Discrepancy between Leviticus 23:6 and Matthew 26:17 ?

rstrats

Jul 1, 2011
Leviticus 23:6 says : “And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread...” However, Matthew 26:17 says: “Now on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?”

Any thoughts on the seeming discrepancy?

Leviticus 23:6 says : “And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread...” However, Matthew 26:17 says: “Now on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?”

Don't get your confusion. Lev. cites the fifteenth day of the month, while Matt. cites the first day of the feast. Why couldn't the first day of the feast be the 15th of the month?

Yeah. There is no discrepency.

Leviticus is telling us what time of the month the feast of unleavened bread is.

Matthew is talking about the First day OF the feast.

re: "Matthew is talking about the First day OF the feast."

Right; and he indicates that it can't be any later than the 14th.

Okay, maybe you're reading a version of the Bible that I'm not, but would you mind telling me WHERE in that chapter of Matthew, let alone in that verse, the actual DATE is mentioned? All I see is "The first day of the feast", which could be any freaking day of the month at all.

And by the way, if you're going to spam the entire freaking Internet with your stupid question, you could AT LEAST do everyone on the Internet a favor and be a LITTLE FREAKING CLEARER ABOUT WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE BABBLING ABOUT.

Frigging trolls.

He didn't indicate anything about what day of the month it is. All he mentioned was the First day of the feast. There is no mention whatsoever of what day of the month the First day of the feast was.

There is no discrepency

Cecilie1200,

re: "...would you mind telling me WHERE in that chapter of Matthew, let alone in that verse, the actual DATE is mentioned?"

You're missing the point; perhaps due to your concentration on giving me a bunch of grief. What have I ever done to you to set you off like that?

Anyway, back to your question: "...would you mind telling me WHERE in that chapter of Matthew, let alone in that verse, the actual DATE is mentioned?" It isn't, but it does indicate that it can't be any later than the 14th.

re: "There is no mention whatsoever of what day of the month the First day of the feast was."

The disciples came to the Messiah on what Matthew says was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This was before the last supper and the crucifixion. Now , unless you think that those events took place on the 15th, Matthew has to be referring to a day before the 15th.

Last edited:

re: "There is no mention whatsoever of what day of the month the First day of the feast was."

The disciples came to the Messiah on what Matthew says was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This was before the last supper and the crucifixion. Now , unless you think that those events took place on the 15th, Matthew has be referring to a day before the 15th.

Because the Jewish day starts at sundown, what would be the 15th day for them would still be the 14th day for others.

konradv,

re: "Because the Jewish day starts at sundown, what would be the 15th day for them would still be the 14th day for others."

But it is "them" that we are discussing. And I don't see what difference it makes if the 15th starts at sundown or if it starts at midnight. I wonder if you might explain why you think it does make a difference?

What discrepancy?

The Feast of unleavened bread starts at sundown on the 14th,that is the start of the 15th day of the month.Passover ends at sundown and feast of unleavened bread starts.
The feast lasts 7 days and Matthew is talking about the 1st day of the feast.

peach174,

re: "There is no discrepancy..."

So are you suggesting that Leviticus 23:6 is referring to the second day of the feast?

konradv,

re: "Because the Jewish day starts at sundown, what would be the 15th day for them would still be the 14th day for others."

But it is "them" that we are discussing. And I don't see what difference it makes if the 15th starts at sundown or if it starts at midnight. I wonder if you might explain why you think it does make a difference?

It means a great deal of difference to the Jews.
Passover was instructions given to them by God.
"Let the lamb be a perfect one, a year old male. Take it from the sheep or the goats. And you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then all the assembly of the congregation of Yisrael shall kill it between the evenings. [Note: All the people were to kill the Passover, not just the Levites.] And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. And they shall eat the flesh on that night, roasted in fire -- with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it" (Exodus 12:5-8). Notice again that they were commanded to eat the Passover with unleavened bread.

Last edited:
peach174,

re: "It means a great deal of difference to the Jews."

But how does it make a difference to the question in the OP?

One has to do with jews the the other thing has to do with christians.

CMike,

re: "One has to do with jews the the other thing has to do with christians."

How does that make a difference?

Cecilie1200,

re: "...would you mind telling me WHERE in that chapter of Matthew, let alone in that verse, the actual DATE is mentioned?"

You're missing the point; perhaps due to your concentration on giving me a bunch of grief. What have I ever done to you to set you off like that?

Anyway, back to your question: "...would you mind telling me WHERE in that chapter of Matthew, let alone in that verse, the actual DATE is mentioned?" It isn't, but it does indicate that it can't be any later than the 14th.

Yes, I AM missing the point . . . BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE. I believe that WAS what I was trying to convey. I could concentrate like a frigging laser on your meaningless babble, and it would not in any way make your point - whatever the hell it is - any more present and accounted for.

What have you ever done to set me off like that? Unlike you, I WAS clear about my point: STUPID PEOPLE PISS ME OFF. What you did was to be stupid. Stop it immediately.

Now, back to my question, which you are pretending to answer while providing no answer, but merely repeating your first unsubstantiated assertion: WHERE IN THAT CHAPTER IS THE DATE EVER MENTIONED? Do NOT tell me that it doesn't mention it, but indicates that it can't be later than the fourteenth, because THAT WOULD BE MENTIONING IT.

Either it mentions the date by way of your alleged "indication that it can't be later than the 14th", in which case your ignorant ass will produce a post TELLING ME WHERE IT DOES THIS, or it doesn't mention the date, in which case your blithering spam all over the Internet is an indication that you're the new poster child for late-late-LATE-term abortions.

Pick one, and don't be all damned week about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back