Close the USPS, cut 600,000 people and 30,000 offices?

The claim: Postmaster General Louis DeJoy has $70 million invested in companies that compete with the United States Postal Service​

President Donald Trump appointed a new postmaster general for the U.S. Postal Service in May, and this summer his pick has come under criticism on social media.

Did you bother to read the link that said the facebook post was actually debunked? USA Today sort of buried the lead…but read it

where in the Constitution does it mandate a post office?
Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads." The Post Office has the constitutional authority to designate mail routes. The Post Office is also empowered to construct or designate post offices with the implied authority to carry, deliver, and regulate the mail of the United States as a whole.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads." The Post Office has the constitutional authority to designate mail routes. The Post Office is also empowered to construct or designate post offices with the implied authority to carry, deliver, and regulate the mail of the United States as a whole.
yep the Constitution the power to create it, it doesn’t however mandate they do.

Having the power to do something doesn’t mean you have to do it

yep the Constitution the power to create it, it doesn’t however mandate they do.
Yes, they do mandate it.

"To establish Post Offices and post Roads."

They could have built one post office and one road but it was a mandate.

Having the power to do something doesn’t mean you have to do it
That's the problem with politicians but that's for another thread.
In this case, they did.

Yes, they do mandate it.

In this case, they did.
haha it gives them the power…read it again in total, not just the part you like

there is no mandate to create one, merely Art 1 Sect 8 gives them the power to create it.

all Sect 8 does is list the powers the federal Govt has. It doesn’t mandate they exercise any of it

Yes, they do mandate it.

In this case, they did.
I like this idea. The Constitution doesn't say that California can't ban guns since it says "shall not be infringed"...it doesn't say who can and cannot infringe! Apparently it was a suggestion not to infringe.

Post office is still a viable resource. They just need to retool things is all.

Still deliver normal mail. Nothing else they are millions of rural Americans source of delivery.

Biggest thing they can do is work with ups, FedEx, dhl, etc. They could do those rural deliveries for them, during holidays pick up slack, use USPS planes to route cargo for them if need be, and so on. All they need to do is intergrate their tracking systems with theirs.

USPS also is a international entity. I can ship something from the post office to Germany so it isn't like just America would be effected.

Part of the problem though is when they quit having the post office be a federal institution. It went to shit after that. Even postal workers stopped wearing uniforms around here and people that don't give a shit took over jobs. Post office used to be a sought after job because the pay was good, good benefits and you were a federal employee.

haha it gives them the power…read it again in total, not just the part you like

there is no mandate to create one, merely Art 1 Sect 8 gives them the power to create it.

all Sect 8 does is list the powers the federal Govt has. It doesn’t mandate they exercise any of it
WTF?
So...............................why is it in there?

Could it be..........................There was a NEED for post offices and roads?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nah, let's not.

As an 84-year-old, I take the USPS for granted.

1. I still receive a few print publications by mail.

2. Because of email, many postal employees seem to realize their jobs are at stake, so they have become more courteous and conscientious.

3. Maybe it is a good idea to stop Saturday deliveries, except for Amazon deliveries.

4. The postal service, I hear tell, has long been a way for African Americans to have a secure and well-paying job.

5. For someone who does not even have a smartphone (only a flip phone for emergencies), I acknowledge that younger people seldom use the USPS.

a. For example, I hear some people pay their bills just by tapping their phones.

b. Although I no longer pay most of my bills by the USPS, I have most businesses charge my credit card, the monthly statement of which I receive by USPS and pay by (a landline!!!) telephone.

Yes, the USPS is in many ways an anachronism and will be changing radically in the coming decades.

The post office needs to be restructured but not eliminated. You can thank congress for allowing them to unionize and buying their votes with ridiculous contracts. UPS, FEDEX, DHL and others use the PO for last mile delivery. Do you really think they would want to deliver all the political flyers, ads, sales flyers and catalogs to every address in the country?

The world will not stop if junk mail were to be eliminated.

WTF?
So...............................why is it in there?

Could it be..........................There was a NEED for post offices and roads?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nah, let's not.
Yes...250 years ago, there may have been a need for post offices. That need has passed.

Problem of that is the left needs a bureaucracked run USPS to win federal elections, so don't expect any improvement, expect the opposite.

Besides, the left work in antonyms, everyday is opposite day.

Are they 37 billion dollars short because they cannot compete? Even with massive increases in mail rates. This has been a question for a few decades. Mail is becoming a luxury as a nation gets poorer with the employees getting great benefits and retirement along with salary. All of this while more and more people get their official correspondence done by other means. And I do use the mail system a lot. As it is a comfort from another era.
Your funny.
You ever wonder why no company on earth has sought to compete with the Post Office?
Now before you say UPS or FedEx.. that is parcel delivery. A whole other banana than letter mail.
For instance... in 2021 20 Billion Parcels were delivered. Letter mail??... try 143 billion.
And as for Parcels... the post office delivered 15% of those 20 billion parcels also.

Forum List

Back