Colorado baker told to bake that cake

Not at all. Not everyone should be served. A rude customer should be thrown out on his ear.

But the law is pretty clear who you can and cannot discriminate against. In some states, you can't discriminate against gays. Other states you can.

No states have political affiliation as a protected class.
You're contradicting yourself again (I'm shocked!). You've argued several times that the point of anti-discrimination laws are to ensure that everyone is treated equally. I guess that's only on Thursdays.

In any case, you don't even understand the concept of protected classes. They don't identify groups of people who can't be discriminated against. They identify traits that can't be used as a basis for discrimination. For example, the laws don't say you can't discriminate against gays. They say you can't discriminate against people based on sexual orientation. But you can discriminate against them because of the way they dress or talk, or because they smell funny, or have a weird last name. Even if they're gay.

You're contradicting yourself again (I'm shocked!). You've argued several times that the point of anti-discrimination laws are to ensure that everyone is treated equally. I guess that's only on Thursdays.

The point is, the laws have to be ON THE BOOKS. A gay person has no protections in TN because sexual orientaiton is not protected. Neither is political affiliation.

See how that works. There has to actually BE a law.

In any case, you don't even understand the concept of protected classes. They don't identify groups of people who can't be discriminated against. They identify traits that can't be used as a basis for discrimination. For example, the laws don't say you can't discriminate against gays. They say you can't discriminate against people based on sexual orientation. But you can discriminate against them because of the way they dress or talk, or because they smell funny, or have a weird last name. Even if they're gay.

And good luck with that when you try to make that argument in court.

The point is, the laws have to be ON THE BOOKS. A gay person has no protections in TN because sexual orientaiton is not protected. Neither is political affiliation.

Yes, yes. You're very excited about law and order. I get it. Fascists usually are.

His defence is the ridiculous religous freedom one that he used to deny a gay couple a cake a few yesrs ago. What does the bible say about trannys ?

It seems that a common link in these bigot cases is well funded extremist laawyers. These bigots never refuse cakes for adulterers or criminals or people who eat shellfish.

They make me sick to my stomach.
His defense is not ridiculous. People have the right to be bigots.

Not at all. Not everyone should be served. A rude customer should be thrown out on his ear.

But the law is pretty clear who you can and cannot discriminate against. In some states, you can't discriminate against gays. Other states you can.

No states have political affiliation as a protected class.
Just say you are a Left Wing freelance comedy writer and you write sketches for $1,000. A conservative comes up to up and wants you to write a comedy sketch. You say yes. They say the sketch involves Obama and Biden in stockings bumming each other whilst a transgender female drags her penis over their faces. By the way, when it is aired, your name will come up in the credits. Of course you are going to lie and say you would write it.

Just say you are a Left Wing freelance comedy writer and you write sketches for $1,000. A conservative comes up to up and wants you to write a comedy sketch. You say yes. They say the sketch involves Obama and Biden in stockings bumming each other whilst a transgender female drags her penis over their faces. By the way, when it is aired, your name will come up in the credits. Of course you are going to lie and say you would write it.

Um, a couple problems with your scenario.

The first one is that my name would be on the credits.

The second is that anyone could actually write the sketch you describe and make it funny.

But let's focus on the first one. If the argument is people would know that you made the cake/wrote the skit, then no one would know you made the cake.

Now, I have prepared documents for Trumpsters, Libertarians and other right wing nuts.

And I do the best job that I can, without any discrimination.

Um, a couple problems with your scenario.

The first one is that my name would be on the credits.

The second is that anyone could actually write the sketch you describe and make it funny.

But let's focus on the first one. If the argument is people would know that you made the cake/wrote the skit, then no one would know you made the cake.

Now, I have prepared documents for Trumpsters, Libertarians and other right wing nuts.

And I do the best job that I can, without any discrimination.
Two things, your name would go on the credits, I own the sketch. Secondly, you would refuse to make the sketch based on your beliefs, just like the baker and the cake.

There's a phrase to describe your arguement, "Full of shit".

And good luck with that when you try to make that argument in court.
The Court wrote that argument. It was the tortured logic they used to work around the obvious violation of equal protection inherent in these idiotic laws.

The Court wrote that argument. It was the tortured logic they used to work around the obvious violation of equal protection inherent in these idiotic laws.

Actually, not tortured at all.

If something is illegal if you do it "because I feel like it" then it should be equally illegal because, "My Imaginary Friend in the Sky said so".

Otherwise, you'd have chaos. Hey, you just caught me over the bleeding corpse of my ex-boss? Well guess what, I'm a follower of the Aztec Religion, which allows me to sacrifice my enemies!

Equal protection means exactly that... that someone who is gay, or black, or transgender or Mormon, should have the same access to public utilities that I enjoy as a straight, cisgendered, white male.

Actually, not tortured at all.

If something is illegal if you do it "because I feel like it" then it should be equally illegal because, "My Imaginary Friend in the Sky said so".

Otherwise, you'd have chaos. Hey, you just caught me over the bleeding corpse of my ex-boss? Well guess what, I'm a follower of the Aztec Religion, which allows me to sacrifice my enemies!

Equal protection means exactly that... that someone who is gay, or black, or transgender or Mormon, should have the same access to public utilities that I enjoy as a straight, cisgendered, white male.
WTF are you talking about? You don't seem to be responding to my post at all so, you know, cool story bro!

WTF are you talking about? You don't seem to be responding to my post at all so, you know, cool story bro!

sure I did... if you weren't a libertarian child, you'd get the point.

We can't have a society where you can ignore laws because God said so... for no other reason than no one can actually call God and find out what he really thinks.

Yeah. Mutable and shit! Or immutable. Whatever. Stupid on stupid.

People born with provable traits such as race or sex, should never be discriminated against.

If you create a trait, a fetish, society should have every right to ignore you.

Forum List

Back