"Democrats at a Crossroads" -- But WHY is that?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
"Why?" is a question that is no longer asked in American political discussion, perhaps because it risks honesty and self-reflection. We can't have THAT. Honest curiosity -- one of the most valuable of human traits, one that leads to great innovation and progress -- appears to be a characteristic that is dripping away from us by the day, causing our thought process to calcify. The results of that are clear.

Interesting piece here about where the Democrats are today. My question at the bottom.

"Gradually for decades, and then rapidly since the 2008 financial crisis, the Democrats have lost the loyalty of white Americans who are below the median income level and who live in rural America—that is, they have lost a large part of their original constituency. They have remained competitive partly by persuading many affluent and educated metropolitan voters, who tend to be liberal on social issues and conservative on economic ones—a category that used to dominate the liberal wing of the Republican Party, when it had a liberal wing—to switch parties.

"The congressional districts with the highest median incomes now overwhelmingly send Democrats to Congress. Michael Podhorzer, an analyst at the AFL-CIO, calls this set of changes in who votes for which party “the Great Reversal.” This isn’t just an American phenomenon; roughly the same dynamic is playing out all over the world."

So here is my "why" question: If the above is true and fair, WHY have the Democrats lost white voters like they have?

I'd love to see how those here who are Left of center would answer that.

"Why?" is a question that is no longer asked in American political discussion, perhaps because it risks honesty and self-reflection. We can't have THAT. Honest curiosity -- one of the most valuable of human traits, one that leads to great innovation and progress -- appears to be a characteristic that is dripping away from us by the day, causing our thought process to calcify. The results of that are clear.

Interesting piece here about where the Democrats are today. My question at the bottom.

"Gradually for decades, and then rapidly since the 2008 financial crisis, the Democrats have lost the loyalty of white Americans who are below the median income level and who live in rural America—that is, they have lost a large part of their original constituency. They have remained competitive partly by persuading many affluent and educated metropolitan voters, who tend to be liberal on social issues and conservative on economic ones—a category that used to dominate the liberal wing of the Republican Party, when it had a liberal wing—to switch parties.

"The congressional districts with the highest median incomes now overwhelmingly send Democrats to Congress. Michael Podhorzer, an analyst at the AFL-CIO, calls this set of changes in who votes for which party “the Great Reversal.” This isn’t just an American phenomenon; roughly the same dynamic is playing out all over the world."

So here is my "why" question: If the above is true and fair, WHY have the Democrats lost white voters like they have?

I think the answer is pretty simple mac. It's called right wing race baiting.

On top of that, whites are not the only people who vote. Democrats have remained competitive by utilizing a multicultural voting base and younger white voters. And as the nation becomes less white, this is the way democrats can win.

For almost 50 years Republicans set up the system to offshore manufacturing & import cheap labor to break the back of labor, circumvent regulations & tax laws. Once the voters turned on them, they shifted the political heat to democrats. Because we can't flip a switch to shut down 50 years of offshoring, democrats have to defend the system until critical infrastructure is back onshore & they believe the Truman doctrine of global interdependence prevents WWIII.

On top of that, whites are not the only people who vote. Democrats have remained competitive by utilizing a multicultural voting base and younger white voters. And as the nation becomes less white, this is the way democrats can win.
Nobody want's to live near a Black Pruitt-Igoe disaster.

It was the unholy combination in the 90's of the Clintons and Newt Gingrich and his "Republican Revolution" that began to radically shift the orbit of both parties. The Clinton purity test came in the form of big donations and the GOP one came in the form of bowing before the alter of Jerry Falwell, Inc., et als. and demanding loyalty cards be signed by people. It pushed more people toward the center and into "independent" status.

For almost 50 years Republicans set up the system to offshore manufacturing & import cheap labor to break the back of labor, circumvent regulations & tax laws. Once the voters turned on them, they shifted the political heat to democrats. Because we can't flip a switch to shut down 50 years of offshoring, democrats have to defend the system until critical infrastructure is back onshore & they believe the Truman doctrine of global interdependence prevents WWIII.
That's one helluva lift. Global wealth imbalances are still profound and feed into offshoring, etc.

It was the unholy combination in the 90's of the Clintons and Newt Gingrich and his "Republican Revolution" that began to radically shift the orbit of both parties. The Clinton purity test came in the form of big donations and the GOP one came in the form of bowing before the alter of Jerry Falwell, Inc., et als. and demanding loyalty cards be signed by people. It pushed more people toward the center and into "independent" status.
Do you look at that as the primary early driving factor of the tribalism we see today?

First the democrats have a hugely popular agenda. They have won every national election for 35 years except for the 9/11 bump Bush received. They just won by receiving more votes than any other election in history. Their policies poll exceptionally well.

Republicans have abandoned policy and are campaigning on protecting white culture and only white culture. This message aided by a favorable constitutional set up for rural states have kept them influential.

The rural low income and low information areas have overwhelmingly decided to abandon supporting policy that benefits them for white culture signaling.

That’s what has happened. Now, what to do about it?

• Buy time for demographics to take over and fight gerrymandering
  • Move away from culture discussions to policy where democrats win
  • Move aggressively to shore up elderly support by shoring up their financial security and healthcare
  • Recapture the patriotism discussion by branding republicans as radically UnAmerican theocrats
  • When all else fails start a war we can win and gain land - kidding. Kinda.

First the democrats have a hugely popular agenda. They have won every national election for 35 years except for the 9/11 bump Bush received. They just won by receiving more votes than any other election in history. Their policies poll exceptionally well.

Republicans have abandoned policy and are campaigning on protecting white culture and only white culture. This message aided by a favorable constitutional set up for rural states have kept them influential.

The rural low income and low information areas have overwhelmingly decided to abandon supporting policy that benefits them for white culture signaling.

• Move aggressively to shore up elderly support by shoring up their financial security and healthcare
  • Recapture the patriotism discussion by branding republicans as radically UnAmerican theocrats

Two things to start:

1. You still think demographics are destiny? You've seen the Hispanic numbers right? hahahah

2. Please, please, please please please please please bring your Blue State Soy Boys to Flyover Country to start that war. Oh. DO IT

I'm not so sure about the demographics. Hispanics are more conservative than Democrats assume, and are breaking away as we speak. Gerrymandering is an absolute catastrophe and must be addressed for any progress to be made..

Absolutely. Personally, I put the Democrats' reliance on, and weaponization of, PC & Identity Politics at the top of the list of reasons this has happened. And I've formed that opinion simply by paying attention to what white people say.

You really would think they would own this already. I don't get it.

This one drives me nuts. The Democrats do the exact OPPOSITE of what they should be doing when they criticize the flag or (most recently) the Fourth of July. They are just HANDING those things to the GOP. Instead of going against those very American institutions, they should be saying "That is MY flag, TOO. NOT YOURS. You can't have it."

Yikes

Living good seems to be something you seem as normal.

The above isn't true, and this has been EXPLAINED TO YOU MANY TIMES.

Democrats haven't carried a majority of white people since Lyndon Johnson in 1964.

The Republicans are very good at getting white people to vote against their own economic interests by playing on their racial, sexual, and religious fears.

Now, I suppose you miss the good old days when Slick Willy didn't stand for principle and was willing to sell out key constituencies to pander to white people, such as his slandering Hispanics with draconian border policies, engaging in mean-spirited welfare reform, and signing the noxious Defense of Marriage Act. He even threatened to dismantle Affirmative Action until Jesse Jackson threatened to run against him as a third party candidate. The reality is, you don't win elections by betraying your core voters.

This is why Hillary lost. Not because "White people felt alienated". Trump did less well with white people than the Weird Mormon Robot did. But because nobody liked the bitch, she was happy to engage in race baiting when it suited her. Blacks remembered how she did this kind of shit, they stayed home or voted for third parties, and Trump "won". Bernie Bros voted for Commie Jill Stein.

Last edited:

That works on the assumption that Hispanics and Asians continue to drink the Koolaid.

I had a recent discussion with one of my oldest friends. A gay Hispanic Lady, who told me she supported Trump. This is mostly, I think because her girlfriend supports Trump, but it's still fucking crazy.

Now, the Democrats need to do a much better job of messaging. Otherwise we get a Republican back in 2024 or 2028.

The best thing the Democrats will have going for them is WHEN Republicans retake Congress (more due to Gerrymandering than any popular acceptance), they'll remind the voters how crazy they are appealing to their base.

Forum List

Back