Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

Based on what do you make that claim?

Murder is always rampant in lawless societies.
why make the claim "lawless" ...
1629161939816.png

when the "lawful" due so without interruption throughout history with a seemingly greater deliberation.

why make the claim "lawless" ...
View attachment 526838
when the "lawful" due so without interruption throughout history with a seemingly greater deliberation.
Oh geez, another person who doesn't understand Christian beliefs with a flawed premise and expecting people to answer it.

If you're speaking of the Crusades, which atheists seems to obsess over, and get completely wrong in their historical context... look up the doctrine of Just War, then return to the conversation.

You seem to forget that there were laws against murder and there were still lynch mobs. And that was still a very small percentage of the population
Far from the point, which was about mobs. Throughout time, it may be true that individuals have never been inclined to murder. However, mobs have always been a different story when it comes to death and destruction.

It hasn’t stopped priests from molesting children.
Or anyone else. Family members still hold the top percentage for molesting children. Priests, ministers, rabbi have always been below the general population, even below teachers and coaches.

Or anyone else. Family members still hold the top percentage for molesting children. Priests, ministers, rabbi have always been below the general population, even below teachers and coaches.
But the post I responded to says a book of rules will make someone less likely to commit the crime. How many criminals consider themselves Christian? You would think clergy would be held to a higher standard.

But the post I responded to says a book of rules will make someone less likely to commit the crime. How many criminals consider themselves Christian?
If someone claims Christianity, does that mean all Christians must answer for non-Christian acts? No. Stop being obtuse.

You would think clergy would be held to a higher standard.
They are.

That's why it was so shocking, because it was so rare.

Far from the point, which was about mobs. Throughout time, it may be true that individuals have never been inclined to murder. However, mobs have always been a different story when it comes to death and destruction.
And the laws we have don't stop them

I was only speaking of what I have generally observed in atheists. Your post caught my attention because of the terms 'militant' and 'angry'. I know what you mean my 'militant'--strong and determined. Coming from a family of atheists, I have a soft spot for them. Those in my family are not militant, so I was puzzled when I first met up with some online. No atheist in my family was forced into church or religious education early in life. They simply knew they held no belief and moved on from there. No one forced them into trying to believe.

Many atheists have trouble with how God is portrayed in the Old Testament. I had problems with that myself, but instead of sticking with what modern English--and Christianity--said about it, I delved into the ancient languages, ancient cultures, and scholarly Jewish commentary. It was amazing. It also took years and years of study. I had the immense interest to sustain that and lucky enough to make the time. The average person simply does not. Life is too short.

There are some atheists who come online who make every topic about the people posting...boring....

But perhaps you are right--those militant ones (be they atheists or not) who turn away from the topic to instead discuss those who post--may very well do that because they are angry with the one who is posting.
I wasn't raised atheist; my parents were believers, but never insisted we attend church. They didn't attend, either.

I decided I was an atheist in high school. God just didn't make sense to me. Like you, I was neither militant nor angry. I attended church at the invitation of my high-school sweetheart (now my wife of 30 years), and enjoyed the singing and the fellowship, but it had no effect on me spiritually.

I just can't imagine the mindset of those who get angry over other people's faith. It mystifies me.

Forum List

Back