Close the USPS, cut 600,000 people and 30,000 offices?

Yeah, let's get rid of one of the few things the feds do that is actually constitutionally mandated. So you might want to see Article 5.

It is supposed to be self-sufficient. Taxpayers are on the hook. It's the way they do things as I was told many years ago taking a test for a position.

It is supposed to be self-sufficient. Taxpayers are on the hook. It's the way they do things as I was told many years ago taking a test for a position.

Really, it's one of the functions that Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1 authorizes the collection of taxes for.

Really, it's one of the functions that Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1 authorizes the collection of taxes for.

Are they 37 billion dollars short because they cannot compete? Even with massive increases in mail rates. This has been a question for a few decades. Mail is becoming a luxury as a nation gets poorer with the employees getting great benefits and retirement along with salary. All of this while more and more people get their official correspondence done by other means. And I do use the mail system a lot. As it is a comfort from another era.

They need to fix the post office, perhaps get out of the package business and stick to actual mail. It is is one of the few services that reaches rural Americans consistently. Many Americans would be left without service if mail delivery was made private. Currently physical mail is not very popular, but that could change given Biden's desire to stir up trouble with nations known for hacking.

Are they 37 billion dollars short because they cannot compete? Even with massive increases in mail rates. This has been a question for a few decades. Mail is becoming a luxury as a nation gets poorer with the employees getting great benefits and retirement along with salary. All of this while more and more people get their official correspondence done by other means. And I do use the mail system a lot. As it is a comfort from another era.

The post office needs to be restructured but not eliminated. You can thank congress for allowing them to unionize and buying their votes with ridiculous contracts. UPS, FEDEX, DHL and others use the PO for last mile delivery. Do you really think they would want to deliver all the political flyers, ads, sales flyers and catalogs to every address in the country?

The post office needs to be restructured but not eliminated. You can thank congress for allowing them to unionize and buying their votes with ridiculous contracts. UPS, FEDEX, DHL and others use the PO for last mile delivery. Do you really think they would want to deliver all the political flyers, ads, sales flyers and catalogs to every address in the country?

So will the restructuring happen, or the endless government never get rid of or change existing entities continue? Politics also is involved for voters.

So you saying Article 1, Section 8 is simply a list of suggestions?

it’s a list of powers they have. The complete list of powers the Congress has

Just because you have the power doesn’t mean you have to use it

There is no mandate. Try again

USPS would be if it weren't for this.

Congress first established the prefunding mandate in the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, the last major legislative overhaul of the Postal Service, and the requirement has hampered the agency ever since.

The Postal Service has lost money for 13 consecutive years and a majority of those losses stemmed from the prefunding requirement.
In fiscal 2019, for example, 83% of the $8.8 billion the agency lost came from payments into its retiree pension fund and retiree health benefits fund.
Critics of the mandate include a range of Republicans, Democrats, mailers and labor unions. They have estimated the law requires USPS to fund the benefits for retirees up to 75 years in the future, an obligation virtually no other government entities face.

So will the restructuring happen, or the endless government never get rid of or change existing entities continue? Politics also is involved for voters.

Oh, you can bet on gridlock, too many special interests involved.

Last edited:
it’s a list of powers they have. The complete list of powers the Congress has

Just because you have the power doesn’t mean you have to use it

There is no mandate. Try again

I think the Founders, congress and the courts would disagree. But you're welcome to your fantasies.

USPS prices are way too low. It cost 20 times more to send a letter by any other carrier. Plus the other carriers depend on them for last mile delivery.

I think the Founders, congress and the courts would disagree. But you're welcome to your fantasies.

the founders wrote it… so i think not.

but if you have some authority showing otherwise provide it

The claim: Postmaster General Louis DeJoy has $70 million invested in companies that compete with the United States Postal Service​

President Donald Trump appointed a new postmaster general for the U.S. Postal Service in May, and this summer his pick has come under criticism on social media.

Forum List

Back