Zone1 Catholic Church Is a Cult

Purification and Paradise, as far as I know, is not the same place--much on the order that Paradise and Heaven are not the same place. Paradise is often described as a garden, or a place of rest and refreshment.
And if you knew the Bible you’d know those before Jesus who were making it to heaven were in ‘paradise’. Luke tells us Abraham and all the Saints are already with God. Others are in Hades with a chasm between the two.

No matter how fast you spin it, there is no reference to us saints going to a place of torment in order to get to heaven.

IF you ever read the Bible you’d know the Catholic Church is a cult of manmade rituals and anti-Christian practices and rituals.

Purgatory
Saints
Father
Salvation

Just some of the points made that no translation can justify in your cult.

Purgatory:

"Make friends quickly with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; truly I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny" (Matthew 5:25-26).

"For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire." (Corinthians 3:11-15)

Saints:

The Bible uses the word "Saint" to mean anyone who lives a "Holy life and is set apart for God's special purpose". By that standard, the majority of people that focus their lives living according to Biblical teachings could be considered "Saints".

The Catholic Church humbly honors God by only using the word for God's most devout followers. It is done in a respectful way to preserve the meaning of the word.

Father:

Jesus also said not to call your teachers "Rabbi" (Teacher) and not to call anyone "Master" (Lord). He was emphasizing the importance of understanding the difference between using those words in every day language vs in a spiritual way.

The words "Father, Teacher and Master/Lord" are used repeatedly in both the Old and New Testaments:

For example:

Job indicates he played a fatherly role with the less fortunate: “I was a father to the poor, and I searched out the cause of him whom I did not know” (Job 29:16). And God himself declares that he will give a fatherly role to Eliakim, the steward of the house of David: “In that day I will call my servant Eliakim, the son of Hilkiah . . . and I will clothe him with [a] robe, and will bind [a] girdle on him, and will commit . . . authority to his hand; and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah” (Isa. 22:20–21).

This type of fatherhood applies not only to those who are wise counselors or benefactors (like Job) or both (like Eliakim); it also applies to those who have a fatherly spiritual relationship with one. For example, Elisha cries, “My father, my father!” to Elijah as the latter is carried up to heaven in a whirlwind (2 Kgs. 2:12). Later, Elisha himself is called a father by the king of Israel (2 Kgs. 6:21).

Jesus is not forbidding us to call men “fathers” who actually are such—either literally or spiritually. He is warning people against inaccurately attributing fatherhood—or a particular kind or degree of fatherhood—to those who do not have it.

As the apostolic example shows, some individuals genuinely do have a spiritual fatherhood, meaning that they can be referred to as spiritual fathers. What must not be done is to confuse their form of spiritual paternity with that of God. Ultimately, God is our supreme protector, provider, and instructor. Correspondingly, it is wrong to view any individual other than God as having these roles.

Perhaps the most pointed New Testament reference to the theology of the spiritual fatherhood of priests is Paul’s statement, “I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel” (1 Cor. 4:14–15).

Peter followed the same custom, referring to Mark as his son: “She who is at Babylon, who is likewise chosen, sends you greetings; and so does my son Mark” (1 Pet. 5:13). The apostles sometimes referred to entire churches under their care as their children. Paul writes, “Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you; for children ought not to lay up for their parents, but parents for their children” (2 Cor. 12:14); and, “My little children, with whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you!” (Gal. 4:19).

John said, “My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1); “No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my children follow the truth” (3 John 4). In fact, John also addresses men in his congregations as “fathers” (1 John 2:13–14).

By referring to these people as their spiritual sons and spiritual children, Peter, Paul, and John imply their own roles as spiritual fathers. Since the Bible frequently speaks of this spiritual fatherhood, we Catholics acknowledge it and follow the custom of the apostles by calling priests “father.” Failure to acknowledge this is a failure to recognize and honor a great gift God has bestowed on the Church: the spiritual fatherhood of the priesthood.

Salvation?

Both the Old and New Testaments state that living a humble and pious spiritual life is key to living in accordance with God's ways. Living in a material world can make that difficult to do on an everyday, physical level. How can one reconcile the two? It's enough to make even the most devout followers stressed out, doubtful of themselves, the world and so forth.

The Catholic Church teaches that salvation comes through faith - that can be true. But what happens when one is "spiritually faithful" (or doing their best to be) but has a bad week? Bad month? Bad year? Eventually what could happen is that person will lose track of their "spirituality" because the cross they are carrying becomes too heavy to carry.

So we are given the gift of being able to talk to someone about it, confess our mistakes to God, ask for forgiveness from God and then given the opportunity of taking the first step of getting "back on track" - by prayer, penance - humbling ourselves. That doesn't mean that a person needs to go to physical confession every time they slip up - if they are sincere about it, they can do it any time they feel the need - at home, in a peaceful place - there's nothing wrong with humbling yourself and admitting your mistakes.

Salvation and works go hand in hand. For some, their faith is so strong that their works are shown through their faith. For others, their works, sacrifices and piety are so strong that their faith is shown by their works.

Last edited:
Purgatory:

"Make friends quickly with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; truly I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny" (Matthew 5:25-26).

"For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire." (Corinthians 3:11-15)

Saints:

The Bible uses the word "Saint" to mean anyone who lives a "Holy life and is set apart for God's special purpose". By that standard, the majority of people that focus their lives living according to Biblical teachings could be considered "Saints".

The Catholic Church humbly honors God by only using the word for God's most devout followers. It is done in a respectful way to preserve the meaning of the word.

Father:

Jesus also said not to call your teachers "Rabbi" (Teacher) and not to call anyone "Master" (Lord). He was emphasizing the importance of understanding the difference between using those words in every day language vs in a spiritual way.

The words "Father, Teacher and Master/Lord" are used repeatedly in both the Old and New Testaments:

For example:

Job indicates he played a fatherly role with the less fortunate: “I was a father to the poor, and I searched out the cause of him whom I did not know” (Job 29:16). And God himself declares that he will give a fatherly role to Eliakim, the steward of the house of David: “In that day I will call my servant Eliakim, the son of Hilkiah . . . and I will clothe him with [a] robe, and will bind [a] girdle on him, and will commit . . . authority to his hand; and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah” (Isa. 22:20–21).

This type of fatherhood applies not only to those who are wise counselors or benefactors (like Job) or both (like Eliakim); it also applies to those who have a fatherly spiritual relationship with one. For example, Elisha cries, “My father, my father!” to Elijah as the latter is carried up to heaven in a whirlwind (2 Kgs. 2:12). Later, Elisha himself is called a father by the king of Israel (2 Kgs. 6:21).

Jesus is not forbidding us to call men “fathers” who actually are such—either literally or spiritually. He is warning people against inaccurately attributing fatherhood—or a particular kind or degree of fatherhood—to those who do not have it.

As the apostolic example shows, some individuals genuinely do have a spiritual fatherhood, meaning that they can be referred to as spiritual fathers. What must not be done is to confuse their form of spiritual paternity with that of God. Ultimately, God is our supreme protector, provider, and instructor. Correspondingly, it is wrong to view any individual other than God as having these roles.

Perhaps the most pointed New Testament reference to the theology of the spiritual fatherhood of priests is Paul’s statement, “I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel” (1 Cor. 4:14–15).

Peter followed the same custom, referring to Mark as his son: “She who is at Babylon, who is likewise chosen, sends you greetings; and so does my son Mark” (1 Pet. 5:13). The apostles sometimes referred to entire churches under their care as their children. Paul writes, “Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you; for children ought not to lay up for their parents, but parents for their children” (2 Cor. 12:14); and, “My little children, with whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you!” (Gal. 4:19).

John said, “My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1); “No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my children follow the truth” (3 John 4). In fact, John also addresses men in his congregations as “fathers” (1 John 2:13–14).

By referring to these people as their spiritual sons and spiritual children, Peter, Paul, and John imply their own roles as spiritual fathers. Since the Bible frequently speaks of this spiritual fatherhood, we Catholics acknowledge it and follow the custom of the apostles by calling priests “father.” Failure to acknowledge this is a failure to recognize and honor a great gift God has bestowed on the Church: the spiritual fatherhood of the priesthood.

Salvation?

Both the Old and New Testaments state that living a humble and pious spiritual life is key to living in accordance with God's ways. Living in a material world can make that difficult to do on an everyday, physical level. How can one reconcile the two? It's enough to make even the most devout followers stressed out, doubtful of themselves, the world and so forth.

The Catholic Church teaches that salvation comes through faith - that can be true. But what happens when one is "spiritually faithful" (or doing their best to be) but has a bad week? Bad month? Bad year? Eventually what could happen is that person will lose track of their "spirituality" because the cross they are carrying becomes too heavy to carry.

So we are given the gift of being able to talk to someone about it, confess our mistakes to God, ask for forgiveness from God and then given the opportunity of taking the first step of getting "back on track" - by prayer, penance - humbling ourselves. That doesn't mean that a person needs to go to physical confession every time they slip up - if they are sincere about it, they can do it any time they feel the need - at home, in a peaceful place - there's nothing wrong with humbling yourself and admitting your mistakes.

Salvation and works go hand in hand. For some, their faith is so strong that their works are shown through their faith. For others, their works, sacrifices and piety are so strong that their faith is shown by their works.
So what’s your point?
Matthew. You think it refers to a torture after death.

You’re a fool.

21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26 Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.

So what’s your point?
Matthew. You think it refers to a torture after death.

You’re a fool.

21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26 Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.

The ministry of Jesus Christ was focused on both body and soul (spirit). That passage can pertain to what could happen to your physical body but the more important issue is what could happen to your soul...

“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

The ministry of Jesus Christ was focused on both body and soul (spirit). That passage can pertain to what could happen to your physical body but the more important issue is what could happen to your soul...

“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."
Call no man father.
There’s no such thing as purgatory.
Humans don’t create saints.
Faith in Jesus is everything you need for salvation to heaven.

Call no man father.
There’s no such thing as purgatory.
Humans don’t create saints.
Faith in Jesus is everything you need for salvation to heaven.
I'm not going to judge you or argue with you about something you were taught and firmly believe in your heart.

If I were you, I would do the same for others - judging others, calling people fools and damning the entirety of the Catholic Church and all its members because you interpret things differently than they do - won't do you any favors - in this life or the next.

I'm not going to judge you or argue with you about something you were taught and firmly believe in your heart.

If I were you, I would do the same for others - judging others, calling people fools and damning the entirety of the Catholic Church and all its members because you interpret things differently than they do - won't do you any favors - in this life or the next.
If I were you I’d start reading the Bible so you save your soul.

Many would take issue with the idea the individual can save his/her own soul.

No worries because my soul has been entrusted to God for decades. My trust is in him, not the King James Bible. ;)

“It must, of course, be held as a matter of faith that outside the apostolic Roman Church no one can be saved, that the Church is the only ark of salvation, and that whoever does not enter it will perish in the flood.”
Pope Pius IX

Dozens of other popes have said the same thing.

Yet the entire ministry of Jesus the Christ was all about simply accepting Him as the Son of God in your heart makes you saved. The criminal on the cross next to Jesus went to paradise simply because he came to faith as he witnessed what was going on.

Until Martin Luther the catholic cult kept the Bible in Latin so only a select few wealthy people could actually see what the Bible really said. You were put to death for translation of the Bible into a common language.

And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
Mathew 23
And guess what. Yep. More anti-Biblical teachings by the Catholic cult.

Catholics have an elite class of leaders that can never be questioned and must be obeyed. Only they are allowed to interpret the Bible.

Many of the teachings of the catholic cult are non Biblical and invented by leaders of the cult. They have a 900 page book on how the Bible is to be interpreted.
You are in error sir--These at Matt 7:21-23 accept Jesus in their hearts, they believe in Jesus, yet they will hear those words as judgement= Get away from me you who work iniquity( practice a sin) i must confess i never even knew you.
Yes catholicism is a cult and every trinity branch on earth is in the same boat. They fixed little.
The thief will be in paradise-Here-Rev 20 at the resurrection. Why? Because all sin is acquitted at death.( Romans 6:7) one cannot be rejudged for past sin once one dies-The wages of sin= death, that is already judged.
Heb 5:9 is clear--Salvation for those who OBEY. And Jesus was clear on that-( Matt 4:4) Man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY utterance from God--that means one takes the time to carefully study the OT-NT without fail. It NEVER stops. The ones taking the lead in the religion that has Jesus teach the OT-NT without fail to the flock. It NEVER stops.
I hope this has cleared matters up for you.

What verse would you like me to share? Old Testament? New Testament? How about both?

"Love the Lord, your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul and with all your strength." (Gospel of Mark (NT) & Deuteronomy (OT).

"Love your Neighbor as Yourself." (Gospel of Mark (NT) & Book of Leviticus (OT).

I am not perfect and there are days that can be challenging but on those days - by the grace of God - I try to stay in constant communion with God - through thoughts, prayers and actions. It may even get to the point that I begin to feel embarrassed on how much I rely on the words written within my heart. And as annoying as I may sound to God at times - God has never let me down and for that, I am eternally grateful.

That's me. As far as the entire "saving the soul" thing - that's above my pay grade. But I was told from a very reliable source to be at ease because "If two sparrows are sold for pennies - not one of them can fall to the ground without my Father's knowledge - and I am worth more than many sparrows." - (Matthew 10)

As far as your concern for others - if they are indeed genuine, then that's likely "ok" for yourself - because in the end, you're just stating what you believe. That said, it could also be a "slippery slope" - if you were to cause someone to stumble because of your harsh words, criticisms, etc:

Luke 17:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. So watch yourselves."

Intent is key here and I'm sure you're not intentionally trying to "cause people to stumble" - so even that can be forgiven by God's grace.

Here's a few more...

Isaiah 58:

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday."

Matthew 5:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they will have their fill.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure of heart, for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted in the cause of justice,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

And finally:

Matthew 7:

Do Not Judge.

“Do not judge, so that you in turn may not be judged. For you will be judged in the same way that you judge others, and the measure that you use for others will be used to measure you."

“Why do you take note of the splinter in your brother’s eye but do not notice the wooden plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’ while all the time the wooden plank remains in your own? 5 You hypocrite! First remove the wooden plank from your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly enough to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye."

I thank you for reminding me that I have quite a few planks to take out of my own eyes as well. Have a good night.

Purgatory:

Saints:

Father:

For example:

Salvation?

Argument 3 for Purgatory​

The author next cites Matthew 5 as evidence for purgatory: “25 Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid up the last cent.” He goes on to state that the word for prison is the Greek word phulake, which he says is used in 1 Peter 3 as a temporary holding place, which he says gives further support for his argument. What he does not say is that phulake is also used for the word “prison” throughout the New Testament, so there’s nothing special about how it’s used in 1 Peter 3.

So, is Jesus referring to purgatory here? As demonstrated above, Christ has paid for all of our sins, once for all, and God will remember our sins no more. Therefore, this can’t mean purgatory. In this passage, Christ is simply emphasizing that a sinner will never be let out of prison since he cannot pay for his sins because he lacks the ability to pay, namely, the sinlessness of Christ. What Jesus is saying, then, is that those who are guilty (everyone) should settle his sin before he gets to the judge. The only way to settle our sin is by believing in Jesus. The judge here is God, who will punish with an eternal death in hell all who have not settled their sins by faith in Christ, a punishment from which there is no “repayment.

John Calvin wrote about this passage (you have to love his sarcasm):

“But it is highly ridiculous in the Papists, to construct their purgatory out of a continued allegory on this passage. Nothing is more evident than that the subject of Christ's discourse is the cultivation of friendship among men. They have no shame, or conscientious scruple, to pervert his words, and to torture them into a widely different meaning, provided they can impose on the unlearned. But as they do not deserve a lengthened refutation, I shall only point out, in a single word, their shameful ignorance. The adversary is supposed by them to be the devil. But Christ enjoins those who believe on him to be agreed with the adversary. Therefore, in order that the Papists may find their purgatory here, they must first become the friends and brethren of devils. A farthing is well known to be the fourth part of a penny: but here, as is evident from Luke, it denotes a mite, or any small piece of money. Now, if we were disposed to caviling [irritating or annoying objection], we might here obtain another exposure of the absurdity of the Papists. For, if he who has once entered Purgatory will never leave it, till he has paid the last farthing, it follows, that the suffrages (as they call them) of the living for the dead are of no avail. For Christ makes no allowance, that others may free a debtor by satisfying for him, but expressly demands from each person the payment of what he owes. Now, if Moses and other satisfactions are useless, however warm the fire of Purgatory may be, yet the kitchens of priests and monks, for the sake of which they are so anxious to maintain it, will be cool enough.”​

Therefore, this argument does not support purgatory. Refuting Purgatory | Verse By Verse Ministry International

Argument 3 for Purgatory​

The author next cites Matthew 5 as evidence for purgatory: “25 Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid up the last cent.” He goes on to state that the word for prison is the Greek word phulake, which he says is used in 1 Peter 3 as a temporary holding place, which he says gives further support for his argument. What he does not say is that phulake is also used for the word “prison” throughout the New Testament, so there’s nothing special about how it’s used in 1 Peter 3.

So, is Jesus referring to purgatory here? As demonstrated above, Christ has paid for all of our sins, once for all, and God will remember our sins no more. Therefore, this can’t mean purgatory. In this passage, Christ is simply emphasizing that a sinner will never be let out of prison since he cannot pay for his sins because he lacks the ability to pay, namely, the sinlessness of Christ. What Jesus is saying, then, is that those who are guilty (everyone) should settle his sin before he gets to the judge. The only way to settle our sin is by believing in Jesus. The judge here is God, who will punish with an eternal death in hell all who have not settled their sins by faith in Christ, a punishment from which there is no “repayment.

John Calvin wrote about this passage (you have to love his sarcasm):

“But it is highly ridiculous in the Papists, to construct their purgatory out of a continued allegory on this passage. Nothing is more evident than that the subject of Christ's discourse is the cultivation of friendship among men. They have no shame, or conscientious scruple, to pervert his words, and to torture them into a widely different meaning, provided they can impose on the unlearned. But as they do not deserve a lengthened refutation, I shall only point out, in a single word, their shameful ignorance. The adversary is supposed by them to be the devil. But Christ enjoins those who believe on him to be agreed with the adversary. Therefore, in order that the Papists may find their purgatory here, they must first become the friends and brethren of devils. A farthing is well known to be the fourth part of a penny: but here, as is evident from Luke, it denotes a mite, or any small piece of money. Now, if we were disposed to caviling [irritating or annoying objection], we might here obtain another exposure of the absurdity of the Papists. For, if he who has once entered Purgatory will never leave it, till he has paid the last farthing, it follows, that the suffrages (as they call them) of the living for the dead are of no avail. For Christ makes no allowance, that others may free a debtor by satisfying for him, but expressly demands from each person the payment of what he owes. Now, if Moses and other satisfactions are useless, however warm the fire of Purgatory may be, yet the kitchens of priests and monks, for the sake of which they are so anxious to maintain it, will be cool enough.”​

Therefore, this argument does not support purgatory. Refuting Purgatory | Verse By Verse Ministry International

I was about to write a long and detailed post about some misinterpretations of Jesus' teachings but we can save that for another time.

As far as Calvin's long winded post is concerned - "Settling the debt" BEFORE you get to the judge IS purgatory - NOT AFTER. So no need to make pacts with the devil or any of that other nonsense. I would think a person that had that much time to think about it and write that elaborate paragraph would have figured that part out.

Forum List

Back