Catholic Leader: Marriage Is ‘Not About Love’ Or ‘Making People Happy’

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.

Catholic Leader Battles With Current Host: Marriage Is ‘Not About Love’ Or ‘Making People Happy’

Appearing on Current TV’s Viewpoint Thursday evening, Catholic League President Bill Donohue explained his opposition to the “bizarre idea” of same-sex marriage by noting that he believes marriage has nothing to do with love and happiness; but rather it is entirely about procreating.

“This idea of two men getting married is the most bizarre idea in human history,” Donohue told host John Fugelsang, adding that the purpose of marriage is a “duty” to procreate.

“The whole purpose of marriage is to have a family,” he said. “It’s not about making people happy. It’s not about love.”

Fugelsang repeatedly pressed Donohue to explain where Jesus preaches anything about “treating our gay friends like second-class citizens.” The host also pointed out that the Catholic leader is a hypocrite for demanding we follow a Leviticus passage that prohibits “lying with another man,” yet he doesn’t refrain from eating pork or from wearing shirts with mixed fibers.

“I think there’s a little bit of difference between what kind of shirt I buy and two guys having anal sex,” Donohue dismissed.

Awesome video smackdown at the link. :lol:

You think that's Odd, people like you think marriage is all about two guys sticking it into each other. XXXXXXX Odd, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
You think that's Odd, people like you think marriage is all about two guys sticking it into each other. Odd, huh?

It is odd for someone to define marriage for other people.
It is also odd to be a hateful bigot prick.
But what can you do.

Marriage is/was defined by God, numbnuts.
Not by man.
Do what you can with that.

Mr. Donohue is unequivocally wrong. Marriage is about the tax breaks...

Okay, seriously...

If marriage is not about love or making people happy, the practice should be abolished. I wouldn't consider spending the rest of my life with someone I didn't love, someone who didn't bring me happiness. It's doomed to fail otherwise. How do those Catholics feel about divorce and adultery again?

Criminy, statements like that make me happy I dumped the church decades ago...

Here's to being a Recovering Catholic...

Mr. Donohue is unequivocally wrong. Marriage is about the tax breaks...

Okay, seriously...

If marriage is not about love or making people happy, the practice should be abolished. I wouldn't consider spending the rest of my life with someone I didn't love, someone who didn't bring me happiness. It's doomed to fail otherwise. How do those Catholics feel about divorce and adultery again?

Criminy, statements like that make me happy I dumped the church decades ago...

Here's to being a Recovering Catholic...

To be filed under 'Things we will be talking about for a long time'.

He's right. Marriage is not about love. If two people just love each other they can move in together and that's that. Marriage is something beyond that.
I'll add that love is the worst reason to get married, as we see by the divorce rate.

You think that's Odd, people like you think marriage is all about two guys sticking it into each other's mouth and ass. Odd, huh?

But what can you do.

Not by man.

"God" as defined/personified in the bible was INVENTED by man--a man-made mythology like those that preceded it--our finite minds trying to explain and rationalize the infinite.

So, marriage was invented, defined, and re-defined by man.

Enjoy!!

In 300 A.D. when the early church decided to assemble a collection of writings, they knew they were mostly historical fiction and allegory. But at some point, Church leaders realized calling it the "word of God" was a way to stifle any real critical analysis or questioning.

God didn't "write" the bible -- men did. Storytellers passing the oral tradition on to a written format and then a small sampling of writings was created and called The Bible (which means Library)

During this time, a popular form a fiction was the apocalyptic allegory -- the readers back then knew this to be fiction. Yet today people analyze Revelations as prophecy looking for signs of the second coming-- how funky is that? It would be like future generation reading Stephen King and looking for signs.

He's right. The purpose of a marriage is to establish and protect children. At one time marriage was about establishing and protecting wealth and children for orderly succession. People who do not intend to have children, or cannot have children gain very little benefit from marriage. Older people are more likely to live together for companionship and mutual financial benefit but have no real need of marriage.

The whole concept of marriage "to show the world how much we love one another" is fairly recent.

So who is the ultimate decider of what things mean and how often to we get to change the meanings of words if they start making us feel bad ?

Gays apparently see the word 'marriage' as something that will get them bennies because they were already free to love each other.

You think that's Odd, people like you think marriage is all about two guys sticking it into each other. Odd, huh?

But what can you do.

Not by man.

When you can get federal benefits for being married God no longer has a say in who can get married.

He's right. The purpose of a marriage is to establish and protect children. At one time marriage was about establishing and protecting wealth and children for orderly succession. People who do not intend to have children, or cannot have children gain very little benefit from marriage. Older people are more likely to live together for companionship and mutual financial benefit but have no real need of marriage.

The whole concept of marriage "to show the world how much we love one another" is fairly recent.

And there's always the ulterior motive of legal attachment . People who are legally married are much more prone to feel protected and secure even if it's only an illusion.

So who is the ultimate decider of what things mean and how often to we get to change the meanings of words if they start making us feel bad ?

Gays apparently see the word 'marriage' as something that will get them bennies because they were already free to love each other.

You mean like how, when it's a private insurance company, it's "Cost/Benefit Analysis" but when it's the government, it's "Death Panels"?

:)

You mean like how, when it's a private insurance company, it's "Cost/Benefit Analysis" but when it's the government, it's "Death Panels"?

:)

Exactly---

so who decides? The Supreme Court ? Are they the god of the progressives or is that only if they do what the progressives want ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back