Cutting the cord

Pop23

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2013
The barstool down yonder
I'm not sure what frustrated me more, paying a monthly cable bill, or dealing with service people that's standard solution to every problem was to either reboot the cable box or the router/modem (even after telling them I'd already done either 3 times before even calling).

Anywho, I finally have decided to give the local cable company the boot, installed an antenna in the attic and will survive on free over the air television, netflix and what other content I can get via the net.

If there are others out there that have done this and have any suggestions for content, feel free to share them with me.

The antenna is placed in my attic and the picture quality on the local stations is absolutely stunning. With the cheapo 35 buck antenna I am pulling in ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and a few others, so I get the basic content plus local news. I was pretty surprised at some of the stations I am pulling in as the web services I checked said I would need a much more powerfull antenna, mounted much higher than just in my attic, to get them, but they are chrystal clear.

Anyway, any ideas on how to get some more content would be appreciated!

Is Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime worth the extra cost? Should I get a dedicated computer just for content? If so, what would you suggest. I figure I should be saving roughly $900 the first year, so it would be worth it (the computer) to have more content easily available.

Service call center people have a script. They are not allowed to deviate from the script even if you have already done all the tasks on the first five pages of the script.

As for online streaming content, Netflix rocks. Although for the past year, Netflix has been seriously lagging between the time the season ends for an on air show and it shows up on Netflix. Doctor Who has not had a new installment in a year and a half. Neither has Mad Men or Psych. Startin' to piss me off.

I use Netflix to watch TV series which have completed their entire run. Right now, I am watching The 4400. Worst theme song ever, and not something I would ever have watched on air. I like being able to watch several episodes in a row without having to wait a week between each one.

A lot of good movies available on streaming Netflix.

Amazon Prime is not worth the cost if you are just getting it for video. They are way behind Netflix. But if you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, then Prime is worth the cost for the free shipping.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what frustrated me more, paying a monthly cable bill, or dealing with service people that's standard solution to every problem was to either reboot the cable box or the router/modem (even after telling them I'd already done either 3 times before even calling).

Anywho, I finally have decided to give the local cable company the boot, installed an antenna in the attic and will survive on free over the air television, netflix and what other content I can get via the net.

If there are others out there that have done this and have any suggestions for content, feel free to share them with me.

The antenna is placed in my attic and the picture quality on the local stations is absolutely stunning. With the cheapo 35 buck antenna I am pulling in ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and a few others, so I get the basic content plus local news. I was pretty surprised at some of the stations I am pulling in as the web services I checked said I would need a much more powerfull antenna, mounted much higher than just in my attic, to get them, but they are chrystal clear.

Is Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime worth the extra cost? Should I get a dedicated computer just for content? If so, what would you suggest. I figure I should be saving roughly $900 the first year, so it would be worth it (the computer) to have more content easily available.

you can get direct tv over the internet

our main tv is also internet ready so it uses the wireless in the house

i have been "off cable" for over a year now

and i could not be happier

Good for you pops. We dumped cable several months ago and don't miss it a bit.

I did get a Roku box that has a lot of free programming on it, plus I use it to access my Netflix account. I could also put up an antenna but I don't think it would be worth the investment for me. The nearest network affiliate is 60 miles from here.

I can stream one local news channel broadcast, as well as the WGN (Chicago) news broadcast.

I'm good. :thup:

Lots of sports here: Wiziwig.tv | Free Live Sports Streams on your PC. Watch Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and more...

I have been watching live Olympic events, rather the canned hash NBC is serving for a couple hours in the evening.

Good for you pops. We dumped cable several months ago and don't miss it a bit.

I did get a Roku box that has a lot of free programming on it, plus I use it to access my Netflix account. I could also put up an antenna but I don't think it would be worth the investment for me. The nearest network affiliate is 60 miles from here.

I can stream one local news channel broadcast, as well as the WGN (Chicago) news broadcast.

I'm good. :thup:

We dumped cable several months ago and don't miss it a bit.

that is the one thing the cable providers forgot

that there is a lot of other options out there these days

Dedicated PC for TV

How to Turn an Old PC into a Home Media Server | Digital Trends

Linux Media Center software.

Using Your Linux Computer As A Media Center (Part 1)

You don't need an expensive PC to make it work, inexpensive used ones are best.

Dedicated PC for TV

What about bandwidth draw?

I don't have cable.

I have Netflix. It is worth it.

I tried out Amazon prime for a month...yes, I think it's probably worth it just because it's really EASY to get the pay-per stuff up on your big screen. I mean, I watched the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey...then I paid for the first 2 episodes of this year's...using Prime. So it didn't PAY for it, but it made it easy for me to get it, lol.

I don't know about hulu plus. I loved hulu the first couple of years...but since they've had hulu plus I haven't even messed with it.

Service call center people have a script. They are not allowed to deviate from the script even if you have already done all the tasks on the first five pages of the script.

As for online streaming content, Netflix rocks. Although for the past year, Netflix has been seriously lagging between the time the season ends for an on air show and it shows up on Netflix. Doctor Who has not had a new installment in a year and a half. Neither has Mad Men or Psych. Startin' to piss me off.

I use Netflix to watch TV series which have completed their entire run. Right now, I am watching The 4400. Worst theme song ever, and not something I would ever have watched on air. I like being able to watch several episodes in a row without having to wait a week between each one.

Amazon Prime is not worth the cost if you are just getting it for video. They are way behind Netflix. But if you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, then Prime is worth the cost for the free shipping.

Netflix rocks. My wife got me hooked on "Bomber Girls", "The Glades", "The Finder" and "Foyles War". We started "House of Cards" second season last night and get to watch one show a night, not wait a week which is great; we also enjoyed "Longmire" and "Cooper" as well as most of the Masterpiece Mystery - most being detective stories.

The down side is TV is causing me to fall back on my reading.

Dedicated PC for TV

What about bandwidth draw?
Hardwire the computer to the router, don't use wireless. It cuts way down on the draw and drain. Cat6 works best.

Netflix rocks. My wife got me hooked on "Bomber Girls", "The Glades", "The Finder" and "Foyles War". We started "House of Cards" second season last night and get to watch one show a night, not wait a week which is great; we also enjoyed "Longmire" and "Cooper" as well as most of the Masterpiece Mystery - most being detective stories.

Wry you mean Copper dont ya?.....Longmire is a good show.....

Yep, sorry. Copper season 1 was good - we like period shows. We've yet to see season 2

Yep, sorry. Copper season 1 was good - we like period shows. We've yet to see season 2
season 2 was good too....have you checked out Ripper Street?...its another period Cop show....this one takes place in London shortly after the Jack the Ripper killings....it involves 2 English Detectives and an American Doctor who used to be a Pinkerton Detective....its pretty good too, you and the wife would probably like this one too....the second season begins for me this Sat on the BBC America station.....

Thanks for all the great info. Picked up a Roku tonight. Lots to absorb. Will try most.

Just amazed at the picture. Always thought I was getting a great picture before. Pfffffft, OTA is incredible.

Thanks for all the great info. Picked up a Roku tonight. Lots to absorb. Will try most.

Just amazed at the picture. Always thought I was getting a great picture before. Pfffffft, OTA is incredible.

i have AT&T U-Verse....comes through the phone line.....have had it 3 years now....has never gone down and no problems.....so far....

I've only heard of three of those shows.

If you like House of Cards, watch the original BBC series. It is even better.

I could not get into Copper. Didn't much care for it.

I watched some of Longmire just to get a feel for it. I plan on watching more, but other shows are higher on my priority list.

I must say I was impressed by Lou Diamond Phillips' performance in Longmire. He's always struck me as an overacting jackass, but he was the exact opposite in that show. So kudos to him.

In the Longmire/Copper vein, I much prefer Justified.

I have the exact same guilty feelings! Netflix is the devil!

Last edited:

Pop23, I bought two Rokus ( a couple of years ago ) for my widescreens and had my cable disconnected. I loved all the hundreds of apps, and caught Netflix and Pandora, there, too. Everything is available from today, to the classics of the 50's. All the news shows are available, but you have to wait one day to see the clips from the previous day usually.. For that reason alone, I went back to cable, with two DVRs and now I never watch anything with my Roku...:( Hulu Plus was something that can be watched on TV and Internet but regular Hulu, is just on the computer, if I am remembering it all correctly. ) I did try Hulu Plus at a stiff price and didn't enjoy it, as I felt Netflix had a better user interface and better selections. I only needed one or the other. Why pay for both? Netflix through Roku still costs that monthly fee, of 7.99, at the time. Most apps are free.

I do have a wireless connection with TVs in two rooms and all programs were almost as good and clear as my HD. Mostly, one could not tell the difference. I love Roku! And now Roku 3 is available.

I still have all of the above and may go back to it, some day. Right now I have such a good deal on my bundled phone, Internet and expanded cable with DVRs and it only comes to $106. a month, though in a few months that will increase by $44.00. I got in on a great offer, last year.

Best of luck...Poppers! :D :D

Pop23, I bought two Rokus ( a couple of years ago ) for my widescreens and had my cable disconnected. I loved all the hundreds of apps, and caught Netflix and Pandora, there, too. Everything is available from today, to the classics of the 50's. All the news shows are available, but you have to wait one day to see the clips from the previous day usually.. For that reason alone, I went back to cable, with two DVRs and now I never watch anything with my Roku...:( Hulu Plus was something that can be watched on TV and Internet but regular Hulu, is just on the computer, if I am remembering it all correctly. ) I did try Hulu Plus at a stiff price and didn't enjoy it, as I felt Netflix had a better user interface and better selections. I only needed one or the other. Why pay for both? Netflix through Roku still costs that monthly fee, of 7.99, at the time. Most apps are free.

I do have a wireless connection with TVs in two rooms and all programs were almost as good and clear as my HD. Mostly, one could not tell the difference. I love Roku! And now Roku 3 is available.

I still have all of the above and may go back to it, some day. Right now I have such a good deal on my bundled phone, Internet and expanded cable with DVRs and it only comes to $106. a month, though in a few months that will increase by $44.00. I got in on a great offer, last year.

Best of luck...Poppers! :D :D

I did try Hulu Plus at a stiff price and didn't enjoy it

i didnt care for hulu myself

Forum List

Back