Do we honor the troops too much?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
I respect soldiers.

I respect the work they do, I respect the risks they take, I respect the commitment they make to serve the country.

But particularly in the US, there seems to be a culture in which soldiers are treated with a reverance denied other professions. I don't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about honoring nurses, teachers or the police; and that they also do extraordinary work in often appalling conditions and for limited salaries. Certainly nurses do not risk their life quite as often or as obviously as soldiers, but they still play a role in society I suggest few of us would want.

I can't help wondering if there is something deep within American culture that suggests that the field of battle is more important to America than education or healthcare - and with obvious results.

Would our world be a better place if we showed more respect for people like teachers and medical staff?

I respect soldiers.

I respect the work they do, I respect the risks they take, I respect the commitment they make to serve the country.

But particularly in the US, there seems to be a culture in which soldiers are treated with a reverance denied other professions. I don't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about honoring nurses, teachers or the police; and that they also do extraordinary work in often appalling conditions and for limited salaries. Certainly nurses do not risk their life quite as often or as obviously as soldiers, but they still play a role in society I suggest few of us would want.

I can't help wondering if there is something deep within American culture that suggests that the field of battle is more important to America than education or healthcare - and with obvious results.

Would our world be a better place if we showed more respect for people like teachers and medical staff?
If you lived here you would know that we DO honor those people.

National Nurses Day in United States

Hmmmm....with all due respect for 'National Nurses Day', I would question whether that is really quite the same thing as the way in which US troops are honored.

The thing that got me thinking about this was actually an episode of 'Extreme Home Makeover' I happened to channel surf through the other night - an episode devoted to honoring the troops. It made me wonder when they would be devoting an episode to primary school teachers.

You do have a penchant for unnecessary adjectives, don’t you Saigon? Have you thought about joining a support group? Melodrama Anonymous I think it is. Your comment reminds me of the brain-dead University of Iowa professor who told me that some idiot (him) volunteering 5 hours a week at the library, was the civic service equivalent of a soldier who lost both legs in battle. You obviously think the same way. So do most reprobate marxists in this country.

"Support" is ephemeral. It's mostly hot air. Look at our VA scandal. Our own government just murdered 40 Vietnam veterans in Phoenix, and nobody was indicted. That's "support"? No. That's democide, intentional targeted murder by government. It happens a lot against veterans in this country. The left hates us.

Hmmmm....with all due respect for 'National Nurses Day', I would question whether that is really quite the same thing as the way in which US troops are honored.

The thing that got me thinking about this was actually an episode of 'Extreme Home Makeover' I happened to channel surf through the other night - an episode devoted to honoring the troops. It made me wonder when they would be devoting an episode to primary school teachers.
It's not, nor should it be. Being a nurse is a noble profession (for some) but they don't put their lives on the line in battle. You need to have a little more respect for those who insure our freedom, you ungrateful prick.

You do have a penchant for unnecessary adjectives, don’t you Saigon? Have you thought about joining a support group? Melodrama Anonymous I think it is. Your comment reminds me of the brain-dead University of Iowa professor who told me that some idiot (him) volunteering 5 hours a week at the library, was the civic service equivalent of a soldier who lost both legs in battle. You obviously think the same way. So do most reprobate marxists in this country.

"Support" is ephemeral. It's mostly hot air. Look at our VA scandal. Our own government just murdered 40 Vietnam veterans in Phoenix, and nobody was indicted. That's "support"? No. That's democide, intentional targeted murder by government. It happens a lot against veterans in this country. The left hates us.
You have a penchant for bloviation, soldiers are serving, vets are not in the context you used.

It's not, nor should it be. Being a nurse is a noble profession (for some) but they don't put their lives on the line in battle. You need to have a little more respect for those who insure our freedom, you ungrateful prick.
according to Sweaty most Americans are ungrateful pricks?

I respect soldiers.

What do you mean "we"? You are welcome to disparage Finnish soldiers to your heart's desire, but don't pretend to speak for American culture. Isn't there a Finnish website where you can be boorish about your own affairs? We, my ass!

In situations like with Ebola, they do put their lives on the line. As they do, to a lesser extent, with any contagious illness.

I don't see how showing gratitude to nurses or teachers displays ungratitude towards troops. Neither do you.

Btw, the verb here is "ensure". No one is buying insurance.

In situations like with Ebola, they do put their lives on the line. As they do, to a lesser extent, with any contagious illness.

I don't see how showing gratitude to nurses or teachers displays ungratitude towards troops. Neither do you.

Btw, the verb here is "ensure". No one is buying insurance.
Either spelling is acceptable, Poindexter.

Insure - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Ensure - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You have a penchant for bloviation, soldiers are serving, vets are not in the context you used.

Well there's one criticism I'll make of our troops...while a million of them were saving your ass in Britain: We never taught you morons how to speak the American language.

Do I live in Britain?

Or were there a million US troops in Finland?

: to buy insurance for (something, such as property or health)

: to provide insurance for (something, such as property or health); also : to provide (someone) with insurance

: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe

Hhmm.....I think I'll stick with using 'insure' as the dictionary suggests in its first 2 listings...

: to buy insurance for (something, such as property or health)

: to provide insurance for (something, such as property or health); also : to provide (someone) with insurance

: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe

Hhmm.....I think I'll stick with using 'insure' as the dictionary suggests in its first 2 listings...
Do whatever you want, nobody gives a shit, especially me.

Well there's one criticism I'll make of our troops...while a million of them were saving your ass in Britain: We never taught you morons how to speak the American language.

Do I live in Britain?

American troops and power were the reason you in Finland were not under the Russian thumb. Hell, you might well have joined your Estonian cousins as being part of the USSR.

Finland did have a tradition of military courage before its "Finlandization".

I am disgusted with the tax breaks we have bestowed on military people. They now get exempted from property & income taxes. Not only do they live off the tax payer, but now they are not burdened by being a tax payer.

Do I live in Britain?

American troops and power were the reason you in Finland were not under the Russian thumb. Hell, you might well have joined your Estonian cousins as being part of the USSR.

Finland did have a tradition of military courage before its "Finlandization".

They do have a very proud military history. They love their guns over there too.

Forum List

Back