Damascus in Prophecy

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
Most of you are probably aware about the Prophecy of the destruction of Damascus. What I want to know is when does this event take place? Some think it will happen just before the Tribulation. Some think it will happen during the tribulation. Is there anyone who has studied this? I'd like to get some feedback on it.

You're too late, it already happened.
maxresdefault.jpg

What a nightmare how we humans destroy stuff to fill land dumps.

Well the current Russian/Syria/Iran alliance was established in the 90s so I lean towards pre-rapture.

• Banned
Most of you are probably aware about the Prophecy of the destruction of Damascus. What I want to know is when does this event take place? Some think it will happen just before the Tribulation. Some think it will happen during the tribulation. Is there anyone who has studied this? I'd like to get some feedback on it.
Why? You waiting for JeeeeZus to return? He gonna scoop you up in his white chariot and take you to Fuddruckers?
This is a discussion among believers. You are welcome as long as you behave yourself. You're not off to a good start. Let us know if you have anything intelligent to say, and we might consider replying.

Why? You waiting for JeeeeZus to return? He gonna scoop you up in his white chariot and take you to Fuddruckers?
This is a discussion among believers. You are welcome as long as you behave yourself. You're not off to a good start. Let us know if you have anything intelligent to say, and we might consider replying.
Oh my bad...didn't read the forum title. Sorry...will delete.

I assumed the Isaiah prophecy was referring to the 732 BC. destruction. I'll go back and read 17 again, see if I missed something. It wouldn't have been rocket science to predict a total Assyrian win in the wars of the time, after all.

https://emp.byui.edu/SatterfieldB/Rel 404/Historical Background of Time of Isaiah Ludlow.pdf

A critique of 'prophecy hobbyists' here:

The Isaiah 17 Damascus Bible prophecy has been fulfilled - The American Vision

One point in the link above is worth noting among others: I’ve written numerous articles about how modern-day prophecy writers twist and distort prophetic texts that end up being used by skeptics to call the authority of the Bible into question. Biblical skeptic Tim Callahan follows the arguments of today’s prophecy watchers and concludes along with them that the prophecy has not been fulfilled, thus, making it a false prophecy. He writes, Damascus “has been sacked numerous times, to be sure. But the prophecy explicitly states that it would cease to be a city forever, and the prophecy is explicitly wrong. Curiously, neither Gleason Archer6 nor Josh McDowell7 mentions this failed prophecy.”8 The reason is quite clear as why they don’t. The Hebrew text does not include the word “forever” in 17:2. More about this issue below.

Last edited:
But the prophecy explicitly states that it would cease to be a city forever, and the prophecy is explicitly wrong. Curiously, neither Gleason Archer6 nor Josh McDowell7 mentions this failed prophecy.”8 The reason is quite clear as why they don’t. The Hebrew text does not include the word “forever” in 17:2.

this appears to be correct, at least re the cites at Bible Gateway, and in the context of Isaiah 16 and 18.

An interesting take on the historical context of the Damascus prophecy here.

Aram, Assyria, Babylon: The Structure of Isaiah

"
Three waves of Gentiles flood Judah in the book of Isaiah.

The first threat is from Aram and Israel, from Syria and the Northern kingdom. Assyria is the rising power to the east, and that power is threatening to overrun the nations to the west of Assyria. The kings of Aram and Israel want to resist the Assyrians, and so they form an alliance against the Assyrian empire (Isaiah 7-8) and they want to bully Judah into joining that alliance."

"This was the biggest crisis of Isaiah’s lifetime, and this event is at the very center of the prophecy of Isaiah. Israel was already destroyed, and it would never recover. The northern kingdom never had a return from exile like the Southern kingdom would have. No dynasty of the Northern kingdom was restored. It’s speculation, but if Assyria were to take the southern kingdom, it might well mean the death of the Southern kingdom."

"
The Aramean threat doesn’t do much damage. They will not succeed in their plans. This is the thrust of the prophecy of Immanuel to Ahaz. Damascus, the capital of Syria/Aram, will not prevail over Jerusalem, and Samaria’s head will not be able to overcome the head of Judah, who is Yahweh.

But the promise that the Aramean threat will be broken is shadowed by another threat, the threat of the second enemy, Assyria. The same prophecy and sign of Immanuel not only signifies the deliverance of Judah from Aram/Israel, but also the threat of the Assyrian invasion, which will be much more devastating than the Aram/Israel threat."

The chiastic structure of the book of Isaiah is interesting, one of the more interesting, in fact, for those inclined to look into it.

Thanks for posting the topic; I learn something nearly every day from some of them.

"

The first threat is from Aram and Israel, from Syria and the Northern kingdom. Assyria is the rising power to the east, and that power is threatening to overrun the nations to the west of Assyria. The kings of Aram and Israel want to resist the Assyrians, and so they form an alliance against the Assyrian empire (Isaiah 7-8) and they want to bully Judah into joining that alliance."

"This was the biggest crisis of Isaiah’s lifetime, and this event is at the very center of the prophecy of Isaiah. Israel was already destroyed, and it would never recover. The northern kingdom never had a return from exile like the Southern kingdom would have. No dynasty of the Northern kingdom was restored. It’s speculation, but if Assyria were to take the southern kingdom, it might well mean the death of the Southern kingdom."

"
The Aramean threat doesn’t do much damage. They will not succeed in their plans. This is the thrust of the prophecy of Immanuel to Ahaz. Damascus, the capital of Syria/Aram, will not prevail over Jerusalem, and Samaria’s head will not be able to overcome the head of Judah, who is Yahweh.

But the promise that the Aramean threat will be broken is shadowed by another threat, the threat of the second enemy, Assyria. The same prophecy and sign of Immanuel not only signifies the deliverance of Judah from Aram/Israel, but also the threat of the Assyrian invasion, which will be much more devastating than the Aram/Israel threat."

The chiastic structure of the book of Isaiah is interesting, one of the more interesting, in fact, for those inclined to look into it.
Isaiah spans some 300 years of prophecy, from before the Assyrian invasion to after the Babylonian conquest. At least three different prophets contributed to it. But like other prophetic books, it is not chronological, which is a shame; it can be confusing.

But Josephus, in hindsight, affirms the fulfilled prophecy in The Antiquities of the Jews. He says that Syria was laid waste (9.12.3).

"

"

Isaiah spans some 300 years of prophecy, from before the Assyrian invasion to after the Babylonian conquest. At least three different prophets contributed to it. But like other prophetic books, it is not chronological, which is a shame; it can be confusing.

But Josephus, in hindsight, affirms the fulfilled prophecy in The Antiquities of the Jews. He says that Syria was laid waste (9.12.3).

From reading in that section, the order the authors, compilers, whoever, it makes sense the way they arranged the stories, even if not chronological, at least to my eye, though. It's a complex book in the way it's set up.

I'm not that much up on Josephus, so I don't have anything to add to that. Is he referring to the 732 B.C. invasion in his commentaries?

In any case, I found out what Isaiah's name translates into, something I didn't know before, interesting in itself.

Last edited:

"

"

From reading in that section, the order the authors, compilers, whoever, it makes sense the way they arranged the stories, even if not chronological, at least to my eye, though. It's a complex book in the way it's set up.

I'm not that much up on Josephus, so I don't have anything to add to that. Is he referring to the 732 B.C. invasion in his commentaries?

In any case, I found out what Isaiah's name translates into, something I didn't know before, interesting in itself.
Yes, Josephus is referring to the invasion in the eighth century BC, when King Rezin ruled Syria from Damascus.

Damascus rebuilt, of course, and then the Romans sacked it a few centuries later.

I assumed the Isaiah prophecy was referring to the 732 BC. destruction. I'll go back and read 17 again, see if I missed something. It wouldn't have been rocket science to predict a total Assyrian win in the wars of the time, after all.

https://emp.byui.edu/SatterfieldB/Rel 404/Historical Background of Time of Isaiah Ludlow.pdf

A critique of 'prophecy hobbyists' here:

The Isaiah 17 Damascus Bible prophecy has been fulfilled - The American Vision

One point in the link above is worth noting among others: I’ve written numerous articles about how modern-day prophecy writers twist and distort prophetic texts that end up being used by skeptics to call the authority of the Bible into question. Biblical skeptic Tim Callahan follows the arguments of today’s prophecy watchers and concludes along with them that the prophecy has not been fulfilled, thus, making it a false prophecy. He writes, Damascus “has been sacked numerous times, to be sure. But the prophecy explicitly states that it would cease to be a city forever, and the prophecy is explicitly wrong. Curiously, neither Gleason Archer6 nor Josh McDowell7 mentions this failed prophecy.”8 The reason is quite clear as why they don’t. The Hebrew text does not include the word “forever” in 17:2. More about this issue below.
The prophecy has not been fulfilled yet. That doesn't mean it won't be. I believe the Prophecy mentions an invasion of Israel, and some of it's northern cities falling. It then states that Damascus is destroyed in a single night, along with surrounding towns and villages. I can think of nothing that could accomplish that except modern weapons. Specifically, nukes, which Israel has.

Thanks for posting the topic; I learn something nearly every day from some of them.
Here's something you might find interesting. Atheists love to point to this as an example of failed prophecy. But after reading this, one can only conclude that it is probably the most amazing and accurate prophecy in all of Scripture. It is a prophecy in several parts, and each part was fulfilled to the letter.

Tyre in Prophecy

Last edited:
Not that I wish to rain on your parade but this topic has been discussed previously and Damascus was destroyed and the people living there were removed to the city of Kir many many years ago and forever is misinterpreted from the Torah by those who reinterpreted the scriptures at a later date..Now that being said I would like to point out a few more things one that prophecy has three layers to it as Michael has pointed out many times meaning that there can be a certain repeat but that it will follow in a slightly different scenario and the other point that all of you should keep in mind is: That ancient Israel used to control the lands in Syria and they are part of the land of Israel however no Jews are living there today so the scenario of invasions and reinvasions can occur in this part of Israel but it may not affect the small truncated little area of Israel where the Jews live today... You should all keep that in mind as you watch the events unfold in Syria...

Not that I wish to rain on your parade but this topic has been discussed previously and Damascus was destroyed and the people living there were removed to the city of Kir many many years ago and forever is misinterpreted from the Torah by those who reinterpreted the scriptures at a later date..Now that being said I would like to point out a few more things one that prophecy has three layers to it as Michael has pointed out many times meaning that there can be a certain repeat but that it will follow in a slightly different scenario and the other point that all of you should keep in mind is: That ancient Israel used to control the lands in Syria and they are part of the land of Israel however no Jews are living there today so the scenario of invasions and reinvasions can occur in this part of Israel but it may not affect the small truncated little area of Israel where the Jews live today... You should all keep that in mind as you watch the events unfold in Syria...

I can find no English translations that include 'forever' in their texts, so there is no misinterpreting I can find in any version I can find, NIV, NASB, or any other so far, just in the minds of some readers. In fact I'm curious as to where they get it from given it isn't in the texts themselves.

Forum List

Back