Change of America

regent

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2012
What was the greatest event or person to change the direction of American history after the Constitution was ratified? In those 200 plus years, was it the Civil War, the H-bomb, communism, Lincoln, Henry Ford, the rise of political parties that had the greatest impact on changing the American way of life?

The Constitution essentially changed the confederation of states into a consolidation of states, and the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln were, for all intents and purposes, the signature on the bottom line of that change. Henry Ford and other business tycoons in no way changed America's direction; Americans were already free to innovate. They were merely exceptional. The H-bomb, likewise, should also not be a surprise.

Communism is a possible candidate, although the Democratic Party in the 1820s was led by people such as Andrew Jackson, who opposed a central bank and held other traditional American values.

Don't know if there is a single event that qualifies. The most significant long term effect on America was the railroad; it affected everything from technological innovation to accounting to the first large scale business management techniques to expansion of territory that could be exploited to interstate commercial relations to making other large interstate and international corporations viable to massive multi-national financing enterprises. I'm certain I've forgotten many other important effects, but it's still early in the 'morning' for me. lol

Most everything that happened after the railroads began expanding is related in some way or other to them, politics, banking, other businesses no longer merely regional enterprises but national ones, like Swift and Armour, Sears Roebuck, Carnegie Steel, Standard Oil, etc., etc,

Last edited:
Don't know if there is a single event that qualifies. The most significant long term effect on America was the railroad; it affected everything from technological innovation to accounting to the first large scale business management techniques to expansion of territory that could be exploited to interstate commercial relations to making other large interstate and international corporations viable to massive multi-national financing enterprises. I'm certain I've forgotten many other important effects, but it's still early in the 'morning' for me. lol

Most everything that happened after the railroads began expanding is related in some way or other to them, politics, banking, other businesses no longer merely regional enterprises but national ones, like Swift and Armour, Sears Roebuck, Carnegie Steel, Standard Oil, etc., etc,
Innovation impacts a country, sure, but it does not prevail upon its direction.

Coercion is the agent that changes direction.

little I've heard it was Lincoln that changed the USA . Just my OPINION but Norwegan nails it I think.

Probably the Civil War, which established the preeminence of the federal government. The subsequent rise and fall of the American empire has been fairly predictable since that unfortunate event.

Last edited:
slavery was nearly done with until the cotton gin, which made growing cotton the most lucrative thing to do.

I'd say it was Wilson and the progressives that forced Americans out of their stance of neutrality and into the blood bath of WW1 that has lead it down it's current path.

Imagine if we never went. All that money that we spend on the military would either be spent elsewhere or not even taxed.

Innovation impacts a country, sure, but it does not prevail upon its direction.

Coercion is the agent that changes direction.

Depends; changes in direction happen by consensus as often as by coercion. Economic opportunities, needs, and technology can easily affect a country's directions.

slavery was nearly done with until the cotton gin, which made growing cotton the most lucrative thing to do.

Yes. The cotton economy was the purist expression of financial capitalism in America at the time.

I'd say it was Wilson and the progressives that forced Americans out of their stance of neutrality and into the blood bath of WW1 that has lead it down it's current path.

Germany forced Americans out of their stance of neutrality. Wilhelm declared war on us. Same for Japan and Germany in WW I, Part 2.

Imagine if we never went. All that money that we spend on the military would either be spent elsewhere or not even taxed.

We increased our export markets substantially, as well as acquired valuable patents and tech.

President Harry Truman wasn't the brightest bulb in the marquee. He is the only president in history with a high school education. The crazies in the democrat party and the eggheads who were interested in how their creation would work on humans (or sub-humans) and the maniacs who were in charge of the greatest Military machine in history convinced the high school graduate to let the nuclear geenie out of the bottle. Japan was a defeated nation desperately trying to negotiate a reasonable surrender when Truman authorized the incineration of innocent civilians with the worst destructive device in history.

What was the greatest event or person to change the direction of American history after the Constitution was ratified? In those 200 plus years, was it the Civil War, the H-bomb, communism, Lincoln, Henry Ford, the rise of political parties that had the greatest impact on changing the American way of life?

I would say, with out a doubt, (illegal) immigration. It has changed the course of this country. It's almost like a small scale invasion by unarmed invaders, one we afraid to critically examine or realistically solve. A recent development, one most honest people are afraid to address.

Last edited:

Yes. The cotton economy was the purist expression of financial capitalism in America at the time.

Germany forced Americans out of their stance of neutrality. Wilhelm declared war on us. Same for Japan and Germany in WW I, Part 2.

We increased our export markets substantially, as well as acquired valuable patents and tech.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...UTF-8#q=why did Germany declare war on US ww1

you need a better public school edgimacatshun

Wilson wanted America out of isolation and didn't care how many died to get it done.

The body count of (D) Presidents is huge yet dems have the audacity to call everyone else warmongers.

The printing press changed the world...the internet is the modern day printing press and it has changed the US and the world significantly to the point that globalism is a reality we cannot escape.

What's it like to gent twice? :dunno:

This man changed the way of life for the entire world's population:

Drake Well

That is a fascinating area as well. There is an extensive collection of free out of print books available at Google Books and Archive.org on the beginnings of the oil industry in Pennsylvania, for those so inclined; it's definitely an important development. I can dig up some titles of interest for anybody interested in that stuff.

Last edited:
Re the early oil industry, a couple of free books at Google here:

The Derrick's Hand-book of Petroleum: A Complete Chronological and ... - Google Books

The Oil-well Driller: A History of the World's Greatest Enterprise, the Oil ... - Charles Austin Whiteshot - Google Books

I have more, at least a dozen or so, but no links handy as I got a new PC and haven't imported my old bookmarks.

There is also a lot on the stock markets and railroads of the 19th century, even stock market manuals with prices and corporate descriptions a la Moody's and Poor's, for those who don't have enough to do and like reading data on stock prices in various decades while reading on panics and booms, or biographies. Scans of De Bow's and Hunt's Merchant Reviews are also there at Google. Andrew Carnegie made a killing in the early oil boom, but bailed out of that area in favor of bridge building and steel, being Tom Scott's secretary and personal telegraph operator with the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back