Could all Religions Come Together?

oh---you TRIED to convert to Judaism and "THEY"
would not let you? Do you know the history of
of the catholic church and how it viewed persons
AND THEIR COMMUNITIES involved in conversion to Judaism?--- uhm----we speak from EXPERIENCE
You misunderstand. I did not try to convert to Judaism, I was giving people I knew who wish to convert an assist. For example, it was vital they understand that there have been many, many times Christians have shown up at Jewish synagogues saying they want to convert...meaning not that they want to convert to Judaism, they want to convert Jews to Christianity. (Notice the sly lie?) I recommend they first study Judaism, be open and honest about their faith history, and be intent on only Judaism when they are on the premises. If they think they can be a little Jewish and a little Christian (seeing if they can pick and choose the best of both, I am forthright in telling them they cannot. I go to Jewish service and rites with them until they make acquaintances for themselves among that community.

1) You spoke of people “lost to Judaism,” as if Jews are somehow lost. We are exactly where G-d wants us.
Of course you are where God wants you. There are also people (like in EVERY faith) who have lost their way. It happens.

You misunderstand. I did not try to convert to Judaism, I was giving people I knew who wish to convert an assist. For example, it was vital they understand that there have been many, many times Christians have shown up at Jewish synagogues saying they want to convert...meaning not that they want to convert to Judaism, they want to convert Jews to Christianity. (Notice the sly lie?) I recommend they first study Judaism, be open and honest about their faith history, and be intent on only Judaism when they are on the premises. If they think they can be a little Jewish and a little Christian (seeing if they can pick and choose the best of both, I am forthright in telling them they cannot. I go to Jewish service and rites with them until they make acquaintances for themselves among that community.
I am familiar with the sly lie as are the rabbis. I do
not understand your allusion to "a little jewish and
a little christian" -----the idea is MUCH USED---there
are whole organizations DEVOTED TO IT--ostensibly

2) You said that Jews are not welcoming to those who seek to belong to their faith. That is completely wrong, and we welcome them fully. We simply don’t proselytize.
Again, not my experience. Politely treating people as outsiders and charging them additional fees does not create that feeling of being fully welcoming. It may be customary and quite understandable, but it still makes those seeking to convert as feeling not quite good enough--and never will be due to the issue of their birth outside of Judaism.

So, no, I am not being insulting, but direct in defining the bumps one might expect. If one is willing to surmount these bumps, then they don't want conversion to Judaism badly enough.

Judaism " So you want to become Jewish? Well, O.k., but you need to be very serious about it as it is no easy matter"

Christianity - " have you heard the good news?"

Islam " Submit or die!"
It could be your example of Islam, "Submit or die" can be better compared to some Christians declaring, "Accept Jesus as Lord and Savior or you are going to hell."

I am around quite a few people of the Muslim faith. Their place of worship is right down the street. Not one of them has ever come up to me and said, "Submit or die." Certainly, the prophet, Muhammad, never taught this.

What?? Christians show up at synagogues with the intent to convert Jews away from their religion? We have a word for that in Yiddish……

….CHUTZPAH!

What?? Christians show up at synagogues with the intent to convert Jews away from their religion? We have a word for that in Yiddish……

….CHUTZPAH!
Throw in 'Ignorance' and it about sums it up. And I am speaking of ignorance of both Judaism and of their own Christianity.

Again, not my experience. Politely treating people as outsiders and charging them additional fees does not create that feeling of being fully welcoming. It may be customary and quite understandable, but it still makes those seeking to convert as feeling not quite good enough--and never will be due to the issue of their birth outside of Judaism.

So, no, I am not being insulting, but direct in defining the bumps one might expect. If one is willing to surmount these bumps, then they don't want conversion to Judaism badly enough.
Charging additional fees? The only thing I can think of is that MEMBERS get a subsidized charge for events, and non-members pay the full price. It’s not whether you’re Jewish or not.

It‘s like this: I am a member of the Smithsonian Associates, for which I pay an annual fee. In return, I pay the member-price for various classes and outings. If I drop my membership, I can still go to classes, but I’d have to pay more. It’s simply a way to encourage membership while also covering expenses.

That said, you would never be charged to attend a service.

That said, you would never be charged to attend a service.
Yes, I know. I also know the membership fee is quite high, so I recommend people save up for a year while attending services. Again, fees are quite understandable, but it can come as a shock when compared to weekly Christian collections, which is why I recommend saving up for a year to those in the lower income brackets--which is not too much to ask. A year also gives them time to pray and mull over whether or not they are serious about the faith.

Yes, I know. I also know the membership fee is quite high, so I recommend people save up for a year while attending services. Again, fees are quite understandable, but it can come as a shock when compared to weekly Christian collections, which is why I recommend saving up for a year to those in the lower income brackets--which is not too much to ask. A year also gives them time to pray and mull over whether or not they are serious about the faith.
Except all synagogues have sliding scales for low-income, and nobody knows who it is. NOBODY is ever turned away for financial reasons.

And as I said, nobody is ever turned away from worshipping. But if everyone went “for free,” how would the synagogue pay for itd expenses - the building, utilities, upkeep and repair, salaries, etc., etc.

Your resentment toward the way Jews do things, as if we make it hard on low-income who might not be comfortable with the fees when in fact there is a sliding scale - is coming out.

Your resentment toward the way Jews do things, as if we make it hard on low-income who might not be comfortable with the fees when in fact there is a sliding scale - is coming out.
Your mistake. I am not resentful. Far from it. I don't know about all people, but the people I know are not interested in introducing themselves by asking for a discount. It might be something they would consider asking for after they fully converted if the fees and their wages continued to be a hardship. Meanwhile, along with good intentions, best foot forward.

To do that we’d have to abandon the god delusion and adopt something like Buddhism, a religion with no god.
I am speaking of those who have faith in God. We love God, and we are called to love one another. For a day can we unite in worship of God. Buddhists would not be interested because they (or most) have no belief in God.

I am speaking of those who have faith in God. We love God, and we are called to love one another. For a day can we unite in worship of God. Buddhists would not be interested because they (or most) have no belief in God.
Believe in the Sky Fairy if you wish, but don’t disparage those who can be good people without being commanded.

It could be your example of Islam, "Submit or die" can be better compared to some Christians declaring, "Accept Jesus as Lord and Savior or you are going to hell."
nope---no comparison (as least not in the 20th and 21st century)

I am around quite a few people of the Muslim faith. Their place of worship is right down the street. Not one of them has ever come up to me and said, "Submit or die." Certainly, the prophet, Muhammad, never taught this.
ok----you never read the koran, probably have very
little experience in mosques. Hubby was born in a
shariah shit hole----feel free to ask questions

Let's start with the three Abrahamic faiths. How might we come together?
Only Gnostic Christianity and Islam's esoteric branch can unite the Abrahamic creeds.

Jews, mostly, never believed in the supernatural, so they should not be a problem.

All just need to put God where he belongs, beneath man and our servant.

Jesus asked in the bible, have ye forgotten that ye are Gods?

Most have and it will take a Gnostic Christian influence on the God religions to bring them to their greatest potential.

The potential they lost with supernatural based poor beliefs.

Regards
DL

Your mistake. I am not resentful. Far from it. I don't know about all people, but the people I know are not interested in introducing themselves by asking for a discount. It might be something they would consider asking for after they fully converted if the fees and their wages continued to be a hardship. Meanwhile, along with good intentions, best foot forward.
Well there’s nothing to stop someone from converting to Judaism and not officially joining ANY synagogue. If they just want to go on the High Holidays, they can just buy a ticket for that, and then go occasionally on Shabbat if that’s all they’re looking for.

But if they intend to be fully participating members and gaining from the beauty of the services and the religion on a regular basis - say, going to Shabbat services every Saturday and then enjoying the Kiddush lunch, it’s only right that they contribute toward that.

I know it’s a different system of financing the house of worship thwn what Christians use, but that doesn’t mean it’s not as good. Just different.

Forum List

Back