Collins: "Can Not Believe" Democrats Won't Pass Coronavirus Relief Bill; "Is This What We've Come To?"

As soon as Republicans agree to no stock buyback for corporations it's a done deal.

Bullshit.

I suggest you read the bill as I have before continuing your ignorant bloviating. You delivering groceries to food stores yet?

Read the bill all you want, but you don't put that much pork in a bill with the expectation you will have to settle on just one pet project. What you're doing is saying the Democrats will go along with just one item on their list. There is no truth to that. Democrats would not agree to it if it had half of their pork included.

Dems want a bill that isnt full of RW special project funding -

Can you name the RW special projects or is this pure BS?
Munchkins slush fund and not limiting corps using money for stock buy backs are the two biggest.

Stock buybacks make executives and board members wealthier...... as well as 401(k) and pensions. Somehow, Liberals can’t get past the executives and board members getting wealthier so they fuck the rank and file and make them suffer with losses.

She is one of the straighter shooters in Congress

the Democrats are playing politics and pushing agenda driven goodies when it is time to work together

they will be punished at the polls

Big League

Sen. Susan Collins said Monday on the Senate floor that she "can not believe that the answer" to the coronavirus crisis from Senate Democrats "is delay, delay, delay. No sense of urgency."

"Never have I seen Republicans and Democrats fail to come together when confronted with a crisis."

"Is that what we’ve come to?" Collins said, criticizing Democrats over the delay.

"We don’t have another day. We don’t have another hour. We don’t have another minute to delay acting."
Thats because its a corporate slush fund, rather than helping people in communities.
One only needs to look at their history of stock buy-backs to know what will be done with the money these corporations get.

Need to make sure taxpayer dollars actually go to those who need it.

Too bad for you that people who can actually read - and made the time to do so - aren't buying the talking points you were handed.
Here is another reason:
The Republican bill would let small businesses borrow up to $10 million, and those loans would then be forgiven for any business that avoids cuts in jobs or wages. That’s a fair deal. But Republicans are proposing different rules for big businesses. Recipients of government bailouts would be required to avoid job or wage cuts only “to the extent practicable” — a loophole so large it amounts to a lack of any meaningful obligation.

And, a reminder of what a slush fund is:

A slush fund, also called a black fund, is a fund or account that is not properly accounted, such as money used for corrupt or illegal purposes, especially in the political sphere.[1] Such funds may be kept hidden and maintained separately from money that is used for legitimate purposes. Slush funds may be employed by government or corporate officials in efforts to pay influential people discreetly in return for preferential treatment, advance information (such as non-public information in financial transactions), and other services.[2] The funds themselves may not be kept secret but the source of the funds or how they were acquired or for what purposes they are used may be hidden. Use of slush funds to influence government activities may be viewed as subversive of the democratic process.

Can you name the RW special projects or is this pure BS?
Munchkins slush fund and not limiting corps using money for stock buy backs are the two biggest.

Stock buybacks make executives and board members wealthier...... as well as 401(k) and pensions. Somehow, Liberals can’t get past the executives and board members getting wealthier so they fuck the rank and file and make them suffer with losses.

When you remind the left that their own base has trillions in retirement and pension funds invested in corporations they shit a brick.

the Democrats are playing politics and pushing agenda driven goodies when it is time to work together

Big League

Sen. Susan Collins said Monday on the Senate floor that she "can not believe that the answer" to the coronavirus crisis from Senate Democrats "is delay, delay, delay. No sense of urgency."

"Never have I seen Republicans and Democrats fail to come together when confronted with a crisis."

"Is that what we’ve come to?" Collins said, criticizing Democrats over the delay.

"We don’t have another day. We don’t have another hour. We don’t have another minute to delay acting."

These Demonicrats are the worst group of politicians in this country's history. There's really no debate.

Democrats want unfettered bargaining power for unions. Money for solar and wind energy. Fuck the victims of corona virus. See? I told you democrats were assholes!
Repugs just want to give corporations money no strings attached so they can buy back stocks and give CEO's huge paydays. If there is a bailout, ordinary people should come first and there should be accountability for how this money is spent.

Democrats want unfettered bargaining power for unions. Money for solar and wind energy. Fuck the victims of corona virus. See? I told you democrats were assholes!
Repugs just want to give corporations money no strings attached so they can buy back stocks and give CEO's huge paydays. If there is a bailout, ordinary people should come first and there should be accountability for how this money is spent.

Do you have proof of this?

There are a lot of ordinary people that own businesses and employ other ordinary people.
Also, the republicans have said that they would agree to rules as to how the corporations spent the money and specifically not letting them buy back stock.
It's an easy fix. Having said that, corporations employs hundreds of thousand people, and they didn't ask for this virus, they had nothing to do with this
virus, but they are feeling the repercussions of this virus. They also need help.

No, the bill was for Americans. But Pelosi wants to fill it with crap. Just like she tried to put tax payer funded abortions in the first one.

As soon as Republicans agree to no stock buyback for corporations it's a done deal.
Im good with that. I also raise you, not one member of congress or the Senate's gets paid till this is done. Deal?

Big League

These Demonicrats are the worst group of politicians in this country's history. There's really no debate.

Except this fact about ever-trumperworld.

It is only in the disastrous Trump era that we have been bludgeoned by ignorance, cruelty, incompetence and narcissism on an unprecedented scale.

Big League

Thats because its a corporate slush fund, rather than helping people in communities.
One only needs to look at their history of stock buy-backs to know what will be done with the money these corporations get.

Need to make sure taxpayer dollars actually go to those who need it.

Too bad for you that people who can actually read - and made the time to do so - aren't buying the talking points you were handed.
Here is another reason:
The Republican bill would let small businesses borrow up to $10 million, and those loans would then be forgiven for any business that avoids cuts in jobs or wages. That’s a fair deal. But Republicans are proposing different rules for big businesses. Recipients of government bailouts would be required to avoid job or wage cuts only “to the extent practicable” — a loophole so large it amounts to a lack of any meaningful obligation.

And, a reminder of what a slush fund is:
A slush fund, also called a black fund, is a fund or account that is not properly accounted, such as money used for corrupt or illegal purposes, especially in the political sphere.[1] Such funds may be kept hidden and maintained separately from money that is used for legitimate purposes. Slush funds may be employed by government or corporate officials in efforts to pay influential people discreetly in return for preferential treatment, advance information (such as non-public information in financial transactions), and other services.[2] The funds themselves may not be kept secret but the source of the funds or how they were acquired or for what purposes they are used may be hidden. Use of slush funds to influence government activities may be viewed as subversive of the democratic process.
You want to see a slush fund, go read Pelosi’s version. That is a true slush fund.

I understand your point. But, what do windmills, solar panels, post office bailouts and vote harvesting have to with this slush fund?

Bullshit.

I suggest you read the bill as I have before continuing your ignorant bloviating. You delivering groceries to food stores yet?
Oh, I am reading her ~bill~. Wish it was required reading for everyone. Talk about alot of jumping ship that would transpire. Oh my!

So which points would you like to discuss, or are you going to continue your ignorant bloviating?

Okay, so we give "ordinary people" all the money, and when this thing blows over, they have no employer to work for because they had to close their doors. Can you explain how that helps the ordinary people?

Are the Democrats going to monitor how ordinary people spend their money? You know, like make sure they pay bills instead of playing lottery numbers, or perhaps not going to McDonald's three times a day?

Now I understand such oversight of the average American isn't possible, but why give money to people who don't really need it; people in the medical field, people in the grocery store line of work, people who manufacture items to fight this problem be it companies that produce hand sanitizers, masks, or ventilators? How about all the people who work for the government?

None of these people are financially affected outside of their market investments such as retirement accounts. But whether you're working or not, we are all hurt in our investments.

Republicans Add Insult to Illness
Greed, germs and the art of no deal.
Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
  • March 23, 2020, 6:24 p.m. ET

• 23krugman1-articleLarge.jpg

Mitch McConnell speaking to reporters on Sunday after a motion in the Senate to proceed on the coronavirus financial stimulus bill failed.

Mitch McConnell speaking to reporters on Sunday after a motion in the Senate to proceed on the coronavirus financial stimulus bill failed.Credit...Erin Scott for The New York Times
    If you want a quick summary of the state of play over fiscal stimulus legislation, here it is: Republicans insist that we should fight a plague with trickle-down economics and crony capitalism. Democrats, for some reason, don’t agree, and think we should focus on directly helping Americans in need.

And if legislation is stalled, as it appears to be as I write this (although things change fast when we’re on Covid time), it’s because Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, is holding needy Americans hostage in an attempt to blackmail Democrats into giving Donald Trump a $500 billion slush fund.
    First, let’s talk about the nature of the economic crisis we face. At the worst point in the 2007-2009 recession, America was losing around 800,000 jobs per month. Right now, we’re probably losing several million jobs every week.

What’s causing these job losses? So far it’s not what usually happens in a recession, when businesses lay off workers because consumers aren’t spending enough. What we’re seeing instead are the effects of social distancing: restaurants, entertainment venues and many other establishments have been closed to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Now, while social distancing is currently driving employment destruction, there will eventually be a second, more conventional round of job losses as distressed families and businesses cut back on spending. So there is also a case for stimulus to sustain overall spending — although helping Americans in need will provide much of that stimulus, by also helping them continue to spend.So what’s in the stimulus bill that McConnell is trying to ram through the Senate? It grudgingly provides some, but only some, of the aid Americans in distress will need. Funny, isn’t it, how helping ordinary Americans is always framed as a “Democratic demand”? And even there the legislation includes poison pills, like a provision that would deny aid to many nonprofit institutions like nursing homes and group homes for the disabled.But it also includes a $500 billion slush fund for corporations that the Trump administration could allocate at its discretion, with essentially no oversight. This isn’t just terrible policy; it’s an insult to our intelligence
    https://www.nytimes.com/article/eas...on=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/...on=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

And we neither can nor should bring those jobs back until the pandemic has faded. What this tells us is that right now our highest priority isn’t job creation, it’s disaster relief: giving families and small businesses that have lost their incomes enough money to afford necessities while the shutdown lasts. Oh, and providing generous aid to hospitals, clinics and other health care providers in this time of incredible stress.

After all, it would be hard to justify giving any administration that kind of power to reward its friends and punish those it considers enemies. It’s almost inconceivable that anyone would propose giving such authority to the Trump administration.
Remember, we’ve had more than three years to watch this administration in action. We’ve seen Trump refuse to disclose anything about his financial interests, amid abundant evidence that he is profiting at the public’s expense. Trump’s trade war has been notable for the way in which favored companies somehow manage to get tariff exemptions while others are denied. And as you read this, Trump is refusing to use his authority to require production of essential medical gear.
So it would be totally out of character for this administration to allocate huge sums fairly and in the public interest.
Cronyism aside, there’s also the issue of competence. Why would you give vast discretionary power to a team that utterly botched the response to the coronavirus because Trump didn’t want to hear bad news? Why would you place economic recovery efforts in the hands of people who were assuring us just weeks ago that the virus was contained and the economy was “holding up nicely”?

Finally, we’ve just had a definitive test of the underlying premise of the McConnell slush fund — that if you give corporations money without strings attached they will use it for the benefit of workers and the economy as a whole. In 2017 Republicans rammed through a huge corporate tax cut, which they assured us would lead to higher wages and surging business investment.
Neither of these things happened; instead, corporations basically used the money to buy back their own stock. Why would this time be any different?

As I write this, Republicans are ranting that Democrats are sabotaging the economy by refusing to pass McConnell’s bill — which is a bit rich for those who remember the G.O.P.’s scorched-earth opposition to everything Barack Obama proposed. But in any case, if McConnell really wants action, he could get it easily either by dropping his demand for a Trump-controlled slush fund or by passing the stimulus bill House Democrats are likely to offer very soon.

And maybe that will happen within a few days. As I said, we’re now living on Covid time. But right now Republicans seem dead set on exploiting a crisis their own president helped create by his refusal to take the pandemic seriously.

Bullshit.

Oh, I am reading her ~bill~. Wish it was required reading for everyone. Talk about alot of jumping ship that would transpire. Oh my!

So which points would you like to discuss, or are you going to continue your ignorant bloviating?
What should we start with first. ..
Let’s try expanded tax credits for wind and solar panel cmpanies, or maybe controlling who sits on company boards, or maybe fuel emissions standards for airlines. Let’s start there. Now answer the question of what do they have to do with the coronavirus and working families getting relief. Start there.

Republicans Add Insult to Illness
Greed, germs and the art of no deal.
Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
  • March 23, 2020, 6:24 p.m. ET

• 23krugman1-articleLarge.jpg

Mitch McConnell speaking to reporters on Sunday after a motion in the Senate to proceed on the coronavirus financial stimulus bill failed.

Mitch McConnell speaking to reporters on Sunday after a motion in the Senate to proceed on the coronavirus financial stimulus bill failed.Credit...Erin Scott for The New York Times
    If you want a quick summary of the state of play over fiscal stimulus legislation, here it is: Republicans insist that we should fight a plague with trickle-down economics and crony capitalism. Democrats, for some reason, don’t agree, and think we should focus on directly helping Americans in need.

And if legislation is stalled, as it appears to be as I write this (although things change fast when we’re on Covid time), it’s because Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, is holding needy Americans hostage in an attempt to blackmail Democrats into giving Donald Trump a $500 billion slush fund.
    First, let’s talk about the nature of the economic crisis we face. At the worst point in the 2007-2009 recession, America was losing around 800,000 jobs per month. Right now, we’re probably losing several million jobs every week.

What’s causing these job losses? So far it’s not what usually happens in a recession, when businesses lay off workers because consumers aren’t spending enough. What we’re seeing instead are the effects of social distancing: restaurants, entertainment venues and many other establishments have been closed to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Now, while social distancing is currently driving employment destruction, there will eventually be a second, more conventional round of job losses as distressed families and businesses cut back on spending. So there is also a case for stimulus to sustain overall spending — although helping Americans in need will provide much of that stimulus, by also helping them continue to spend.So what’s in the stimulus bill that McConnell is trying to ram through the Senate? It grudgingly provides some, but only some, of the aid Americans in distress will need. Funny, isn’t it, how helping ordinary Americans is always framed as a “Democratic demand”? And even there the legislation includes poison pills, like a provision that would deny aid to many nonprofit institutions like nursing homes and group homes for the disabled.But it also includes a $500 billion slush fund for corporations that the Trump administration could allocate at its discretion, with essentially no oversight. This isn’t just terrible policy; it’s an insult to our intelligence
    https://www.nytimes.com/article/easy-recipes-coronavirus.html?algo=bandit-story_desk_filter&fellback=false&imp_id=975667981&imp_id=895782016&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article®ion=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/parenting/coronavirus-divorce-coparenting.html?algo=bandit-story_desk_filter&fellback=false&imp_id=119293399&imp_id=770557884&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article®ion=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

And we neither can nor should bring those jobs back until the pandemic has faded. What this tells us is that right now our highest priority isn’t job creation, it’s disaster relief: giving families and small businesses that have lost their incomes enough money to afford necessities while the shutdown lasts. Oh, and providing generous aid to hospitals, clinics and other health care providers in this time of incredible stress.

After all, it would be hard to justify giving any administration that kind of power to reward its friends and punish those it considers enemies. It’s almost inconceivable that anyone would propose giving such authority to the Trump administration.
Remember, we’ve had more than three years to watch this administration in action. We’ve seen Trump refuse to disclose anything about his financial interests, amid abundant evidence that he is profiting at the public’s expense. Trump’s trade war has been notable for the way in which favored companies somehow manage to get tariff exemptions while others are denied. And as you read this, Trump is refusing to use his authority to require production of essential medical gear.
So it would be totally out of character for this administration to allocate huge sums fairly and in the public interest.
Cronyism aside, there’s also the issue of competence. Why would you give vast discretionary power to a team that utterly botched the response to the coronavirus because Trump didn’t want to hear bad news? Why would you place economic recovery efforts in the hands of people who were assuring us just weeks ago that the virus was contained and the economy was “holding up nicely”?

Finally, we’ve just had a definitive test of the underlying premise of the McConnell slush fund — that if you give corporations money without strings attached they will use it for the benefit of workers and the economy as a whole. In 2017 Republicans rammed through a huge corporate tax cut, which they assured us would lead to higher wages and surging business investment.
Neither of these things happened; instead, corporations basically used the money to buy back their own stock. Why would this time be any different?

As I write this, Republicans are ranting that Democrats are sabotaging the economy by refusing to pass McConnell’s bill — which is a bit rich for those who remember the G.O.P.’s scorched-earth opposition to everything Barack Obama proposed. But in any case, if McConnell really wants action, he could get it easily either by dropping his demand for a Trump-controlled slush fund or by passing the stimulus bill House Democrats are likely to offer very soon.

And maybe that will happen within a few days. As I said, we’re now living on Covid time. But right now Republicans seem dead set on exploiting a crisis their own president helped create by his refusal to take the pandemic seriously.
I have never read such bullshit in my life. Are you and they for real?
2D98A8DD-7229-43D1-977F-48F4AF949983.gif

Forum List

Back