Do You Ever Stop and Think About Your Own Mortality

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I don't usually, but since I'm a geocacher (it's like a scavenger hunt for those of you who don't know) I tend to go in cemeteries a lot. I'm a Christian so I believe in Heaven, but yet somehow I'm still having trouble believing that one day my body is going to either be buried in the ground or burned to a crisp. I'm not really scared or bothered by it, but still,.. the fact I'm going to be in a cemetery myself someday is currently unfathomable to me. Does that make sense? Right now, I'm too busy loving life that I don't really think an awful lot about it though. :D

When I was in my 20's, I almost never thought about it. When I hit my 40's, it creeped into my thoughts once in a great while, usually when I was thinking about some of the daredevil or stupid things I did in my earlier years.

Now that I'm gonna be 58? I think about it every once in a while, but it doesn't really scare me as much as it encourages me to live life as much as I can with the time I have left. Most men in the US die around 74, so that means I have around 20 to 30 years left (hopefully).

When I was in my 20's, I almost never thought about it. When I hit my 40's, it creeped into my thoughts once in a great while, usually when I was thinking about some of the daredevil or stupid things I did in my earlier years.

Now that I'm gonna be 58? I think about it every once in a while, but it doesn't really scare me as much as it encourages me to live life as much as I can with the time I have left. Most men in the US die around 74, so that means I have around 20 to 30 years left (hopefully).

Well I'm thirty-two myself so I probably have another fifty to sixty years on earth I hope. :)

I worry more about getting old and feeble than dying.

Exactly and death itself is the easy part since it's final and there's no more worrying about it once it happens. It's the dying part that actually scares me a bit.

I think about death, dying, suicide, mortality, etc. on more days than not. (you asked)
I try to channel it into something positive but I usually come away with the feeling and reassurance that the world really isn't going to care anymore when I'm gone than it does right now.

I think about death, dying, suicide, mortality, etc. on more days than not. (you asked)
I try to channel it into something positive but I usually come away with the feeling and reassurance that the world really isn't going to care anymore when I'm gone than it does right now.

Have you sought help for it? Being stuck forever the way you are isn't a good thing, but neither is ending it now and getting it over with. Do you mind if I ask you how old you are?

I worry more about getting old and feeble than dying.
This.

I put my 89 year old mom in a nursing home last week (hopefully just temporary) after her bad bout with the covid and that will wake your ass up......I swear when I take her a care package and newspapers every few days I walk by a old guy's room and I don't think he's moved yet.....Is that me in 20 years or sooner?

Maybe it's better to burn-out than fade away sure enough.

I don't usually, but since I'm a geocacher (it's like a scavenger hunt for those of you who don't know) I tend to go in cemeteries a lot. I'm a Christian so I believe in Heaven, but yet somehow I'm still having trouble believing that one day my body is going to either be buried in the ground or burned to a crisp. I'm not really scared or bothered by it, but still,.. the fact I'm going to be in a cemetery myself someday is currently unfathomable to me. Does that make sense? Right now, I'm too busy loving life that I don't really think an awful lot about it though. :D
You must still be fairly young (20s, 30s, a little bit into the 40s I guess is the range I'm thinking of).

But to answer your question, yes I do think about it, but I don't dwell on it. I'm just trying to make sure the instructions I leave are complete enough to help the people who have the tasks of seeing to my final disposition, so to speak.

This.

I put my 89 year old mom in a nursing home last week (hopefully just temporary) after her bad bout with the covid and that will wake your ass up......I swear when I take her a care package and newspapers every few days I walk by a old guy's room and I don't think he's moved yet.....Is that me in 20 years or sooner?

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother. :(

You must still be fairly young (20s, 30s, a little bit into the 40s I guess is the range I'm thinking of).

But to answer your question, yes I do think about it, but I dwell on it. I'm just trying to make sure the instructions I leave are complete enough to help the people who have the tasks of seeing to my final disposition, so to speak.

I'm thirty-two as I already stated, and I was going to say that dwelling on it wasn't a good thing and then I read the rest of your sentence.

Yeah that was a typo, sorry I fixed it :)

Ah I see, and yes I think there's a difference of dwelling over it and wanting to see that your surviving loved ones are well taken care of your absence. It's just that nobody really wants to talk about death, but I find if you do talk about some things that are hard to talk about like that especially if they're unavoidable, then it sort of makes it a little bit better and easier to handle. For as I said death itself doesn't really bother me, but being old and sick and dying does. So it's more of how I'm going to die that bothers me. Will it be quick and easy or will it be long= drawn out and I suffer before actually dying? That's the scary part for me.

Thanks.....She's doing fine, just weak legged right now.

Oh, she was fully vaxxed/boosted.....For all what that was worth.

Yeah, but she's also old. I'm vaccinated so let's not make this thread a war against vaccinations alright?

Have you sought help for it? Being stuck forever the way you are isn't a good thing, but neither is ending it now and getting it over with. Do you mind if I ask you how old you are?
Late 50's and I'm sorry to say there is no help for me. A big part of my mindset is that I have several family members in much worse shape than I am in and I don't have enough time, energy, or money to help my own situation, let alone theirs.
I'm a repairman. I fix things and it has taken me a very long time to learn the hard way that some things just can not be fixed.

Ah I see, and yes I think there's a difference of dwelling over it and wanting to see that your surviving loved ones are well taken care of your absence. It's just that nobody really wants to talk about death, but I find if you do talk about some things that are hard to talk about like that especially if they're unavoidable, then it sort of makes it a little bit better and easier to handle. For as I said death itself doesn't really bother me, but being old and sick and dying does. So it's more of how I'm going to die that bothers me. Will it be quick and easy or will it be long= drawn out and I suffer before actually dying? That's the scary part for me.
Your comment is not very reassuring to someone who is old, sick, and dying.

No big deal. Just an FYI

This.

My mom died of leukemia when I was less than 2 years old. My lil brother was only 9 Days old. You sir are blessed beyond anything I can imagine to have your mom for so long.

Late 50's and I'm sorry to say there is no help for me. A big part of my mindset is that I have several family members in much worse shape than I am in and I don't have enough time, energy, or money to help my own situation, let alone theirs.
I'm a repairman. I fix things and it has taken me a very long time to learn the hard way that some things just can not be fixed.

Well then you should have another twenty to thirty years at least.

Your comment is not very reassuring to someone who is old, sick, and dying.

No big deal. Just an FYI

Sorry, but I don't walk on eggshells for Liberals or Conservatives and I can't change facts of life either so I'm not going to sugarcoat things and censor myself and you cannot make me feel guilty about it either because it isn't my fault. I feel bad for them, but that's different.

Forum List

Back