Did Jephthah actually slay his daughter?

Structure of Judges, for those who want to learn more about the book and what its overall themes are, and the role of chiasms in the particular case of the book of Judges, which is essentially geo-politics surrounding Gideon and the role of Israel's surrounding enemies.

Literary structure (chiasm, chiasmus) of Book of Judges: Whole structure

Literary structure (chiasm, chiasmus) of each pericopes of Book of Judges

People whodon't study the bible and learn of the multiple layers of meanings are missing most of what it tries to teach. The various styles serve to make it a much shorter book by the devices used; if all the meanings were told separately and without such tools, the book would be unreadable and massive.
For some it is much too complicated as they just have not reached that level (maturity) in the spirit to search it all out, for others it is a matter of laziness, some just simply are not prepared or readied yet and some prefer darkness rather than light; then you have those that search yet they have not been given the spirit to understand any of it so they start guessing and make presumptions based on their earthy (carnal) minds; there are also those that humbly wait of the lord to lead them where they need to be and show them what their role is in the spirit (if any other than to survive this world into the next).

When you read the Greek word pharmakeia as used in relation to sorcery in the Bible and, because it is used as "pharmacy" in English, try to connect that somehow to VACCINES in modern usage, you know you have gone too far. You know you have, see, so your default then is to say, well, these other poor sops don't have the right "spirit" or they're in "darkness" or whatever, which is a total cop out. Just say what you mean: you strongly dislike vaccines and don't think anyone should get them. Fair enough. But to make like the BIBLE says you shouldn't get them is disgusting, and I then do not trust a darn thing you have to say about the Bible. So there it is.
When you support human experimentation on other peoples children and ignore the Word along with refusing to learn it is on you not me.

Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

If they had turned aside from the way Moses taught to follow the law, began to imitate the practices of the surrounding tribes, and made a vow to an image of God that reflects the beliefs of their enemies they were terrified about what a God that does not exist would do.

It says nothing about God.

Um, yeah, it does. Jephy promises to sacrifice something (or someone) to Yahweh IF he returns victorious against the Ammonites. God knows iff he is going to win, and God knows who the unlucky person who is going to be first outside that door is. That says God was totally good with the Human Sacrifice.

upload_2019-1-30_5-58-8.jpeg

There are many people who make vows of obedience to the Pope or a vow of celibacy, a financial commitment to church, or loyalty a two bit Jesus eating preacher, and then are terrified about what God would do if they broke their vows never thinking for a second that the image of the God they made a vow to doesn't exist.

Again, their fear does not have anything to do with any God.

Well, there's a difference. God doesn't actually exist, but in this story , he does. God is an active player in the story, unless you think that he just HAPPENED to win and HAPPENED to sacrifice his daughter.

Its about the paralyzing discomfit experienced and the stupid, obstinate, even evil things people do when they are trapped by their own words.

It is astonishing to see the lengths to which some people will go to to avoid the embarrassment of admitting a mistake in front of other people, even on a somewhat anonymous message board, even though they know without any doubt at all that God already knows how inept they really are.

Humans are a strange species.

I agree, they are the only ones who feel compelled to worship things that don't exist, but that wasn't the point here. This story takes place in a time when God talked directly to his Judges and Prophets. When he demanded they kill people for fairly minor offenses, and the people obeyed without question.

Structure of Judges, for those who want to learn more about the book and what its overall themes are, and the role of chiasms in the particular case of the book of Judges, which is essentially geo-politics surrounding Gideon and the role of Israel's surrounding enemies.

Literary structure (chiasm, chiasmus) of Book of Judges: Whole structure

Literary structure (chiasm, chiasmus) of each pericopes of Book of Judges

People whodon't study the bible and learn of the multiple layers of meanings are missing most of what it tries to teach. The various styles serve to make it a much shorter book by the devices used; if all the meanings were told separately and without such tools, the book would be unreadable and massive.
For some it is much too complicated as they just have not reached that level (maturity) in the spirit to search it all out, for others it is a matter of laziness, some just simply are not prepared or readied yet and some prefer darkness rather than light; then you have those that search yet they have not been given the spirit to understand any of it so they start guessing and make presumptions based on their earthy (carnal) minds; there are also those that humbly wait of the lord to lead them where they need to be and show them what their role is in the spirit (if any other than to survive this world into the next).

When you read the Greek word pharmakeia as used in relation to sorcery in the Bible and, because it is used as "pharmacy" in English, try to connect that somehow to VACCINES in modern usage, you know you have gone too far. You know you have, see, so your default then is to say, well, these other poor sops don't have the right "spirit" or they're in "darkness" or whatever, which is a total cop out. Just say what you mean: you strongly dislike vaccines and don't think anyone should get them. Fair enough. But to make like the BIBLE says you shouldn't get them is disgusting, and I then do not trust a darn thing you have to say about the Bible. So there it is.
When you support human experimentation on other peoples children and ignore the Word along with refusing to learn it is on you not me.

Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their own children. They can all do what they will with their own children, as I did with mine. But me telling them that the BIBLE is against vaccines would be absolutely wrong, as it is absolutely wrong for you to tell people, or to even imply, that the Bible is against vaccines. Because it's not. Not even if you think some spirit of prophecy tells you so.

I agree, they are the only ones who feel compelled to worship things that don't exist, but that wasn't the point here. This story takes place in a time when God talked directly to his Judges and Prophets. When he demanded they kill people for fairly minor offenses, and the people obeyed without question.

Yeah, that was then. I heard that we still live in a time when people go to war because they think that God told them to.

The question isn't whether God commanded anyone to do this or that evil thing.

The question is why anyone listens to a crazy person.

Someone once told me that I don't believe in his God because I don't believe that God became an edible human being,Thats one smart fellow. and since I do not believe that God is edible I will never know what its like to be insane. Woe is me.

If that same person went on to tell me that his God wanted me to cut off the flesh of my foreskin and strap a little box on my head to be saved, I still wouldn't think that there was something wrong with God, even if he showed me exactly where it is written.

I would think that person was an uncircumcised dickhead.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was then. I heard that we still live in a time when people go to war because they think that God told them to.

The question isn't whether God commanded anyone to do this or that evil thing.

I don't think God Commanded anyone to do anything, he was too busy not existing.

The point was, the people at the time BELIEVED Jephthah was an agent of God. They followed him in to battle against the Ammonites and genocided those poor bastards. they all sat there and watched as Jephy waited thirty days for his daughter to bewail her virginity... None of her friend helped her escape or get her cherry popped before she got chopped up. And when Jephy ordered the slaughter of the Ephramites (a tribe of Israel), the other Israelites obeyed without question.

If someone said, "Hey, this Son of a Whore is crazy" (and yes, Jephy was the son of a whore), no one recorded it...

Someone told me that I don't believe in his God because I don't believe that God became an edible human being. Thats one smart fellow.

If that same person went on to tell me that his God wanted me to cut off the flesh of my foreskin and wear a box on my head to be saved, I wouldn't think that there was something wrong with God.

But if God went around smiting people who disagreed with him, would you?

Now, keep in mind, these were Bronze Age savages, who called everything in nature they didn't understand "God", so when there was a plague or a famine, they went around killing "sinners" until the thing they didn't understand stopped, and then they assumed they killed the right guy.

Today we have computers and space shuttles and greater understanding of the universe, but there are still assholes who want to kill the gays or the Muslims to please their magic sky fairy.

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their own children. They can all do what they will with their own children, as I did with mine. But me telling them that the BIBLE is against vaccines would be absolutely wrong, as it is absolutely wrong for you to tell people, or to even imply, that the Bible is against vaccines. Because it's not. Not even if you think some spirit of prophecy tells you so.
"Not even if you think some spirit of prophecy tells you so."

“Thou shalt not bear false witness” forbids: “1. Speaking falsely in any matter, lying, equivocating, and any way devising and designing to deceive our neighbor. 2. Speaking unjustly against our neighbor, to the prejudice of his reputation; and (which involves the guilty of both).

It is not brotherly or sisterly love in any manner and it taints the whole concept of being one of Christ. Perhaps you should get some help to help get rid of those demons that are helping to lead you astray. A good comprehension reading program may help you but I am doubtful about that.

Hob is at war with those Ammonites daily.
Joe has got it right that the Ammonites are "bastards" but fails to grasp that they are spiritual host within and without.
Sue gives a prime example of that Ammonite spirit manifesting and projecting but the only one that may grasp what that is, is hobelim.

“Thou shalt not bear false witness” forbids: “1. Speaking falsely in any matter, lying, equivocating, and any way devising and designing to deceive our neighbor. 2. Speaking unjustly against our neighbor, to the prejudice of his reputation; and (which involves the guilty of both).

It is not brotherly or sisterly love in any manner and it taints the whole concept of being one of Christ. Perhaps you should get some help to help get rid of those demons that are helping to lead you astray. A good comprehension reading program may help you but I am doubtful about that.

If someone says they have a spirit of prophecy, and they are explicitly saying things about the Bible that are not there, then they are a false prophet. And I absolutely will always stand up to false prophets. That's why I think you should be very, very careful what you call prophecy and what you say the Bible says. That's why I say, again, that you have every right to say what you say about vaccines, as your opinion. I would never say you nay on that; state your case. But when you pretend that the BIBLE says this, you are speaking falsely about God's Word. When you overlay this as if you have some kind of prophecy about it, absolutely not.

False prophets will never contradict God's Word. That's one way you can suss them out, see.

If someone says they have a spirit of prophecy, and they are explicitly saying things about the Bible that are not there, then they are a false prophet. And I absolutely will always stand up to false prophets. That's why I think you should be very, very careful what you call prophecy and what you say the Bible says. That's why I say, again, that you have every right to say what you say about vaccines, as your opinion. I would never say you nay on that; state your case. But when you pretend that the BIBLE says this, you are speaking falsely about God's Word. When you overlay this as if you have some kind of prophecy about it, absolutely not.

False prophets will never contradict God's Word. That's one way you can suss them out, see.
I have made no contradictions but you have made up crap in your own mind. You are pathetic. You either need to get some reading comprehension skills and learn the original meanings of the Word or in your own words back at you "shut up".

Joe has got it right that the Ammonites are "bastards" but fails to grasp that they are spiritual host within and without.

Um, no, you are taking what I said out of context. the Ammonites were poor bastards because they were sitting their, minding their own business, when the crazy Son of a Whore Jephy came by and burned and looted 30 of their cities.

Because God is all good with the Genocide.

And this is the problem with looking at the Bible as a source of morality... In the bible, Genocide, Slavery, Homophobia, Racism are all kind of okay. Until we as a people decided they weren't.

God didn't change his mind. We changed ours.

I have made no contradictions but you have made up crap in your own mind. You are pathetic. You either need to get some reading comprehension skills and learn the original meanings of the Word or in your own words back at you "shut up".

Does the Bible teach anything about vaccines? This is a yes or no question.

My answer: no it does not. Clearly.

Um, no, you are taking what I said out of context. the Ammonites were poor bastards because they were sitting their, minding their own business, when the crazy Son of a Whore Jephy came by and burned and looted 30 of their cities.

Because God is all good with the Genocide.

And this is the problem with looking at the Bible as a source of morality... In the bible, Genocide, Slavery, Homophobia, Racism are all kind of okay. Until we as a people decided they weren't.

God didn't change his mind. We changed ours.
I wasn't taking it out of context, merely pointing out what the Ammonites host are. Chill Joe you can remain an atheist.

It does use the word sorcery in place of the Greek word pharmekia in Revelation and you spent how many posts denying that fact?

I wasn't taking it out of context, merely pointing out what the Ammonites host are. Chill Joe you can remain an atheist.

We know what the Ammonites were. People who were standing on land the Hebrews wanted...

The problem is, the Zionists still think this sort of thing is acceptable.
Your land/garden/mind/that place in the spirit is not really desired by many Christians Joe.

Hebrew simply means from the region beyond. In the Bible it is referring to the spiritual hosts in that region beyond in the mind.

You like many others judge by the earthly flesh of things and disregard the spirit that Jesus taught about. 'That place in the spirit'

It does use the word sorcery in place of the Greek word pharmekia in Revelation and you spent how many posts denying that fact?

Just because that word is used for "Sorcery" in the NT does not mean the modern use of the word PHARMACY is sorcery, for pity's sake. That is very dull and clunky translating, as any linguist will tell you. Now you're going to tell me I just don't have the "spirit of prophecy" but that is just not true. You cannot overlay FAULTY TRANSLATING and misinterpretation over the Bible and say anyone who doesn't agree with you just doesn't have the "right spirit". Here:

Three points on 'pharmakeia' - translation, practice, interpretation

I think there are really three questions here: one about translation, one about the practice of medicine , and one about interpretation for today.

First, translation: The word pharmakeia is very much like our word for ‘drugs’: that is, it can refer to many things. When I use the word “drugs” I can be referring to Tylenol (which can be purchased over the counter) or to prescription drugs (which require the oversight of a physician), but I can also be referring to illegal drugs (such as meth). Which I am referring to will depend entirely on context; generally, when someone uses the word ‘drugs’ they have a specific meaning in mind rather than all three. The word pharmakeia is much the same. It has a range of meanings. It can refer to magic, but it very often refers to the practice of medicine or what might be called healing arts (see Liddell and Scott, a Greek-English Lexicon). It does not refer to both of these things at the same time. It depends on context. In the New Testament the word pharmekeia occurs three times (Gal 5:19-21; Rev 9:21; 18:23). Each time, it is translated as ‘sorcery’ or ‘magic’ and it is something that is spoken of in negative terms. The translators have chosen this definition because of the context. This does not mean that every possible definition of the word phramekeia is condemned. It depends on context.

Second, you ask if the practice of medicine is condemned in the New Testament. By no means. There are two verses that point to a positive view of the practice of medicine: "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.” (Matt 9:12; Mark 2:7; Luke 5:31). Why say that the sick have need of a physician if medicine is condemned? And Colossians 4:14 brings greetings from “Luke, the physician.” Why would Luke’s profession as a physician be mentioned if it were viewed as inappropriate or tantamount to sorcery? The New Testament certainly recognizes that healing can occur in other ways besides through the care of a physician: Jesus is presented as the quintessential healer. Both Mark and Luke tell a story about a woman who had been ill for many years and who had seen many physicians, none of whom were able to help here (Mark 5:26; Luke 8:43). This does not condemn the medical profession; rather it describes the desperate state of the woman.

Pharmakeia? | Massachusetts Bible Society

Your land/garden/mind/that place in the spirit is not really desired by many Christians Joe.

Hebrew simply means from the region beyond. In the Bible it is referring to the spiritual hosts in that region beyond in the mind.

You like many others judge by the earthly flesh of things and disregard the spirit that Jesus taught about.

Okay, now you are just babbling....

Here's the thing. The Hebrews didn't believe in souls or spirits or any of that shit. They though when you died, you were dead. The whole, "Afterlife" bullshit is something the Christians came up with to sell people on their religion when they started figuring out praying for stuff usually doesn't work.

You like many others judge by the earthly flesh of things and disregard the spirit that Jesus taught about.

Okay, now you are just babbling....

Here's the thing. The Hebrews didn't believe in souls or spirits or any of that shit. They though when you died, you were dead. The whole, "Afterlife" bullshit is something the Christians came up with to sell people on their religion when they started figuring out praying for stuff usually doesn't work.
That is not what is in the history even outside of biblical writings, Joe.

Pharmaceuticals -The Sorceries of Babylon

.............The words "pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical" are derived from the Greek word, pharmakeia (Strong's G5331). This word is found in the Bible in the following passages of scripture.

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery (pharmakeia), enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21

and the light of a lamp will not shine in you (the great city Babylon) any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations (ethnos) were deceived by your sorcery (pharmakeia).

Revelation 18:23

Other versions read:

• By your magic spell all the nations were led astray. (NIV)
  • and all the nations were deceived by your witchcraft. (ISV)
  • because all the nations were deceived by your magic spells! (NET Bible)
  • for all nations have been deceived by thy enchantments. (Douay-Rheims Bible)
  • because in your spell inducing drugs all the races were led astray. (Heritage Bible [* presently unable to provide further documentation of this resource]).........................................
Mankind actually learned from those described in the Bible as "the sons of god" (Genesis 6) and "angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode." (Jude 1:6)

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Genesis 6:4

In the book of Enoch (referenced in Jude 1:14), we find an expanded testimony about these beings called Watchers, learning of their activity and their Nephilim "large giant" spawn.

1 And they took wives for themselves and everyone chose for himself one each. And they began to go into them and were promiscuous with them. And they taught them charms and spells, and they showed them the cutting of roots and trees. 2 And they became pregnant and bore large giants. And their height was three thousand cubits. 3 These devoured all the toil of men; until men were unable to sustain them. 4 And the giants turned against them in order to devour men. 5 And they began to sin against birds, and against animals, and against reptiles, and against fish, and they devoured one another's flesh, and drank the blood from it. 6 Then the Earth complained about the lawless ones.

Enoch Chapter 7

1 And Azazel taught men to make swords, and daggers, and shields, and breastplates. And he showed them the things after these, and the art of making them; bracelets, and ornaments, and the art of making up the eyes, and of beautifying the eyelids, and the most precious stones, and all kinds of coloured dyes. And the world was changed. 2 And there was great impiety, and much fornication, and they went astray, and all their ways became corrupt. 3 Amezarak taught all those who cast spells and cut roots, Armaros the release of spells, and Baraqiel astrologers, and Kokabiel portents, and Tamiel taught astrology, and Asradel taught the path of the Moon. 4 And at the destruction of men they cried out; and their voices reached Heaven.

Enoch Chapter 8

As very likely more properly rendered in the popular translation by H. R. Charles, verse 3a reads: "Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings."

As it was, so it is and will be. The Lord Y'shua declared, "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah." (Matthew 24:37) This same condition responsible for the great flood of Noah's day, which is the genetic mixture of the sons of god and daughters of men, is appointed for the last days - our day!............................

And much like Jephthah the person who created and brought forth this daughter (bath, a local to seek and worship the spirit of God's infinite wisdom) they give up the entire glory to God.

...................the modern "graven images" as one of Satan's schemes (See The Open Scroll Blog from the end of October, 2009 forward), it became apparent that this procreative scheme is and has ever been the underlying theme of graven images. It dawned on me (Thank you Lord!) that the procreative scheme was at the root of these other schemes, even pharmakeia!.....................................................

Pharmaceuticals -The Sorceries of Babylon

.............The words "pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical" are derived from the Greek word, pharmakeia (Strong's G5331). This word is found in the Bible in the following passages of scripture.

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery (pharmakeia), enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21

and the light of a lamp will not shine in you (the great city Babylon) any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations (ethnos) were deceived by your sorcery (pharmakeia).

Revelation 18:23

Other versions read:

• By your magic spell all the nations were led astray. (NIV)
  • and all the nations were deceived by your witchcraft. (ISV)
  • because all the nations were deceived by your magic spells! (NET Bible)
  • for all nations have been deceived by thy enchantments. (Douay-Rheims Bible)
  • because in your spell inducing drugs all the races were led astray. (Heritage Bible [* presently unable to provide further documentation of this resource]).........................................
Mankind actually learned from those described in the Bible as "the sons of god" (Genesis 6) and "angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode." (Jude 1:6)

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Genesis 6:4

In the book of Enoch (referenced in Jude 1:14), we find an expanded testimony about these beings called Watchers, learning of their activity and their Nephilim "large giant" spawn.

1 And they took wives for themselves and everyone chose for himself one each. And they began to go into them and were promiscuous with them. And they taught them charms and spells, and they showed them the cutting of roots and trees. 2 And they became pregnant and bore large giants. And their height was three thousand cubits. 3 These devoured all the toil of men; until men were unable to sustain them. 4 And the giants turned against them in order to devour men. 5 And they began to sin against birds, and against animals, and against reptiles, and against fish, and they devoured one another's flesh, and drank the blood from it. 6 Then the Earth complained about the lawless ones.

Enoch Chapter 7

1 And Azazel taught men to make swords, and daggers, and shields, and breastplates. And he showed them the things after these, and the art of making them; bracelets, and ornaments, and the art of making up the eyes, and of beautifying the eyelids, and the most precious stones, and all kinds of coloured dyes. And the world was changed. 2 And there was great impiety, and much fornication, and they went astray, and all their ways became corrupt. 3 Amezarak taught all those who cast spells and cut roots, Armaros the release of spells, and Baraqiel astrologers, and Kokabiel portents, and Tamiel taught astrology, and Asradel taught the path of the Moon. 4 And at the destruction of men they cried out; and their voices reached Heaven.

Enoch Chapter 8

As very likely more properly rendered in the popular translation by H. R. Charles, verse 3a reads: "Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings."

As it was, so it is and will be. The Lord Y'shua declared, "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah." (Matthew 24:37) This same condition responsible for the great flood of Noah's day, which is the genetic mixture of the sons of god and daughters of men, is appointed for the last days - our day!............................

And much like Jephthah the person who created and brought forth this daughter (bath, a local to seek and worship the spirit of God's infinite wisdom) they give up the entire glory to God.

...................the modern "graven images" as one of Satan's schemes (See The Open Scroll Blog from the end of October, 2009 forward), it became apparent that this procreative scheme is and has ever been the underlying theme of graven images. It dawned on me (Thank you Lord!) that the procreative scheme was at the root of these other schemes, even pharmakeia!.....................................................

Again. And again. Just because the Greek work pharmekia is translated "sorcery" doesn't mean that our modern usage translates that way. You have no counter to that, and you have no answer on whether the Bible has anything to say on vaccines. Therefore, I'm going to consider that you understand that the Bible does NOT consider medicines to be "sorcery" nor does it consider vaccines to be sinful. So enough of your nonsense.

Forum List

Back