The History that Has not been told.

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
I don’t think white children will grow up hating themselves to learn that blacks have done some great things in America. But think about the impact on a young black child to know that black people have some major accomplishments or originated things we still do today. It will also teach white children that they are not the only ones that contributed to the building of this nation, so they won’t grow up repeating the type of idiocy coming from adults as illustrated in this forum.

The Overlooked Black History of Memorial Day​

Nowadays, Memorial Day honors veterans of all wars, but its roots are in America’s deadliest conflict, the Civil War. Approximately 620,000 soldiers died, about two-thirds from disease.

The work of honoring the dead began right away all over the country, and several American towns claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. Researchers have traced the earliest annual commemoration to women who laid flowers on soldiers’ graves in the Civil War hospital town of Columbus, Miss., in April 1866. But historians like the Pulitzer Prize winner David Blight have tried to raise awareness of freed slaves who decorated soldiers’ graves a year earlier, to make sure their story gets told too.

According to Blight’s 2001 book Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory, a commemoration organized by freed slaves and some white missionaries took place on May 1, 1865, in Charleston, S.C., at a former planters’ racetrack where Confederates held captured Union soldiers during the last year of the war. At least 257 prisoners died, many of disease, and were buried in unmarked graves, so black residents of Charleston decided to give them a proper burial.

In the approximately 10 days leading up to the event, roughly two dozen African American Charlestonians reorganized the graves into rows and built a 10-foot-tall white fence around them. An archway overhead spelled out “Martyrs of the Race Course” in black letters.

About 10,000 people, mostly black residents, participated in the May 1 tribute, according to coverage back then in the Charleston Daily Courier and the New York Tribune. Starting at 9 a.m., about 3,000 black schoolchildren paraded around the race track holding roses and singing the Union song “John Brown’s Body,” and were followed by adults representing aid societies for freed black men and women. Black pastors delivered sermons and led attendees in prayer and in the singing of spirituals, and there were picnics. James Redpath, the white director of freedman’s education in the region, organized about 30 speeches by Union officers, missionaries and black ministers. Participants sang patriotic songs like “America” and “We’ll Rally around the Flag” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.” In the afternoon, three white and black Union regiments marched around the graves and staged a drill.

Dude. You're not black. Why do you insist on playing this stupid charade? You were outed on two other forums pulling the same schtick. I I started reading your posts by accident and could immediately tell it was you all over again.

Dude. You're not black. Why do you insist on playing this stupid charade? You were outed on two other forums pulling the same schtick. I I started reading your posts by accident and could immediately tell it was you all over again.
I haven't been outed anywhere. Name the forums.

Forum List

Back