"Democrats at a Crossroads" -- But WHY is that?

How did that switch happen?
Well, it's not all that unusual. 2008 Obama voters flipped it to Trump, and Boo accurately pointed out that even with Putin and Comey helping Trump, Hillary would've won had Sanders been on the ticket.

But I''m not really interested in a non-literal autopsy on Trump. Trump is just a pimple on the ass of America, and Obama should have paid as much attention to homeowners getting foreclosed on as he paid to Wall St.

As the OP mentioned, the dem party success was largely about the Jacksonian (and then Bourbon) and then the New Deal coalition (which caused it's own demise with civil rights, and the economics of LBJ) And there's a reason black voters are mainly monolithic.

I'm frankly hopeful that the theocrats may take away gay marriage to go along with abortion.

Last edited:
"Why?" is a question that is no longer asked in American political discussion, perhaps because it risks honesty and self-reflection. We can't have THAT. Honest curiosity -- one of the most valuable of human traits, one that leads to great innovation and progress -- appears to be a characteristic that is dripping away from us by the day, causing our thought process to calcify. The results of that are clear.

Interesting piece here about where the Democrats are today. My question at the bottom.

"Gradually for decades, and then rapidly since the 2008 financial crisis, the Democrats have lost the loyalty of white Americans who are below the median income level and who live in rural America—that is, they have lost a large part of their original constituency. They have remained competitive partly by persuading many affluent and educated metropolitan voters, who tend to be liberal on social issues and conservative on economic ones—a category that used to dominate the liberal wing of the Republican Party, when it had a liberal wing—to switch parties.

"The congressional districts with the highest median incomes now overwhelmingly send Democrats to Congress. Michael Podhorzer, an analyst at the AFL-CIO, calls this set of changes in who votes for which party “the Great Reversal.” This isn’t just an American phenomenon; roughly the same dynamic is playing out all over the world."

So here is my "why" question: If the above is true and fair, WHY have the Democrats lost white voters like they have?

I'd love to see how those here who are Left of center would answer that.

Hate speech, pure and simple. 40 years of talk radio talking about "Femi-nazis", "urban" sloth and poverty, and "Democrats are trying to destroy the country", backed up by the billionaire-owned right wing media. All reinforced when they attend their evangelical churches and are told that Democrats are anti-religion, satanists, who worship sex.

Y'all stole the election.
Now, now.

Just because Trump got 74 MILLION votes--almost 8 million more votes than his prior win over Hilldawg, and 5 million more votes than the prior all-time high winner 4 years earlier (Barrack, 2012)--and just because Obama's all-time high was overshadowed by Biden by a staggering 7 MILLION votes, making Biden the winner with more that 18 MILLION VOTES more than the previous winner, is no reason to suspect fraud.

These things just magically happen and we must accept it.

Junk-mail voting brought out all these new voters who had previously been disenfranchised by being required to actually get off their lazy asses and vote in person.

Now, now.

Just because Trump got 74 MILLION votes--almost 8 million more votes than the prior all-time high winner 4 years earlier (himself)--and Trump's all-time high was overshadowed by Biden by a staggering 7 MILLION votes, making Biden the winner with more that 12 MILLION VOTES more than the previous winner, is no reason to suspect fraud.

These things just magically happen and we must accept it.

Junk-mail voting brought out all these new voters who had previously been disenfranchised by being required to actually get off their lazy asses and vote in person.
Those republican state legislators really fucked up. LOL

Agendas that defy logic. The "green deal" that is driving up energy prices while the president sends oil to China and buys oil from criminal enterprises like Venezuela. Poor leadership. The president is a figurehead while the government is run by a shadow entity. The only thing the democrat party has left is the unrelenting support from the MSM but that is starting to crumble.

I think the answer is pretty simple mac. It's called right wing race baiting.

On top of that, whites are not the only people who vote. Democrats have remained competitive by utilizing a multicultural voting base and younger white voters. And as the nation becomes less white, this is the way democrats can win.
Whitey Bad!!! You never change the channel!! :auiqs.jpg:

Deliberately.

The establishment must get back to business as usual (stealing our money and laundering it overseas).
They did it because mail in normally favors the gop. But they failed to account for Trump telling the gop voters to avoid it.

The question is whether Trump was looking for an excuse as to why he lost to ... wait for it .... Joe Biden ... before or after he actually lost. LOL

OK, back to the OP

They did it because mail in normally favors the gop. But they failed to account for Trump telling the gop voters to avoid it.

The question is whether Trump was looking for an excuse as to why he lost to ... wait for it .... Joe Biden ... before or after he actually lost. LOL
So, Junk-Mail voting seriously fucked up the reliability of the vote count??

I agree.

"Why?" is a question that is no longer asked in American political discussion, perhaps because it risks honesty and self-reflection. We can't have THAT. Honest curiosity -- one of the most valuable of human traits, one that leads to great innovation and progress -- appears to be a characteristic that is dripping away from us by the day, causing our thought process to calcify. The results of that are clear.

Interesting piece here about where the Democrats are today. My question at the bottom.

"Gradually for decades, and then rapidly since the 2008 financial crisis, the Democrats have lost the loyalty of white Americans who are below the median income level and who live in rural America—that is, they have lost a large part of their original constituency. They have remained competitive partly by persuading many affluent and educated metropolitan voters, who tend to be liberal on social issues and conservative on economic ones—a category that used to dominate the liberal wing of the Republican Party, when it had a liberal wing—to switch parties.

"The congressional districts with the highest median incomes now overwhelmingly send Democrats to Congress. Michael Podhorzer, an analyst at the AFL-CIO, calls this set of changes in who votes for which party “the Great Reversal.” This isn’t just an American phenomenon; roughly the same dynamic is playing out all over the world."

So here is my "why" question: If the above is true and fair, WHY have the Democrats lost white voters like they have?

You know the answer Mac. After 2008 Obama took over and enacted his Transform America plan. He consistently attacked Police as Systemically Racist, founded Black Lives Matter, attacked the hard working small businessman (You didn't build that!) and wrecked healthcare. The DEMs aren't just losing lower income White voters, they are losing support across the board because Americans can be gullible but they aren't stupid.

• Buy time for demographics to take over and fight gerrymandering
I'm not so sure about the demographics. Hispanics are more conservative than Democrats assume, and are breaking away as we speak. Gerrymandering is an absolute catastrophe and must be addressed for any progress to be made..

• Move away from culture discussions to policy where democrats win
Absolutely. Personally, I put the Democrats' reliance on, and weaponization of, PC & Identity Politics at the top of the list of reasons this has happened. And I've formed that opinion simply by paying attention to what white people say.

• Move aggressively to shore up elderly support by shoring up their financial security and healthcare
You really would think they would own this already. I don't get it.

• Recapture the patriotism discussion by branding republicans as radically UnAmerican theocrats
This one drives me nuts. The Democrats do the exact OPPOSITE of what they should be doing when they criticize the flag or (most recently) the Fourth of July. They are just HANDING those things to the GOP. Instead of going against those very American institutions, they should be saying "That is MY flag, TOO. NOT YOURS. You can't have it."

• When all else fails start a war we can win and gain land - kidding. Kinda.
Yikes

Why are you complaining about things you voted for?

The ONLY party which has ever "stolen" an election is the Republican Party, in 2000. That gave us W, who started a 20 year war - which you lost, and crashed the economy, nearly taking down the world economy with it.
Yeah, that's why your lying media announced the polls in Florida were closed when part of the state was in the central time zone and still open. Nice try, butcher. Suck on a hanging chad.

For almost 50 years Republicans set up the system to offshore manufacturing & import cheap labor to break the back of labor, circumvent regulations & tax laws. Once the voters turned on them, they shifted the political heat to democrats. Because we can't flip a switch to shut down 50 years of offshoring, democrats have to defend the system until critical infrastructure is back onshore & they believe the Truman doctrine of global interdependence prevents WWIII.
Oh please. Employers went overseas because US labor was demanding too much.

And Trump tried to force them back by making it expensive to mftr offshore. After Reagan governed over the final demise of Unions and the Labor Vote of the New Deal. Ironic.

kudos for actually moving the thread back to generational trends.
^^^ knows only what is given in his daily media enema.

Woke is a loser.

Open borders is a loser.

Gun control is a loser.

Anti-patriotism is a loser.

Anti-Christian is a loser.

Anti-oil, coal and natural gas Global warming agenda is a loser.

Soft on crime is a loser.

"Birthing parent" is a loser.

"Not a biologist, can't define a what a woman is" is a loser.

Defending Chinese manufacturing over American manufacturing is a loser.

Defending tearing a baby limb from limb in the womb is a loser.

Being the party if the rich, liberal elite is a loser.

There are very few issues that the Democrats are on the right side of...and those are so far on the back burner, no one ever hears about them.

Because the forefront of the Dem agenda is Trans issues.

That's right...trans issues... :cuckoo:

Woke is a loser.

Open borders is a loser.

Gun control is a loser.

Anti-patriotism is a loser.

Anti-Christian is a loser.

Anti-oil, coal and natural gas Global warming agenda is a loser.

Soft on crime is a loser.

"Birthing parent" is a loser.

"Not a biologist, can't define a what a woman is" is a loser.

Defending Chinese manufacturing over American manufacturing is a loser.

Defending tearing a baby limb from limb in the womb is a loser.

Being the party if the rich, liberal elite is a loser.

There are very few issues that the Democrats are on the right side of...and those are so far on the back burner, no one ever hears about them.

Because the forefront of the Dem agenda is Trans issues.

That's right...trans issues... :cuckoo:
If only that were a necklace, to be draped around democrats necks, drowning them in their self made sea of failure.

Forum List

Back