition of a winner, not the equity obtained. We should not be telling them the system is rigged and they have no chance; first of all, that's bullshit. If Obama can do it, and this little girl can do it then so can anybody else. But you gotta work for it, and you gotta earn it. Don't wait for the gov't to do it for you, cuz they can't and won't. And shouldn't. If you wanna be a winner then go out and win something that you earned. No matter who you are, I wish you all the best.

If BLM and white lefty Liberals have their way.
She will be the last black kid to win the national spelling bee contest.
Because they consider standard English to be racist, and want the schools to teach Ebonics to their black students. ... :cool:

Last edited:
If BLM and white liberals have their way.
She will be the last black kid to win the national spelling bee contest.
Because they consider standard English to be racist and want the schools to replace it with urban ghetto Ebonics. ... :cool:
She may mysteriously end up dead, shot in the back by a failed robbery, like the DNC informant against Hillary....Cant have intelligent blacks walking around because those are the antithesis of the Progressives..

By any standard, Zaila Avant-garde is a remarkable 14-year-old girl with a positive and compelling outlook on life.

Avant-garde (her father reportedly changed her surname from Heard in honor of jazz legend John Coltrane) recently won the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee, the first African American to win the highly competitive spelling contest. She told reporters afterward that she studied 13,000 words a day. A DAY!

Hard work, bravery and confidence. Are these not among the keys to success in life? If they have proven successful throughout human history, why don't we make them priorities in school and elsewhere instead of the "woke" agenda?

Former President Barack Obama tweeted: "Three Guinness World Records (related to her prowess at basketball dribbling) and now the national spelling bee champ! Congrats, Zaila – your hard work is paying off. We're all proud of you."

Avant-garde is the left's worst nightmare. She reached a difficult goal through commitment and tenacity. She studied words with a coach for two years and her prize of $50,000 is likely just the beginning. If she remains on track, she is bound to achieve other goals, which include attending Harvard, playing professional basketball, and working for NASA.

Interviewed on ABC's "Good Morning America," she said she hopes her historic win will inspire other young Black people in the United States to excel at spelling.

People who are tenacious, overcome obstacles and succeed used to be part of the American story, a story we were happy to share to encourage others. What happened to it?

Why do we focus less on success and more on envying and penalizing the successful?

Why is there the constant drumbeat in our politics and most of the media about the unsuccessful and the proposals by certain politicians to throw good money after bad on programs that have mostly not worked

The Washington Post quoted Avant-garde as saying: "I'm hoping that in a few years I'll see a whole lot more African American females, and males too, doing well in the Scripps Spelling Bee. You don't really see too many African Americans doing too well in spelling bees and that's a bit sad, because it's a really good thing ... and kind of is a gate-opener to be interested in education."

Avant-garde may be the key to unlock those gates, opening them much wider for many more to go through.

I hope more black kids and every other kid will do what she did. That's the example to follow, and the pathway to follow it. Commitment and tenacity. You can do it. IMHO, we should be incentivizing success instead of denigrating it like the democrats do. We should not be treating minority kids or any kids as though they are victims that deserve special treatment, as the democrats want to do. Instead, we should be encouraging them to go for it, and keep trying until they succeed. That's the definition of a winner, not the equity obtained. We should not be telling them the system is rigged and they have no chance; first of all, that's bullshit. If Obama can do it, and this little girl can do it then so can anybody else. But you gotta work for it, and you gotta earn it. Don't wait for the gov't to do it for you, cuz they can't and won't. And shouldn't. If you wanna be a winner then go out and win something that you earned. No matter who you are, I wish you all the best.
Nice try, but who on the left has not shown tremendous respect to this amazing young woman?

Last I saw….the Liberal Mainstream Media was fawning all over her

Ummmm……Isn’t Obama a “Liberal”?

Last edited:
Man you are very self defeating with all the negative vibes you send out. Stop making the Democrats your excuse for failure in life Buddy.

See, this is why people like you get put on Ignore, you completely ignored the message and attacked the messenger (me). Do you want to debate whether or not the democrats denigrate success? They bitch about the wealthy all the time, no? "You didn't earn that", remember? In my book, that's denigrating. The democrats are always pushing for higher taxes, and they'll never say how much is enough, no? Raise it to 40, they'll push for 45 or 50. Raise it to 45 or 50, they'll push for more. You want to argue that? Good luck. When you don't want to raise anyone else's taxes, isn't that kinda penalizing success?

Do you think the 1609 Project promotes hard work, commitment, and tenacity, or does it promote the victimization of black people? I'd like to hear your logic for how that encourages anybody to do better. For the past 60 years or so, the democrats have been pouring huge amounts of money into education and other social programs, yet how much better off are black people as a result? Apparently not so much cuz people like you are still bitching to high heaven about the unfairness of it all. So tell me, isn't it about time we tried something else?

BTW, I am not a failure in life, and you sure as hell ain't my buddy.

See, this is why people like you get put on Ignore, you completely ignored the message and attacked the messenger (me). Do you want to debate whether or not the democrats denigrate success? They bitch about the wealthy all the time, no? "You didn't earn that", remember? In my book, that's denigrating. The democrats are always pushing for higher taxes, and they'll never say how much is enough, no? Raise it to 40, they'll push for 45 or 50. Raise it to 45 or 50, they'll push for more. You want to argue that? Good luck. When you don't want to raise anyone else's taxes, isn't that kinda penalizing success?

Do you think the 1609 Project promotes hard work, commitment, and tenacity, or does it promote the victimization of black people? I'd like to hear your logic for how that encourages anybody to do better. For the past 60 years or so, the democrats have been pouring huge amounts of money into education and other social programs, yet how much better off are black people as a result? Apparently not so much cuz people like you are still bitching to high heaven about the unfairness of it all. So tell me, isn't it about time we tried something else?

Democrats and Republican are always raising taxes is the correct retort but myopic souls such as yerself who can't see how both sides do it. Take Missouri, a Republican majority in all branches yet they raised taxes on auto fees and titles, raised gas taxes and raised the amount you pay in state taxes with online purchases...
I don't care if people put me on ignore because they are afraid of not being able to defend what they say, and this thread is not about me, Buddy( said like Pauly Shore).

Last edited:

Still waiting for you to show where ANYONE on the left has not supported this young woman

Can I be a victim for 20 minutes ?
edge_teacher_012513.jpg

Perhaps someone can explain to me the rules in these spelting bees ...

The winning word spelted by Miss Avent-Guard was "Murraya" ... a genus of plant native to tropical SE Asia ... as such, this is NOT a word in English ... these scientific genus names are strictly Latin or Latinized ... note I caste the word in italics, indicating this is a foreign word and again NOT English ...

What the hell is that all about? ...

ETA: I just checked Webster's Dictionary ... there's no entry for Murraya ... only the English translation of Murrey ...
Bow-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-gus ... and ewe no eye kann't spelt worth a chit ...

Last edited:
I saw this young woman on the Liberal News
She is not just an amazing speller but they showed video of her playing Basketball. She is not just a fancy dribbler, but she has game. She could drive to the basket and shoot with either hand. She could pull up and was deadly from 3 point range.
She also played D

Far from the typical spelling geek

I can see why Conservatives hate her

Perhaps someone can explain to me the rules in these spelting bees ...

The winning word spelted by Miss Avent-Guard was "Murraya" ... a genus of plant native to tropical SE Asia ... as such, this is NOT a word in English ... these scientific genus names are strictly Latin or Latinized ... note I caste the word in italics, indicating this is a foreign word and again NOT English ...

What the hell is that all about? ...
The words contestants get are not spontaneous off the cuff spellings.
They are given lists of thousands of possible spelling words and they study those lists

I saw this young woman on the Liberal News
She is not just an amazing speller but they showed video of her playing Basketball. She is not just a fancy dribbler, but she has game. She could drive to the basket and shoot with either hand. She could pull up and was deadly from 3 point range.
She also played D

Far from the typical spelling geek

I can see why Conservatives hate her
Which conservative hates her?

I find your statements to be odd considering the way you have eviscerated Candice Owens for not being black enough.

Which conservative hates her?

I find your statements to be odd considering the way you have eviscerated Candice Owens for not being black enough.

Let’s see…

Liberal Obama had nothing but praise for the young woman
Conservatives McConnell and Trump ignored her

Obvious Conservatives hate her

Forum List

Back